WHAT AMD IS EQUAL TO P4 4.0

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nitrom

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
WOW !!! Guys...after reading these postings I better crouch so I don't get flying tomatoes and rotten eggs.

So much passion over something so impersonal ???

Is it that important that one CPU is a notch faster than the other for some applications and viceversa?...as long as U R happy with your machine why do we have to denigrate each other?

Will be much better to utilize this space to exchange experiences on how to optimize what we have...by way of telling what is it that we did to our machines for better performance and most important HOW we did it. Sequence pictures will be nice.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
WOW !!! Guys...after reading these postings I better crouch so I don't get flying tomatoes and rotten eggs.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Crouch all you want! We know where you are and intend to pelt you with rocks and garbage! :lol:

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's the only Clawhammer I've ever installed. I know what to expect from Newcastles. As long as it takes your rig out behind the wood shed for a sound thrashing I'll be happy! :lol: wOOtz!

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power

pauldh

Illustrious
Especially in a cpu enthusiasts forum in which the topic is asking P4 4.0GHz = ______ A64. :eek:

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>

shaido7

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2003
I have a pentium 4 3 .2 gigahertz also had a 700 megahertz pentium 4 processor,also and amd xp2100. both of the pentiums have crashed on me many times. my brother has an amd athlon xp 2700 that runs flawlessly, I will never buy a pentium processor again i am always finding new things to understand and fix on this thing.in my opinion my p4 3.2 is a good processor but i cant wait to get an amd 64. i ve had both and i like amd better, also my p4 3.2 with hyper threading enabled i can do media and encode things and not really notice a difference between my p4 and my brothers amd if my p4 is faster it is not by much few seconds big wup
id rather have better performance in games and anyways i love rooting for the underdog screw intel and microsoft and nvidia they need competiton to keep things balanced! just my opinon.

pentium 4 3.2
oczpc3500 el ddr platinum matched ddr433
western digital raptor 74 gig 10k rpm
8knxp gigabyte
geforce 4 titanium 4600(i know get a faster card)soon!

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
but i cant wait to get an amd 64
)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Great, buy mine! Clocked at 2.25ghz it only beat my XP-3000+ by 2,000 in Aquamark3 with the same 9600XT. Big deal!

pauldh

Illustrious
I had clicked reply but then went back. It was overwhelming knowing where to start responding to his reply. :eek:

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Why do I get the feeling the all of those crashes had less to do with the CPU and more to do with other possible problems.

To save us both time, assume I know EVERYTHING :tongue:

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
You just got bad luck with AMD processors..like my friend
Too bad I got pretty good luck with all the AMD processors that I purchased..from K6-2 to Duron to Athlon XP to Athlon64.. I didn't have any single problem with any of them

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
In the past there was the SiS 735.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
The sis chipset OCers were hot for was the 635. The mobo that everyone loved was the ECS (yup, elcrapo themselves) K7S5A. Chances were very good that if you didn't have a great psu, you were sol.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think it was Leadtek. The ECS board was known to go very fast if you got a properly modified BIOS. And there was the whole issue with Asus, Abit, etc, dropping their 735 boards when VIA threatened to short them on KT266's if they offered a 735 board. Most of you AMD freaks were so accustomed to taking the shaft from VIA that you grew to like it and tightened your grip on that shaft.

Companies knew no matter how much better the 735 boards were you'd still clammer for the KT266 boards, so that getting short-supplied on KT266 chipsets would cause them financial hardship. You gave VIA the power to block the production of top-end 735 boards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
That was the only reason I went out and bought 3 of the A7S333 2 weeks before they arrived. I haven't been interested in via since then. The straw that broke the camel's back, as it were.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
In the U.S. we call that an "anti-competitive" practice. Imagine what the DOJ would do if MS told HP "Oh, so you want to add Linux systems to your lineup? Let's see how you feel about that after we tighten your supply of Windows licenses for a few weeks".

pat

Expert
humm. I tried the ECS board with 735 chipset.. Yes, it was fast, but died after 6-7 month... First ECS and last one ....

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
See? Great chipset, limitted to a crappy board, because ECS had enough industrial power that VIA couldn't scare them.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
Great, buy mine! Clocked at 2.25ghz it only beat my XP-3000+ by 2,000 in Aquamark3 with the same 9600XT. Big deal!
uhhh well maybe its your video card thats limiting you??

if you put a Geforce2 MX400 in a box with a P4 2ghz, and then stick it in a box with a 4ghz Prescott, you aint gonna see much difference in benchmark scores

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ya think? I always thought that Aquamark3 was somewhat CPU dependent. You wouldn't even notice 2-FPS more. I'll have to try it with a 9800Pro and see if it can stay with my Northwood.