[SOLVED] what are disadvantages in buying old used 2nd hand Ryzen CPU with warranty?

Oct 26, 2020
I was planning ryzen 7 2700x new build but as now 5000 series launched Ryzen 5 5600x and ryzen 7 5800x the price of ryzen 3700x and 3800x falled down but the price if ryzen 2700x increased and I got in mind that I am investing rs 20k for ryzen 2700x which is outdated and 2018 launched whereas ryzen 3600x and 5600x is costing at 19k and 21k new ryzen 7 3700x costing at 22k to 24k and ryzen 3800x in 28k to 30k.

So I decided to go for 2nd hand used ryzen 7 2700x and founded old used with 1 OE 2 years warranty left at 14k but surprisingly I found old used ryzen 7 3800x at rs 13k and so 3700x at 18k and 3900x at 25k

So I thought if old used 2n hand 3800x is cheaper than 2700x then why not to for 3700x or 3800x

But after searching I found that GPU or CPU may be misused or totured and life and health if CPU may be effected.

But as I have seen CPU has mist life time if 20years or more in computer components.

Now my question is What is risks disadvntages buying a old CPU does over clocking overusage or heavy rendering gaming or overheating cryptocurrency or mining effects lifespan of CPU or not

How can we check the heavy usage of CPU by testing seller PC if the seller claims its 1 or 3 months old. Is there any AMD manufacturer tool to check the health of CPU or remaining life of CPU.

As I saw the stress test tools for CPU testing but after testing from the stress test software where can I compare or match the result

Can we claim the warranty of used 2nd hand used CPU I'd got any problem later

Solution
@Newtonius bro firstly thak you for your precious time and esteemed advice opinions and helpful. I am highly obliged greatful for your knowledge sharing.

@Newtonius bro as u advice to ask from seller for voltage and daily average temps used the CPU . Hope they tell truth that they operated in 1.35volts and. Hide for overvoltage of 1.4v or 1.45v.

If we want to verify the words of the seller there any way any tool to capture the report of voltages the process or runned or throttled or overhearing error processor caused through hwinfo logs....or windows event logs ids...or vluescreen error logs....or bios event logs....can we get the past history of CPU proceasor overclocking overheating in within windows 10 or any...
There is no tool nor a sensor on the CPU that can determine the life expectancy. It dies when it dies. As for whether it's a good idea to buy a used CPU, it depends on how much VOLTAGE has been applied to it but generally it should be fine. If the person did use the CPU for mining/rendering, etc it would still be fine to use afterwards and the life expectancy wouldn't have been diminished all that much. I've used my 3900X for Folding at Home for months on end and it's perfectly fine.

What you need to ask the seller are for these 2 important details:
  1. What voltage was this CPU at daily?
  2. What were the daily average temps while in use?

For voltage, anything above 1.325v on an all core overclock may degrade performance a lot faster overtime. Anything above 1.35, and you're killing the CPU faster. Please note however this is ALL CORE. On stock settings it'll show 1.45 or higher, that is fine as it isn't actually 1.45v for all the cores. So if the seller says it was on stock, then don't worry about it.
As for temps, if it was stabilized below 95c, then it should be fine. 95C is the max temp for the AMD chip so if the seller let the CPU hang at 95 for too long then it could also cause damage to the chip.

Find out those 2 details, if they're both fine then get the CPU. Also you can use Cinebench r23 to compare performance with other similar CPUs to see if there is any performance degradation.

Reactions: Hardquery
Oct 26, 2020
@Newtonius bro firstly thak you for your precious time and esteemed advice opinions and helpful. I am highly obliged greatful for your knowledge sharing.
What you need to ask the seller are for these 2 important details:
  1. What voltage was this CPU at daily?
  2. What were the daily average temps while in use?

@Newtonius bro as u advice to ask from seller for voltage and daily average temps used the CPU . Hope they tell truth that they operated in 1.35volts and. Hide for overvoltage of 1.4v or 1.45v.

