Question What are the main differences in these ROG STRIX Z790-E/F/H GAMING WIFI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2023
They have the same chipset for the intel CPU I want to acquire, and in overall they are very similar buy I want to know which one is the "best", I don't mind the price lol. For some reason, the z790-h is the "best" in Userbenchmark, but I don't really believe in that page.
By the way, I would like to know these suffix that Asus are putting in their motherboards, thanks!

Solution
ROG STRIX Z790-E/F/H
It's a loose terminology, whereby the alphabet defines the board in a product stack.
E = Extreme
F = Formula
H = Hero
G = Gene
^ that order is in descending, E>F>H>G whereby the E would have more feature sets when compared to the H though with the way things are going with Asus, perhaps avoid the brand altogether. I've worked with Asus since 2010 but it's hard to see them be where they are now, with lackluster innovation and seemingly the same subpar quality in boards while charging a premium over their competitors.

Lutfij

Titan
ROG STRIX Z790-E/F/H
It's a loose terminology, whereby the alphabet defines the board in a product stack.
E = Extreme
F = Formula
H = Hero
G = Gene
^ that order is in descending, E>F>H>G whereby the E would have more feature sets when compared to the H though with the way things are going with Asus, perhaps avoid the brand altogether. I've worked with Asus since 2010 but it's hard to see them be where they are now, with lackluster innovation and seemingly the same subpar quality in boards while charging a premium over their competitors.

Solution
Jun 11, 2023
ROG STRIX Z790-E/F/H
E = Extreme
F = Formula
H = Hero
G = Gene
^ that order is in descending, E>F>H>G
Thanks for the answer! Now I know a little bit more about which one to choose
I just noticed the edited quote, I'm gonna think more about it, probably ill choose other motherboard brand:0

bill_phillips

Honorable
Aug 22, 2016
ROG STRIX Z790-E/F/H
E = Extreme
F = Formula
H = Hero
G = Gene
Thanks, I wasn't aware that ASUS was subpar. Can you elaborate? To me the ROG STRIX Z790-F looks like a good choice if you don't want to spend over $400 for a mb with 4 ea expansion slots and M2 drives. What am I missing? Which other mb would you recommend?

Thanks, I wasn't aware that ASUS was subpar. Can you elaborate? To me the ROG STRIX Z790-F looks like a good choice if you don't want to spend over $400 for a mb with 4 ea expansion slots and M2 drives. What am I missing? Which other mb would you recommend?
You have been around long enough to know that posting on old threads marked solved tends to not get any response.
Mostly it is asus has gotten burned by some very public poor quality issues and even more idiotic public statements. The latest big one was the burned amd based boards and their driver updates to fix this basically saying using it voids your warranty. They also have had a couple big issues in the last few months with the firmware on their routers.
If asus can not mess up for a year or so it will likely blow over, but people are upset that you pay extra for a premium product and they are making huge blunders.

Reactions: bill_phillips

bill_phillips

Honorable
Aug 22, 2016
You have been around long enough to know that posting on old threads marked solved tends to not get any response.
Mostly it is asus has gotten burned by some very public poor quality issues and even more idiotic public statements. The latest big one was the burned amd based boards and their driver updates to fix this basically saying using it voids your warranty. They also have had a couple big issues in the last few months with the firmware on their routers.
If asus can not mess up for a year or so it will likely blow over, but people are upset that you pay extra for a premium product and they are making huge blunders.
Thanks for responding. Sorry, I didn't notice that it had been solved. Also thanks for the explanation. Now I understand how ASUS has damaged their reputation and lost credibility.

The dilemma for me is that I haven't been able to find a comparable competing product from another manufacturer for the Z790-F.

I guess it depends on which cpu you plan to use and how much overclocking you attempt. If you are going to use a 13900k and very fast memory you need a board that can provide all that power. This is where it gets very tricky because it is very hard to compare things like VRMs between boards and why people who overclock like to use asus. You see a lot of the liquid nitrogen testing done on asus boards.

Partially the other motherboards are disliked by people for very similar historic problems asus had. They might not for example be as easy to rma a motherboard.

After that it is going to be purely looking through the feature list and determining which exact feature you really going to use. Things like being able to flash the bios without a cpu is a nice feature. It is the overclocking that is much harder you are going to have to read the manuals to see the bios option they offer.

If you stay with one of the 2 or 3 other major motherboard brands you should be ok. Most the reasons people do not like some of these is because they too have made large historic blunders that people haven't forgotten.

bill_phillips

Honorable
Aug 22, 2016
I guess it depends on which cpu you plan to use and how much overclocking you attempt. If you are going to use a 13900k and very fast memory you need a board that can provide all that power. This is where it gets very tricky because it is very hard to compare things like VRMs between boards and why people who overclock like to use asus. You see a lot of the liquid nitrogen testing done on asus boards.

Partially the other motherboards are disliked by people for very similar historic problems asus had. They might not for example be as easy to rma a motherboard.

After that it is going to be purely looking through the feature list and determining which exact feature you really going to use. Things like being able to flash the bios without a cpu is a nice feature. It is the overclocking that is much harder you are going to have to read the manuals to see the bios option they offer.

If you stay with one of the 2 or 3 other major motherboard brands you should be ok. Most the reasons people do not like some of these is because they too have made large historic blunders that people haven't forgotten.
Thanks again. That really does help me in my evaluation. I'm starting with the i9-12900K or KF, but I may choose to upgrade to the 13900K/KF later. I tinkered with overclocking on my X99 Deluxe II gave up because I kept making mistakes. The Z790-F appears to make overclocking easier, so I'll probably try it again.

Thanks for pointing out evaluation of VRM. I noticed differences in stated VRM capabilities but I'd assumed they were all basically equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS