Question What can i do to cool my case(NZXT h200i-Mini ITX) and gpu(Gigabyte RTX 2080ti Windforce)?

recoacar

Prominent
Jul 14, 2019
What is the best cooling solution to do in mini ITX cases? I get good fps and the pc is good during gaming but my gpu temp is going around 80-81-82 celcius during gaming.

Oct 6, 2019
I have the same case, since your GPU is pulling air from the psu shroud i would suggest getting a SFX(-L) psu this way your gpu can pull in fresh air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Oct 6, 2019
Tbh i just got everything and still building atm, i replaced both NZXT fans for two exhausting (top/rear) Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 120 pwm and have a Ryzen 5 3600 with a Wraith Prism cooler (i love the look) i also have a Vega 56 GPU (will be upgraded with a new RTX/Navi if they come out). I looked at a couple of reviews and main thing i saw was that GPU can be out of fresh air if you use it with an ATX psu instad of SFX(-L), also in many reviews i saw that front intake did not change temps because of restricted front side in combinaton with fans.

I am waiting on a 2x4 cpu cable for my psu to be delivered today to complete my build.

I will be posting after i had time to setup everything and i hope temps will be good.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn VOG-L29 met Tapatalk

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Bunch of bs. The stock fans are seriously good fans, easily the equal, if not better than the Silent Wings. Mount them from the inside (same as if mounting an aio), it leaves plenty of space under the front cover for the low pressure area created by fan draw and has no issues putting a decent amount of air into the gpu.

A couple of Noctua A14x25, iPPC 2000 series NF-F12 or similar 140mm high static pressure, direct flow oriented fans woyld be better.

The only issue with the psu shroud is if you go with an oversized gpu and don't leave sufficient airspace below it, some gpus use massive, tall heatsinks/shrouds which is great for axial designs, in an unrestricted area, but sucks for tighter spaces or sli. In most mITX cases, blower style gpus are a bonus.

With a SFX psu, some are short enough where it's possible to mount a supplemental slimline fan (11mm-13mm thick vrs standard 25mm) under the shroud, a shunt fan, which helps pull air from the lowest front intake and shunt it 90° straight up into the gpu.

#1 Golden rule of mITX, You absolutely must think Outside the box, because there's no room Inside the box for conventional thinking.

With mITX, size and dimensions are extremely vital statistics, performance is nice but it's a secondary consideration. It's not like throwing the best performing parts in a full tower and then worry about airflow and fitment, with mITX you plan and build around airflow and fitment first. If that means for a RTX2080 super you go with an Evga blower, not the Asus ROG axial that's got higher performance on paper, then you go with the blower.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Love those ITX builds.
The NZXT 200I looks to me to be a very sound option.
Specs say you have room for two front 140mm intakes.
Larger fans move more air quietly.
That is sufficient to provide fresh air for whatever you install inside.
Noctua makes some very good ones. They come in up to 3000 rpm.
You can always slow down a fan for reduced noise, but you can't speed up a slow fan.
Noctua supplies a couple of low noise adapters.
One of the supplied 120mm fans at the rear will direct airflow.

80c. is a normal target temperature for a graphics card to operate at max potential.
What card do you have?
What is your cpu and cooler?
As to the best cooler, I might suggest the noctua NH-D15s.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm guessing that nzxt has stopped production on some of the H 00i series and replaced them with updated H 10i series cases as there's no longer any website for those. (kinda messed up on nzxt part) so finding stats like cpu clearance is left to reviews (and ppl still don't but rarely include that (why???)). But if the exterior of the case has not changed, nor motherboard tray dimensions, then you should still be able to mount cpu coolers upto 165mm (good idea that extra 5mm) which would fit the NH-D15S without issue. A 240/280mm aio will also work in pull config, as shown on the H210i web page.

Oct 6, 2019
Bunch of bs. The stock fans are seriously good fans, easily the equal, if not better than the Silent Wings. Mount them from the inside (same as if mounting an aio), it leaves plenty of space under the front cover for the low pressure area created by fan draw and has no issues putting a decent amount of air into the gpu.

