[SOLVED] What best gaming pc for $3,000 to $4,000?

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
I have most often done building my own computer, but am out of touch with more modern computers. My last build was in 2012. I can look at a few high-end CPUs, but the best graphic cards are unavailable or only in prebuilt computers.

So, maybe it would be best to just buy a complete desktop computer. Gaming is my thing. 1440 and 4k. I could build one to find a very good graphics card.

I have $3,000 in my budget but could push it to $4,000

What would you like best?

Last edited:
Solution
Nice build list. monitor won't be hard to find. Here a couple good monitors. U will want to find one with g-sync to get all the fps u can out of that card and monitor. Not sure what size u want to look at but bigger u go the more cost. Samsung Odyssey G7 28" IPS 1ms 4K UHD FreeSync & G-Sync Compatible Gaming Monitor with HDR Black LS28AG700NNXZA - Best Buy $700 ASUS ROG Strix 43” 4K 144Hz HDMI 2.1 1ms FreeSync Gaming Monitor with HDR (DisplayPort,USB) XG43UQ - Best Buy $1300 4k 144hz. I have this model right now testing it out and really like it. Can be wall mounted. If u wanted to go down on specs but still have a pretty nice montior There is an lg qhd 165hz with gsync for $450. LG 32” UltraGear QHD Nano...
there is no "best" computer out there to buy.
it's not like the 80s when Tandy, Apple, etc had only a few models available.

there are thousands of prebuilt systems out on the market with every configuration you could imagine from the last 3-4 generations of CPUs and GPUs.
Gaming is my thing. 1440 and 4k.
that doesn't narrow it down much.
what games are you interested in, what frame rates are you expecting, what in-game settings are you expecting?

if you just want to be able to run any of the latest titles for the next couple years at highest settings you would still need to narrow down at least what frame rates you would be expecting.
from 60fps to 165fps in demanding games at higher resolutions would be a huge difference in processing power and graphics card capabilities.

for a higher end card at the moment your best bet would be to sign up for the Newegg Shuffle at Newegg.com and check every morning it's running to see what's available.
i've landed two higher quality graphics cards over the last year for MSRP.

if looking for a pre-built system make sure you find one that lists ALL included components in detail and that offers good warranty coverage for an extended period of time.

in price vs performance the 12th gen Intel chips out there are blowing away the current highest end AMD processors available in regards to gaming.
so unless you can find one at a budget price, i would avoid AMD CPUs until their next line becomes available.

ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Here is another 2 options for pre-built with great specs. $3250 i9-12900k with 3080 ti. Lots of upgrades . https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/xps-desktop/spd/xps-8950-desktop
If u wanted to go balls to the wall here is a i9-12900k with cryo liquid cooling and a 3090 rtx. $4100 https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/des...ming-desktop/spd/alienware-aurora-r13-desktop lots of good options out there. Right now is the worst time to build a pc trying to find the parts and I would not recommend newegg as a place to buy. Watch gamers nexus talk about how they do business these days. Lots of customer out there money. It has happen to me also.

I would not recommend newegg as a place to buy.
Newegg is still perfectly fine to purchase from as long as you do not buy from their shady 3rd party sellers.
Just like many other online retailers these days like Amazon, Walmart, etc they have allowed 3rd parties to offer products through their site.
A large portion of them are scalpers and untrustworthy Asian/Middle-Eastern/Eastern European/etc companies that do not provide accurate details of their products or outright lie about what they have available, shipping times, warranties, and every aspect of their sales.
Choosing only "Newegg" from their seller options is the guaranteed safe way to shop their site.

@Marplot , as i stated earlier do not purchase anything that does not specifically list in detail the make & model of every included component.
these Dell systems mentioned come with very cheap low quality generic power supplies, drives, memory, cooling, and everything else possible.
even the GPU manufacturer will not be included. all they list is Nvidia or AMD series, not the actual model #.
there is a reason they do not provide details except for the CPU as to the products that they include because they use the cheapest possible components to boost their profit off of unknowing consumers that just trust a popular name.

NZXT does offer some good choices though with detailed specs.
which you should go for depends on your aspirations for this system though;
whether you're going for highest quality with 1440p @ 165+Hz, 2160p @ 120Hz, 1440p @ 60Hz, etc makes a big difference.

Last edited:

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
I am learning here. Great advice. But still confused. I want to play about any game and have room for future games. Just looking for a computer that will do this?

