What are good idle temps for my cpu and gpu?

jaylim0512

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
My idle temps for my cpu is at 38-40C

and for my gpu its around 48-50C

Are these good idle temps or do they seem a little too high?

acer0169

Distinguished
How are we meant to answer if you don't even say what parts you're using lol.

Anyway.. as henydiah said, idle doesn't really matter.. it's stress temps that matter.

I had a CPU that idled at 45C (quite high) but stressed only ever got to 52C so it didn't matter. If you had idle of 15C that would be great, but if then stress was 70C we've got problems ;).

Let us know what components you've got and we can give a better answer.

If you have a 15C idle temp in an air cooled system either:
It is winter time and your system is in an unheated room or
You have a malfunctioning thermal sensor. :)

Idle temps in an air cooled system (or most liquid cooled systems) will never be lower than ambient air temperature.

And 70C is at the upper range of acceptable for load temps in a Core2 system.

Like acer said, your components will make a big difference. This means everything:
motherboard, CPU, GPU, case, fans, construction choices including cable routing, room temperature.

fish_86

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
I recently had a athlon X4 640 idling at 13C. probably got into the 20's when running stress. Then I just threw a phenom X4 955 in and it idles at 30-34C idle and then maxes around 51C during stress. I thought it was quite the difference. Are you guys saying that my athlon wouldn't be reading right then? Or do they run that much cooler?

edgaraslt

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011

I'm sorry,but what cooler do you use for your 955 phenom to keep it so cool?

And as it said before. It's impossible for any proccesor unit to operate at temperatures bellow room temps.

acer0169

Distinguished

It's not impossible - the FreeZone Elite can hit sub-ambient temps, but it's a thermal exchange conductor or whatever it's called and also costs £200 - so yeah.. not really valid.

I believe they were looking at core temps and not CPU temps, as some mornings I have woken to cores running at 15C or so (winter).

zakattack117

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Like they says, Idle temps aren't as important as load temps (mainly because you are using your PC for the time) but I can see your like me and freak out even if it rises 1C. Mine idles around 30 ~ 34 C with a heatsink and separate Thermal compound. On stress it doesn't go any higher than 47C.

Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 955

chankey007

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
tutswiki.com

I think that might be the issue with me :( Here the ambient temperature is 38-42C and my PC goes upto 60C while playing BF3.

Fluck

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
My 4790k with stock cooler idle's and doing general tasks (like right now im on fb, Have skype open and downloading a torrent in uTorrent, while on youtube listening to music) at 27-30 Degrees Celsius and its been on for nearly 10 hours without going above 35 degrees. And my Gpu is sitting at 25 Degrees Celcious (saphire radeon r9 280x) Both are not over clocked, And i have two standard sizes intake fans, 1 standard size exhaust fan and one large side intake fan. I just built this PC , and am new to this, are these good temperatures? When i stress tips it goes upto around 70-75 degrees celcius.

Gearhead4432

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
My PC amd fx-8320 with h100i cooler upon boot up my bios says all cores are at between 15-17Cm(winter) and my room is around 65F. (American. Don't know C conversion off the top if my head) is that bad? It's a brand new build and runs great so mobo isn't broken. If it's bad email me please I have never used toms hardware forum gearhead443322@gmail.com

Thank you

Cauthon1041

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
One thing that should be mentioned with others talking about sub-ambient temperatures being possible. It should be noted that sub-ambient is actually a bad thing for your computer because water droplets will form on your components. We all know what water does to powered electrical devices.

Just an FYI since the topic was broached.

Super_Potato

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
oh yeah i compleatley forgot about that my computer seems fine and their is no water their, really hot here where i live it was about was 37 yesterday and now it was 39 today way to hot for me and my computer since i dont have good airconditining :bounce:

I only use a Cooler Master Hyper T2 cooler on my Ryzen 5 2600 and Im currently idle at 28c .. under game load 55c max is the highest Ive seen.

On my 1060 3gb I idle around 35c and under full game load about 72c max.

Do you have good airflow in your pc? What kind of cooler are you using for the CPU? Also what kind of thermal paste are you using?

All these play a factor in temps.

However as most have already previously stated, although a lower idle temp is always more sought after, it dont matter too much. Load temps are what matter.

Unless your idleing at like 70c, then you may have an issue with idle temps. I cant really help much further unless I know your specs.