[SOLVED] What are the steps to upgrading from OC'ed i5 4690k to i7 4790k?

Naveen117

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2016
My current CPU is running at 4.5Ghz @ 1.26V. I bought a used i7 4790k for ~$200 CAD. When I swap CPUs do I need to reset CMOS before reboot? Will it require be to reset the boot drive? I'm currently running a Z97 Gigabyte Gaming 5

Solution
Yup that's my mobo.
So you mean reset CMOS then reboot with the i5, then turn off and swap CPUs, then boot again?
I've got some Arctic Silver 5 that I used previously.
No return policy. Bought it off of Kijiji.

Btw by "resetting the boot drive" I meant to say will I have to adjust the boot order in the BIOS?

Thanks for your help!

Good morning @Naveen117

Correct about the Cmos. Reset it to default and reboot. Depending on how many drives you have installed, at default, your PC should auto detect the drive with the OS on it and boot from there. You don't need to manually set it in your cmos. (However, you can if you want to.) Make sure your PC boots to the desktop. Then shut down your PC the usual way, unplug your PSU...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
This is your mobo correct?

No to resetting the boot drive. Yes to resetting the Cmos BEFORE you install the i7 otherwise the OC settings may not work correctly on the new CPU, causing it to either not run correctly or not at all. What Bios version does your mobo currently have? You'll want at least Ver. F3. If you have to update your Bios, make sure you do it in sequence if necessary. Don't just download the newest one and go from there. I took a quick look on Gigabytes site and it shows that both CPU's require Bios Ver. F3 so you most likely can just "plug & play."

Of course you already know, but take your time. Make sure you use fresh, high quality thermal paste and you clean everything very well. Do you know the person you bought the CPU from or just a random seller? Any return policy on it? I'd also suggest you give the CPU a good chance to show you want it can do before jumping in and OC'ing it. Also a great way to find out if it's running correctly to begin with.

Enjoy @ let us all know how everything goes after!

Last edited:
Reactions: Countess_C

Naveen117

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2016
This is your mobo correct?

No to resetting the boot drive. Yes to resetting the Cmos BEFORE you install the i7 otherwise the OC settings may not work correctly on the new CPU, causing it to either not run correctly or not at all. What Bios version does your mobo currently have? You'll want at least Ver. F3. If you have to update your Bios, make sure you do it in sequence if necessary. Don't just download the newest one and go from there. I took a quick look on Gigabytes site and it shows that both CPU's require Bios Ver. F3 so you most likely can just "plug & play."

Of course you already know, but take your time. Make sure you use fresh, high quality thermal paste and you clean everything very well. Do you know the person you bought the CPU from or just a random seller? Any return policy on it? I'd also suggest you give the CPU a good chance to show you want it can do before jumping in and OC'ing it. Also a great way to find out if it's running correctly to begin with.

Enjoy @ let us all know how everything goes after!
Yup that's my mobo.
So you mean reset CMOS then reboot with the i5, then turn off and swap CPUs, then boot again?

Btw by "resetting the boot drive" I meant to say will I have to adjust the boot order in the BIOS?

Thanks for your help!

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Yup that's my mobo.

Thanks for your help!

Good morning @Naveen117

Correct about the Cmos. Reset it to default and reboot. Depending on how many drives you have installed, at default, your PC should auto detect the drive with the OS on it and boot from there. You don't need to manually set it in your cmos. (However, you can if you want to.) Make sure your PC boots to the desktop. Then shut down your PC the usual way, unplug your PSU main power cable from the back of the PC or from the wall and then press the PC power button once. Make sure you ground yourself and then proceed with removing the old CPU and installing the i7.

Artic Silver 5 is good. How old is it? If it's old and been open awhile, you may want to get a tissue and apply a little into the tissue so as to access the "fresh" thermal paste. Discard the tissue. Remember, "a dab will do ya" You don't need a lot of thermal paste. A small dot about 1/2 to 3/4 the size of a piece of corn will do it. You DO NOT want it oozing out the sides, nor do you want to use too little. Also don't pre-smear. Instead you want the Heatsink to spread it out as it's pressed down onto the CPU during installation.

Remember that now is a great time to give the Heatsink a good cleaning along with the fan. A q-tip works wonders on the fan blades. Please make sure the bottom of the heatsink is very clean, (remove the dust from between the "tines" also called "fins" as well) as is the top of the CPU. Use Isopropyl "rubbing" alcohol on the bottom of the heatsink and dip the tip of the q-tip in it to gently clean the top of the CPU. Best done once installed into the mobo. Silly I know, but make sure you line the pins up correctly. :p

Solution

Naveen117

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2016
Good morning @Naveen117

Correct about the Cmos. Reset it to default and reboot. Depending on how many drives you have installed, at default, your PC should auto detect the drive with the OS on it and boot from there. You don't need to manually set it in your cmos. (However, you can if you want to.) Make sure your PC boots to the desktop. Then shut down your PC the usual way, unplug your PSU main power cable from the back of the PC or from the wall and then press the PC power button once. Make sure you ground yourself and then proceed with removing the old CPU and installing the i7.

Artic Silver 5 is good. How old is it? If it's old and been open awhile, you may want to get a tissue and apply a little into the tissue so as to access the "fresh" thermal paste. Discard the tissue. Remember, "a dab will do ya" You don't need a lot of thermal paste. A small dot about 1/2 to 3/4 the size of a piece of corn will do it. You DO NOT want it oozing out the sides, nor do you want to use too little. Also don't pre-smear. Instead you want the Heatsink to spread it out as it's pressed down onto the CPU during installation.

Remember that now is a great time to give the Heatsink a good cleaning along with the fan. A q-tip works wonders on the fan blades. Please make sure the bottom of the heatsink is very clean, (remove the dust from between the "tines" also called "fins" as well) as is the top of the CPU. Use Isopropyl "rubbing" alcohol on the bottom of the heatsink and dip the tip of the q-tip in it to gently clean the top of the CPU. Best done once installed into the mobo. Silly I know, but make sure you line the pins up correctly. :p
Thanks for all your help! Don't worry I watched the video from The Verge. I know exactly how much to use :p

TRENDING THREADS