I could build, but confusion about what graphics card can best work with what cpu? Looks like anything computer is shown in the $2600, and up could work.

There are mystifying possibilities, combinations of CPUs, and graphic cards. Then there are various combinations of memory.

Frame rates are all over the place. I see them from ugly low at 30 and up to 350 depending on the game.

I am not as much in learning and finding the right combinations. Is there a site where I can build a box that will run the highest games?

Are the I9 combinations with H or K, or I7?
A card with 3080, 3090 or?
DDR 4 or DDR5?
16, or 32 or 64MB?
which Mobo best fits a certain processor?

I am a businessman, for instance I hire a CPA. I don't need to understand the exact wording about tax law. Same here.

Reactions: Why_Me
if searching to build for yourself;
any motherboard will state which chipset/processor family it supports.
you would first want to pick a processor and then base the motherboard on that.
then pair memory that is compatible with said motherboard.

you can use this tool to add in available products and it will help with guiding you along the way:
Newegg Custom PC Builder.
using some of those products linked below you should able to complete a very nice build without much hassle.
and any specific products that are out of stock there should be obtainable through other retailers.

the highest performing CPUs for gaming available at the moment are 12th generation Intel.
i5-12600K, i7-12700K, i9-12900K.
the i9 is way more than any gaming system will need.
the i5 is the best price for performance option.
but if you are looking to spend a bit just for the satisfaction and for future performance the i7-12700K is a great choice.

the best motherboards for that CPU's LGA1700 chipset are the Z690 series.
these will offer the most options for add-on devices and overclocking and usually have the best VRM cooling.
but many will only want a B660 or H670 for a cheaper gaming system.

of course DDR5 memory would be the best option performance-wise but they are ridiculously expensive at this time.
for the increase they may offer i don't believe it is worth it.
a good 2x 16GB(32GB) DDR4 3200 or 3600MHz kit with a low CAS Latency is perfect for modern gaming at this time.

power supplies are something you need to be careful choosing.
you will see many +rated models that are not up to the standards they claim.
the wattage you will require will depend mostly on the graphics card that you end up using.
for choosing a good reliable model Tom's still has a pretty nice guide to PSU tiers and which to avoid:

for a GPU and playing games at higher resolutions with higher settings in place you will need a higher-tiered model.
the Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti or 3090
or the AMD RX 6800 XT or 6900 XT.
they are actually coming back into stock more frequently these days.
but better jump on any you see before they're gone again.

for CPU cooling you would need to decide if you'd rather go with air cooling or liquid cooling.
for air cooling i would recommend the
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
or the Noctua NH-D15 chromax.
if liquid cooling you would need to decide if going for an AIO(All In One) unit or a custom loop.

for a case, there are so many options available these days it can become hard to find one that you really like and then not be disappointed just after by finding another that's much better.
the best i've dealt with in a couple years now is the be quiet! Silent Base 802.
it offers a very easy to build in structure, very high quality construction, excellent airflow with dust filters in place, nice modular aspects with the option to be extra quiet using included optional solid panels and built-in sound dampening materials.

links i've included are all very good choices but mostly are just examples to base your own choices on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I am learning here. Great advice. But still confused. I want to play about any game and have room for future games. Just looking for a computer that will do this?

I could build, but confusion about what graphics card can best work with what cpu? Looks like anything computer is shown in the $2600, and up could work.

There are mystifying possibilities, combinations of CPUs, and graphic cards. Then there are various combinations of memory.

Frame rates are all over the place. I see them from ugly low at 30 and up to 350 depending on the game.

I am not as much in learning and finding the right combinations. Is there a site where I can build a box that will run the highest games?

Are the I9 combinations with H or K, or I7?
A card with 3080, 3090 or?
DDR 4 or DDR5?
16, or 32 or 64MB?
which Mobo best fits a certain processor?

I am a businessman, for instance I hire a CPA. I don't need to understand the exact wording about tax law. Same here.
Don't buy a pile of crap OVERHEATING DELL GAMING PC!

Join the newegg shuffle each day till you can get a RTX 3080 or 3080ti video card it will cost from 14 to 1600 bucks.

https://www.newegg.com/product-shuffle Several on it today.

