[SOLVED] What can a bad airflow kill inside the pc?

Nov 10, 2021
My pc won't boot and might be the motherboard is dead because I have tried to do all the troubleshooting and nothing works and realize that at the back of my case is an intake fan rather than exhaust. I only have 2 fans - cpu and at the back.

Specs:

Mobo:Gigabyte H81m-s1
CPU: i7 4790
Cooler: deepcool mini v2
Psu: seasonic 550w

Do you think the hot air inside killed the motherboard?

Solution
1 stick of ram in #2 slot, cpu cooler, main power connection, secondary eps cpu power connection and the speaker. No monitor, drives, keyboard or mouse, no USB connections, nothing outside of the basics. If still no post, change ram, change slots, reboot in between each change. If still no post, either cpu or motherboard is toast.

If it does post, add 1 component at a time, rebooting in between until it doesn't post. Save drives for last. If it still boots fully assembled on the bench/box, start looking at the case, case wiring, look for scorch marks, nicks, cuts, frays, melting or burnt wires, check the back of the motherboard, the motherboard tray etc.
But I do keep the cpu at a high temp of 85 degrees.
Not a good temperature for prolonged use. Improve case cooling then. Lower overclock.

CC-9011078-WW-750D_AF_003.png

Nov 10, 2021
Do you think that Mobo is dead? I don't think it's the cpu because I once caught it throttling and then shut down and had used it for about 3 weeks and nothing happened but I shut it down for a moment then it stop working.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
H81 mobo, i7-4790 cpu. Only OC you'll get is OC Genie or similar software OC using BCLK which will cause instability in a hurry with that combo.

What exactly does 'tried all the troubleshooting' mean?

The only way to tell if it's a dead motherboard is to unhook Everything except the cpu cooler, 1 stick of ram in 2nd slot and the 2x power connections. Everything else, including monitor and mouse etc must go. Then try and boot by shorting the power pins. You'll know if it posts or not. Then add 1 component, like monitor or speaker, rebooting after each. If you get a failed boot, you found suspect, try booting with out that component.

Nov 10, 2021
H81 mobo, i7-4790 cpu. Only OC you'll get is OC Genie or similar software OC using BCLK which will cause instability in a hurry with that combo.

What exactly does 'tried all the troubleshooting' mean?

The only way to tell if it's a dead motherboard is to unhook Everything except the cpu cooler, 1 stick of ram in 2nd slot and the 2x power connections. Everything else, including monitor and mouse etc must go. Then try and boot by shorting the power pins. You'll know if it posts or not. Then add 1 component, like monitor or speaker, rebooting after each. If you get a failed boot, you found suspect, try booting with out that component.
I have done all of that from cmos battery to ram to psu. I have already change the psu and ram is most likely not faulty because I'm not receiving beep codes even when I tried reseating them. Now I'm down to cpu and Mobo. But wouldn't a dead cpu give beep codes?

Cooling is not likely to be your issue.

Take everything out of the case, and assemble only essential parts on a table.Motherboard, keyboard, cpu, cooler ,ram and cooler fan, psu, monitor connected.
No drives.
You should be able to get to the bios screen.
Double check your connections.

Reactions: Superpanda666
Nov 10, 2021
Cooling is not likely to be your issue.

Take everything out of the case, and assemble only essential parts on a table.Motherboard, keyboard, cpu, cooler ,ram and cooler fan, psu, monitor connected.
No drives.
You should be able to get to the bios screen.
Double check your connections.
You maybe right, I have tried reseating the ram and many other way but I never remove all of the parts from the case(too much work) the board might be touching the case so I would check it out.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
1 stick of ram in #2 slot, cpu cooler, main power connection, secondary eps cpu power connection and the speaker. No monitor, drives, keyboard or mouse, no USB connections, nothing outside of the basics. If still no post, change ram, change slots, reboot in between each change. If still no post, either cpu or motherboard is toast.

If it does post, add 1 component at a time, rebooting in between until it doesn't post. Save drives for last. If it still boots fully assembled on the bench/box, start looking at the case, case wiring, look for scorch marks, nicks, cuts, frays, melting or burnt wires, check the back of the motherboard, the motherboard tray etc.

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I may have missed something somewhere in the details.

When you are attempting to power this machine up does it do anything at all? Lights, fans, etc. or hitting the power button/shorting power pin and nothing is happening at all?

Are you sure the PSU is fine? Do you have another to test with?

Nov 10, 2021
I may have missed something somewhere in the details.

When you are attempting to power this machine up does it do anything at all? Lights, fans, etc. or hitting the power button/shorting power pin and nothing is happening at all?

Are you sure the PSU is fine? Do you have another to test with?
Its turning on and I can turn it off by holding the power button. Everything seems working fine and I have already change the psu with the same model and wattage so the psu is out of the issue.

Nov 10, 2021
This is such a complicated problem that I have, if it was just ram then everything should be working fine after I cleaned and reseating it. If only I had a BSoD then I would get an idea of the problem but there's really no sign and it just died.

I'm just curios that if the cpu is dead would their be beep codes? I think that it could actually be the cpu.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
So basically, if you have done all the steps recommended above just about the only thing you have left is troubleshoot by way of compatible and known to be working components of same generation (that you might be willing to damage) or investing that time and effort into newer parts or another used system that is affordable.