A couple of Noctua A14x25, iPPC 2000 series NF-F12 or similar 140mm high static pressure, direct flow oriented fans woyld be better.

The only issue with the psu shroud is if you go with an oversized gpu and don't leave sufficient airspace below it, some gpus use massive, tall heatsinks/shrouds which is great for axial designs, in an unrestricted area, but sucks for tighter spaces or sli. In most mITX cases, blower style gpus are a bonus.

With a SFX psu, some are short enough where it's possible to mount a supplemental slimline fan (11mm-13mm thick vrs standard 25mm) under the shroud, a shunt fan, which helps pull air from the lowest front intake and shunt it 90° straight up into the gpu.

#1 Golden rule of mITX, You absolutely must think Outside the box, because there's no room Inside the box for conventional thinking.

With mITX, size and dimensions are extremely vital statistics, performance is nice but it's a secondary consideration. It's not like throwing the best performing parts in a full tower and then worry about airflow and fitment, with mITX you plan and build around airflow and fitment first. If that means for a RTX2080 super you go with an Evga blower, not the Asus ROG axial that's got higher performance on paper, then you go with the blower.
Kinda strange bs since i never said the NZXT fans are bad???, i just went with the Silent Wings since i had them in a previous build and i like the way i don't hear them at all, i did not compare them so i don't know how their sound or performance is yet, they will be used as spare. So dont assume i said something which i did not.

Anyhow i completed my build and i have to say my Vega 56 is almost sticking to the psu shroud (or basement) in the H200, i could imagine a 2080ti choking without air, like i said it is not a bad idea to go with a SFX psu it will leave room for air to pass through from underneath. When playing The Division 2 yesterday my GPU was at around 72c which is ok for a Vega 56 which is hot on its own. If changing psu alone is not enough get a slimline fan as was suggested it will improve airflow to your GPU.

I don't know how Nvidia GPU's are but is a slight undervolt + optimize fan curve of gpu also a possibility to lower temps a bit?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn VOG-L29 met Tapatalk

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I wasn't referring to the choice of fans, but the reviews on case airflow and how the gpu can run out of fresh air. So I apologize if it came off wrong.

Yes, closed front cases can and do impede airflow, but not to the extent many reviewers claim. And most only use just the stock fans while testing/reviewing and don't add additional fans. The problem isn't so much in the case design usually, it's in the approach. It's mITX, you can't build in it and treat it like a miniature version of ATX, it won't work that way. You have to treat it as mITX, which is different. Airflow is a priority, not a secondary consideration. If the case was open front, it'd still be just as important but with just the 2 stock fans, even open front airflow isn't good in many cases.

My main pc is a fractal design R5. It sits inside a cubby in the desk, has 1" of space on each side, 3" behind and 4" of clearance above. Uses 4x 140mm fans total. 2 input, 2exhaust. My i7 at 4.9GHz got 55°C gaming, my gpu @ 124%OC stays in mid 60's. With the door closed. Just needed high static pressure fans as intakes.

Your Silent Wings are great fans, very quiet and do a decent job, but are neither high cfm nor high sp, that was the cost of the silence. They'll work great as exhaust fans, but seriously lack for performance in mITX as intakes.

That case needs high sp 140mm fans up front and mounting from the inside gives enough clearance between the fan and cover to allow for better draw. Mounting from the front/outside takes away 25mm of airspace in front of the fan, effectively choking it.

Same applies to the gpu when using the shroud. The need to leave as much space as possible between the fans and shroud for air. A single slot card would be ideal, but is impractical for gaming, so a dual slot card is needed. But many dual slot cards take up 3 slots with their fancy looking fan shrouds, becoming impractical for mITX use.

With mITX, it's what can I fit inside to get some performance. With ATX it's what performance can I get with what I fit inside. 2 totally different approaches to the build.

Tom's has a member gallery, Tom's Members Gallery , and I'd love to see some pics of the build with comments on any build issues you may have run into. MITX isn't easy, it's tiny, so when it works out, it's great.