And build something like this puts you in about 3K.
Mounting kit for the cooler could be needed.
https://support.nzxt.com/hc/en-us/articles/4407896253339-How-to-get-the-LGA-1700-Bracket

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor | $374.98 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler | NZXT Kraken X73 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | $169.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard | $284.95 @ Amazon
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | $153.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $69.98 @ Amazon
Storage | Crucial MX500 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $199.99 @ Adorama
Case | Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB ATX Mid Tower Case | $139.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $94.99 @ Newegg
Operating System | Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit | $108.78 @ Other World Computing
Case Fan | Phanteks FSK 84.5 CFM 140 mm Fan | $19.98 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1636.63
| Mail-in rebates | -$20.00
| Total | $1616.63
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-02-03 12:40 EST-0500 |

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Save and wait for the new 42 inch lg oled. Best screen u can get for gaming. If u want to build it on your own get in the member elite with evga and get in the queue. No reason to pay double for a 3080. U can get a 3090 for $1800. Evga makes great psu also. I do not buy from 3rd party and it was newegg that jacked me. Same with gamers nexus
Makes me laugh how people talk so much hate on dell. One of the biggest companies in the world. Also the gpus that dell gets is made for them.

Makes me laugh how people talk so much hate on dell. One of the biggest companies in the world.
they are one of the biggest computer distributors because they provide cheap very basic office & educational level PCs for wide distribution.
not because they offer state of the art high-end systems.
they use cheap crap in the majority of their systems compared to what a high-end manufacturer provides.
if you think of them as a go-to computer company that just proves you haven't much experience with them compared to other higher-end options.
even their highest tiered Alienware computers are junk compared to what a knowledgeable user can build on their own for the same price. they do offer some nice Alienware peripherals but even those are usually way over priced just for the name sake.
get in the member elite with evga and get in the queue.
their wait list is over 6 months for their lowest end cards and up to a year for the higher end.
and considering that more and more are signing up everyday makes the wait even longer for new members.
there is no reason anyone should wait that long just to save $100-200.
if your that broke that the wait is worth saving that amount you probably shouldn't be purchasing a $1000+ graphics card anyway.
Evga makes great psu also.
and they also produce very low end even dangerous power supplies so telling someone they are great without stating particular models is not a good idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: jacob249358

ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
I have been building pc's high end for over 20 years. Evga is one of the best companies to do business with. I got a 3080, 3080 ti , 3090 from the new system.
U get what u pay for so if u buy a $100 psu u get crap. I have been using the t2 and p2 line over 10 years not one problem. But seasonic has died on me and there warranty service is a pain in the a. At the same time I have been buying for me and customers dell workstations and not one problem. U probably buy one pc every 5 years so your base is crap. I run a business. Corsair has great customer service also. Same people just want to buy a pc and turn it on out of the box. Problem with nzxt build I don't like is there a gen behind. Cases kinda ugly but that's me.

Mod Edit - Don't Make Things Personal

Last edited by a moderator:

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
I appreciate all your input. Still chewing on my computer, build or buy pre-built. Graphic cards are coming down. I like buying better. Ok, let's say that I buy the Intel 9 12900HK. What graphics card will fit?

Sure it is overkill. But I am retired and spending my grandkid's inheritance!

My projection (monitor) will only play 60fps. But I am stuttering with my present nine-year-old "high end" (at its time) computer.

So having swallowed my pride and just bought an Xbox Series X from Walmart at about 50% over MSRP. WTF I am not getting any younger, and I really don't like my grandkids.

Last edited:

ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
OMEN by HP 45L Gaming Desktop GT22-0465xt PC (33T58AA#ABA) This would be a great build. It comes with a i7-12700k but for games that is more than enough. It comes with a rtx 3080 and liquid cooling camber. also comes with name brand parts inside. might be time to also upgrade your monitor. 60 fps used to be a standard like 15 years ago. now people like to 120 or better. If u had to have a i9-12900k with a rtx 3080dell have a nice build sheet on the new white xps with feet for$2749 if u spec it to i9-12900k,rtx 3080,16 gb dual channel, 512gb nvme with 2tb drive, liquid cooling, 750 psu.

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
I appreciate all your input. Still chewing on my computer, build or buy pre-built. Graphic cards are coming down. I like buying better. Ok, let's say that I buy the Intel 9 12900HK. What graphics card will fit?

