[SOLVED] What can I replace this modem/router with?

MattMMMan17

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020
ISP is Time Warner Spectrum 200Gbps download speed.

CURRENT Modem/Router Manufacturer Model to be replaced: Ubee DVW32C1(wireless disengaged)

Existing Routers in use:
Archer C50(running network 1)
TP-Link Archer C2600(running network 2)

First, THANK you for taking the time to see if you can help. Simply put, I have a Ubee Modem/Router that the ISP has troubleshooted and said has an issue in receiving power internally which is causing my internet instabilities/slowdowns/disconnects. They've sent a replacement that I cannot use because it is just a modem with a single port in the back, and I need 2 ports. They tell me they cannot provide a replacement with more than one port and I need to supply my own.

My setup has the two wireless routers that I listed above, each plugged into an ethernet port of the Ubee modem/router to run segregated networks. The modem/router itself will NOT be broadcasting a wireless network so its wireless speed isn't an issue.

Now that the Ubee device needs to be replaced, can you please recommend a model that will allow me to swap it out and minimize the chance that there will be a problem with the two networks being able to run as they have been running?

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-spectrum-network/?cid=hhe-int-ica

Here is the list of spectrum approved models they gave me. So far my shortlist is to choose from the following, any recommendations?:

Motorola MG7550 OR MG7700
Arris SBG6950AC2 OR SBG7400AC2

Thank you for your time!

Matt

Last edited:
Solution
I have spectrum and the ubee at one of my sites. The most important thing is--were you getting 2x public IPs with the ubee, one for each network? If so, then the other choices (except maybe the mg7550) will probably introduce a double nat as they will only have multiple ports active in 'router mode'. If this isn't a problem, then any of them will do.

But if this a problem, I would suggest getting an unmanaged switch and connect it to their provided modem and the two routers so that each router can get its public IP as before. Otherwise, tell spectrum to find some other solution as you had multiple public IPs before and still need that and if you are paying for this and their equipment failed, that's not your problem and they need...
I have spectrum and the ubee at one of my sites. The most important thing is--were you getting 2x public IPs with the ubee, one for each network? If so, then the other choices (except maybe the mg7550) will probably introduce a double nat as they will only have multiple ports active in 'router mode'. If this isn't a problem, then any of them will do.

But if this a problem, I would suggest getting an unmanaged switch and connect it to their provided modem and the two routers so that each router can get its public IP as before. Otherwise, tell spectrum to find some other solution as you had multiple public IPs before and still need that and if you are paying for this and their equipment failed, that's not your problem and they need to find a replacement solution that works the same way.

Solution

MattMMMan17

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020
Thank you guys for your input!

To answer Samir's question, I only have one public IP so luckily not an issue.

I've gone with the model Arris SBG10 with 2 Lan ports for budget reasons so hoping all switches out without issue.