If we want to verify the words of the seller there any way any tool to capture the report of voltages the process or runned or throttled or overhearing error processor caused through hwinfo logs....or windows event logs ids...or vluescreen error logs....or bios event logs....can we get the past history of CPU proceasor overclocking overheating in within windows 10 or any 3rd party softwares tools

Secondly if somehow after purchase If later any problem In CPU slowness or sticking or overheating then as 2 years warranty is left and bill receipts provided can I claim the warranty on CPU from AMD. What clauses does. AMD does not provide or rejects warranty.

Thirdly before purchasing how can I check if ryzen CPU processor if pin broken damaged or burnt or fried.....as can we check in photo or we should ask for the video

Fourthly as some forums i readed that some CPU processor have manufacturing faults and they cant reach boost spped or if have problems cant be ovverclocked. Giw can we tst the issue....except 3dmark there are tools like blender handbrake or any stress tests tools I should ask the seller to give me report for.

If we want to verify the words of the seller there any way any tool to capture the report of voltages the process or runned or throttled or overhearing error processor caused through hwinfo logs....or windows event logs ids...or vluescreen error logs....or bios event logs....can we get the past history of CPU proceasor overclocking overheating in within windows 10 or any 3rd party softwares tools

Secondly if somehow after purchase If later any problem In CPU slowness or sticking or overheating then as 2 years warranty is left and bill receipts provided can I claim the warranty on CPU from AMD. What clauses does. AMD does not provide or rejects warranty.

Thirdly before purchasing how can I check if ryzen CPU processor if pin broken damaged or burnt or fried.....as can we check in photo or we should ask for the video

Fourthly as some forums i readed that some CPU processor have manufacturing faults and they cant reach boost spped or if have problems cant be ovverclocked. Giw can we tst the issue....except 3dmark there are tools like blender handbrake or any stress tests tools I should ask the seller to give me report for.
Not much to worry about Zen3 (5000 series) Ryzen, they haven't been around long enough to even start to deteriorate because of mistreatment. It takes years for that to happen unless really, really abused. Earlier Ryzen were quite comfortable even with 1.5v as long as they were properly cooled as that usually happened only at idle and would drop voltage under load.

Fourthly as some forums i readed that some CPU processor have manufacturing faults and they cant reach boost spped or if have problems cant be ovverclocked. Giw can we tst the ssue....except 3dmark there are tools like blender handbrake or any stress tests tools I should ask the seller to give me report for.

While most of what you are asking is possible to get, it's a lot of work from the seller and I don't know if he will oblige to giving you all that information. But anyway.....

1. Ryzen Master (To see the voltages/temps/core clock speeds at multi-core & single core use-case scenarios). This is a detailed utility that you can use to view information about the CPU, it's developed by AMD so the seller might already have it installed. You won't be able to get any useful info, past or present, from event logs or BIOS logs (if any motherboard these days has that feature), you'll just have to test overclocking yourself to see if there are any issues. Also you mentioned HWinfo, that's also another good tool that shows everything ryzen master can show.

2. If there are issues and there is warranty on the CPU, you just need to contact AMD and they should handle everything as long as you have all the proper paper-work.

3. You should have the seller send you a picture of the pins to see for yourself if any are broken or burnt. Rarely will they be burnt unless you set them on-fire yourself, a broken pin is most likely a possible issue. Just examine any pictures sent to you and confirm for yourself.

4. As I wrote before, Cinebench is a good benchmark, you can test both multi-core and single core to see what your CPU clock boosts to naturally. Though this also depends on the motherboard in some cases as the Ryzen CPUs are pretty power dependent. Bad or mediocre power delivery can cause slight loss of performance. This can always be compensated by tweaking the motherboard settings though. This however is technical and requires further research before hand if necessary.

Solution
Oct 26, 2020
@Newtonius Bro thankful to you for your precious esteemed advice opinion and grateful and obliged for sharing your knowledge.

1. Ryzen Master (To see the voltages/temps/core clock speeds at multi-core & single core use-case scenarios). This is a detailed utility that you can use to view information about the CPU, it's developed by AMD so the seller might already have it installed. You won't be able to get any useful info,

@Newtonious bro i am novicee to overclocking but know how to do overclcoking through bios or tools yes as Ryzen Master and older software AMD overdrive is used for overclocking the Ryzen CPU and monitoring the temperatures of CPU does it record or logs or auto save past history of overclocking in any file?