Sure it is overkill. But I am retired and spending my grandkid's inheritance!
OMEN by HP 45L Gaming Desktop GT22-0465xt PC (33T58AA#ABA) This would be a great build. It comes with a i7-12700k but for games that is more than enough. It comes with a rtx 3080 and liquid cooling camber. also comes with name brand parts inside. might be time to also upgrade your monitor. 60 fps used to be a standard like 15 years ago. now people like to 120 or better. If u had to have a i9-12900k with a rtx 3080dell have a nice build sheet on the new white xps with feet for$2749 if u spec it to i9-12900k,rtx 3080,16 gb dual channel, 512gb nvme with 2tb drive, liquid cooling, 750 psu.

Looking good. Just when I was thinking about building!

60fps is about my home theater can do. Yeah, but 160" is not too bad. Have a good 7.2 surround system. I guess I could work out with earphones and a large monitor.

ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
They make some nice new projectors. Gaming at 160 inch that has to be hard. I have a 42 inch and sometimes my eyes hurt from tracking the screen so much. Lg has a new 42 oled this year. Might be a good switch. But to get back on track here. Lg and some others players have nice 4k hdr hdmi 2.1 projectors out now. Price isn't to bad either.

let's say that I buy the Intel 9 12900HK. What graphics card will fit?
i don't really get what you mean by "fit".
any PCIe x8 or x16 graphics card will work with any modern motherboard.
the CPU has nothing to do with what will work.

but going with that i9 will not get you any better results in games vs the i7.
and since you seem to be going for a rather high-end build you should just stick to one of those cards that i mentioned earlier.

if you are looking into a new display to go with it, you should really look into some ultra-wide models for gaming.
i would never go back to regular 16:9 after using my ultra-wide 21:9 in games.
and i also have a 55" LG CX that is great for gaming when you want to have some company or sit back and relax some away from a desk. those are also great for gaming with 120Hz 2160p OLED and G-Sync. they have some even better models available for this year.
Looking good. Just when I was thinking about building!
that Omen's case has terrible airflow and your system will be quite a few degrees warmer than necessary using it,
only 16GB of memory,
unknown power supply,
a useless 1TB HDD(won't hold much user data, media, backups, etc and is terrible for game installations).

ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
John u need to read about products more before u tell someone what's bad. The hp omen use cooler master psu. 16gb of memory is enough for just gaming. Do u have a degree in thermal engineering? Even after market cases don't have a cooling camber for the liquid cooler. plus it pulls air from both inside and outside of the case to cool it. no matter what pc some one gets there will be upgrades at some point. One thing i don't like about the hp is that there using dd4 not ddr5 but intel left that door open and seems like 50% of the prebuilts have picked to use ddr4.

16gb of memory is enough for just gaming.
well, i've got plenty of games that along with the OS background processes fill up 12+ of my 32GBs.
so 16GB may be enough for some, but not recommended especially when one is looking to build a high-end system to last for sometime into the future.
The hp omen use cooler master psu
Cooler Master is not mentioned in those system specs.
"800 W 80 Plus Gold certified ATX power supply" does not insinuate any specific brand.
and even so, Cooler Master only produces a few models that are sufficient for higher-end gaming systems so that's still not saying much.
Even after market cases don't have a cooling cHamber for the liquid cooler.
there are plenty of cases available out there that have a ceiling radiator/fan tray with extra top intake vents and exhaust ventilation.
having a sealed chamber would not make sense, especially in a low airflow case like this, because you have that much less exhausting out of the top for other component's generated heat.

and regarding any systems' cooling;
the CPU is definitely not the only aspect that requires active cooling.
VRMs, memory, GPU, etc also need adequate intake of flowing cool air and warm air exhaust to keep at decent temperatures.
Do u have a degree in thermal engineering?
not a degree but credits from completing both 'Transport Processes' and 'Thermodynamics & Kinetics'.
One thing i don't like about the hp is that there using dd4 not ddr5 but intel left that door open and seems like 50% of the prebuilts have picked to use ddr4.
i don't think you keep up much with the available market.
it's more like 90% of the available pre-builts, even the newest available, are still using DDR4. along with 90% of those building their own custom systems.
DDR5 is still quite low on sales in general.

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
Well, pulled the trigger and came up with

Xbox Series X - Added SSD

Parts for my older computer.
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB
MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (MS-7C84)
980 Samsung 1TB SSD
Looking for a good video card
All for my home theater.

But I realized that my projector will not pull frame rates more than 60fps
So I also added a

Dell Alienware Aurora R13 Gaming, Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900KF, 3.2 GHZ Processor; Nividia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti,12 GB GDDR6X; 32 GB DDR5-4800 RAM; 1TB SSD

I plan to get a good monitor that will play with me!