As we can test the CPU ryzen processors by overclcoking increaaing voltage through ryzen master or stress testing
on bench to judge its current status and performance as I think after overclcoking or voltage at 1.35 or 1.45 does not increase temp oveheat within minute it gives effects within hours if VRM of. Board is good..but as you said "it's a lot of work from the seller and I don't know if he will oblige to giving you all that information." It will a huge ask for the seller to overclocked it for hours and give temps or stress test (on the condition if never overclocked and is used PC for browsing or caausal office work or small gaming) ..yes some sellers them self in Advt propose that they are ready to give any teat reports or stress tests let's see. So I thought if to if we can get past history logs if he had ever used which will take 2-5 min only and after greeting the product at our end we can stress test and overclock to check performance and if not well then we can claim a warranty from AMD

As the person who ever will overclock the CPU GPU or RAM by in increasing voltage current through BIOS or through softwares ( ryzen master or MSI afterburner) then its obvious that everyone must concerned about the overheating of CPU RAm GPU and he must be monitoring temprature through hwinfo or the monitoring tools like (speedfan realtemp core temp speecxy).

What I want to know that current overclocked temp is 1.35v or 1.45v or 1v can seen in hwinfo or amd ryzen master utility. (And it's possible that to shown seller decreases the current voltages)... But did in past 3-4 months seller usage did the softwares logs past history automatically or if the user himself logged or recorded the temp then can we catch those logs or ask those logs where it is saved in which file.

Also you mentioned HWinfo, that's also another good tool that shows everything ryzen master can show.

As I founded in google some info about hwinfo

Log file location?
When I first logged some data a week or two ago it seemed to store the log on my desktop. I deleted that file, but now when trying to log, it's not showing up there. Where should I be looking for the log? Thanks!
www.hwinfo.com www.hwinfo.com

There are two different log files that can be generated.

One is the HWiNFO Report File, which can be created from the main HWiNFO screen with hardware inventory and the "Log all values for Report" setting determines if sensor values will be included in the report too. This is not available in Sensor-only mode, as in this mode the main hardware inventory and respective windows are not available.

Third party hwinfo logger

https://www.hwinfo.com/files/GenericLogViewer/GenericLogViewer_v3.2.zip

https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-LogViewer-for-HWINFO-is-available

The other one is the sensor logfile, which contains only sensor data. This can be created from the main sensors window (button at bottom of the window) or using a keyboard shortcut.

You won't be able to get any useful info, past or present, from event logs or BIOS logs (if any motherboard these days has that feature), you'll just have to test overclocking yourself to see if there are any issues

If some how by overcooking the PC if overheated or given any error then the error is displayed either in the bios or have throttled the PC or improper unexpected shutdown or blue screen BsoD errors..and windows errors is recorded in windows events. ....

And bios errors in bios events

The google searched images snapshot of bios events are here for example for you

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19477-01/820-5830-13/figures/app_bios-16.jpg

Import BIOS events into Windows event log?
Can someone quickly tell me if this is feasible?
forums.anandtech.com forums.anandtech.com

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19121-01/sf.x4200/819-3284-17/819-3284-17PostCodes.html

Event ID 6008 entries indicate that there was an unexpected shutdown. Critical thermal event indicates that the problem is related to one of your hardware components not functioning properly that is triggering the computer to shut down. Check if your CPU is overheating.

As to brief the over clocking or oveheating or cpu fan errors or high temp errors gives errors in bios POST and can be founded in bios events which should be saved in CMOS but don't know if all motherboards have bios events options and does log can be viewed saved captured from windows or bios itself.

At last i have given some findings to get advice opinion on it if I am wrong somewhere do correct me ..thank a lot for your precious and esteemed peace if advice comments and opinions

@Newtonius Bro thankful to you for your precious esteemed advice opinion and grateful and obliged for sharing your knowledge.

@Newtonious bro i am novicee to overclocking but know how to do overclcoking through bios or tools yes as Ryzen Master and older software AMD overdrive is used for overclocking the Ryzen CPU and monitoring the temperatures of CPU does it record or logs or auto save past history of overclocking in any file?

As we can test the CPU ryzen processors by overclcoking increaaing voltage through ryzen master or stress testing
on bench to judge its current status and performance as I think after overclcoking or voltage at 1.35 or 1.45 does not increase temp oveheat within minute it gives effects within hours if VRM of. Board is good..but as you said "it's a lot of work from the seller and I don't know if he will oblige to giving you all that information." It will a huge ask for the seller to overclocked it for hours and give temps or stress test (on the condition if never overclocked and is used PC for browsing or caausal office work or small gaming) ..yes some sellers them self in Advt propose that they are ready to give any teat reports or stress tests let's see. So I thought if to if we can get past history logs if he had ever used which will take 2-5 min only and after greeting the product at our end we can stress test and overclock to check performance and if not well then we can claim a warranty from AMD

As the person who ever will overclock the CPU GPU or RAM by in increasing voltage current through BIOS or through softwares ( ryzen master or MSI afterburner) then its obvious that everyone must concerned about the overheating of CPU RAm GPU and he must be monitoring temprature through hwinfo or the monitoring tools like (speedfan realtemp core temp speecxy).

What I want to know that current overclocked temp is 1.35v or 1.45v or 1v can seen in hwinfo or amd ryzen master utility. (And it's possible that to shown seller decreases the current voltages)... But did in past 3-4 months seller usage did the softwares logs past history automatically or if the user himself logged or recorded the temp then can we catch those logs or ask those logs where it is saved in which file.

As I founded in google some info about hwinfo

Log file location?
When I first logged some data a week or two ago it seemed to store the log on my desktop. I deleted that file, but now when trying to log, it's not showing up there. Where should I be looking for the log? Thanks!
www.hwinfo.com www.hwinfo.com

There are two different log files that can be generated.

One is the HWiNFO Report File, which can be created from the main HWiNFO screen with hardware inventory and the "Log all values for Report" setting determines if sensor values will be included in the report too. This is not available in Sensor-only mode, as in this mode the main hardware inventory and respective windows are not available.

Third party hwinfo logger

https://www.hwinfo.com/files/GenericLogViewer/GenericLogViewer_v3.2.zip

https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-LogViewer-for-HWINFO-is-available

The other one is the sensor logfile, which contains only sensor data. This can be created from the main sensors window (button at bottom of the window) or using a keyboard shortcut.

If some how by overcooking the PC if overheated or given any error then the error is displayed either in the bios or have throttled the PC or improper unexpected shutdown or blue screen BsoD errors..and windows errors is recorded in windows events. ....

And bios errors in bios events

The google searched images snapshot of bios events are here for example for you

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19477-01/820-5830-13/figures/app_bios-16.jpg

Import BIOS events into Windows event log?
Can someone quickly tell me if this is feasible?
forums.anandtech.com forums.anandtech.com

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19121-01/sf.x4200/819-3284-17/819-3284-17PostCodes.html

Event ID 6008 entries indicate that there was an unexpected shutdown. Critical thermal event indicates that the problem is related to one of your hardware components not functioning properly that is triggering the computer to shut down. Check if your CPU is overheating.

As to brief the over clocking or oveheating or cpu fan errors or high temp errors gives errors in bios POST and can be founded in bios events which should be saved in CMOS but don't know if all motherboards have bios events options and does log can be viewed saved captured from windows or bios itself.

At last i have given some findings to get advice opinion on it if I am wrong somewhere do correct me ..thank a lot for your precious and esteemed peace if advice comments and opinions

The answer to all this is simple:

Ask the seller to run a 20 minute Cinebench stress test at stock settings or whatever overclock setting you want, You can also have HWinfo record all sensor data during the test, this way you can see the temps throughout that 20 minutes as well as stability. I understand you're concerned about buying a used CPU but all this that you're asking for is truly overkill, especially from someone just selling a CPU online. As long as the seller can prove that the CPU can obtain average scores on public stress test software then the CPU is good. If there are any defects with the CPU then you will find it in the stress test. You also said it has warranty, so if he sells you a bad CPU that he won't accept returns, just use the warranty to return and replace the CPU with AMD. Problem solved.