What Car do you drive?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
2011 VW Routan SE (family car)
1990 Mazda Miata (no power steering, 5-speed, welded in roll bar, lightest as it can be) (toy)

My wife and I are fortunate to both work from home so we share the van when we need to take the baby and I drive the Miata when I'm alone. I also drive whatever press car we're reviewing for a week :).

mknabster

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
I bought a 2007 Honda Accord SE last year as my first car and i have been every happy with it. I commute every day to work so it has been very good to me with gas mileage. Handles nice and looks sporty, despite the scratch i have on my bumper and dent on the hood, stupid people at work.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
1999 Honda Civic with an automatic transmission. The car is in pretty good condition.
It has the best imitation train horns under the hood that you can buy (Hornblasters Shockers) and has a genuine train bell inside the rear bumper..
Illegal 55w HID headlights, LED dome light (cus the stock one is way too dim), harbor freight fog lights turned into sidemarker lights so I can see where I'm turning in dark neighborhoods, underseat and trunk white CCFLs, 2000w inverter, 160A alternator, good tires and wheels from tire rack, fake "POLICE INTERCEPTOR" bumper sticker on lower left of trunk.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/danwat1234/civic

Has 227,000 miles on it now. The 5th and 6th gen civics (1992-2000) are the most reliable of years.

When 60MPG HCCI hybrids come out then I'll consider buying a new car, but until then..

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008

1996-2000 Civics has front and rear full wishbone suspension. With good tires and a big rear sway bar, you can whip around corners very quickly. It's a budget sports car :)
Newer Civics have a cheaper type of suspension called Mcpherson Strut..

Stampedez

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Hi, ive got a 1982 Mini cooper I've been working on since i was 16.

I transplanted a year 2000 Honda Civic Vti estate engine with Integra Type-R camshaft, 70mm throttle body and a Honda S300 engine management system. Fun car, need to pass my test ASAP! (No fun with a parent in).

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
vlcsnap-00008.jpg

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

I realize its *good*, but my point stands...if that money went towards something better rather then modding it would whip around corners "even quicker". There's also a reason high end sports car manufacturers don't use wishbones. They make Mcpherson struts far superior than any wishbone on a civic. If wishbone was really that much better, porsche, ferarri, bmw, audi....etc would use them. Seeing how they all use Mcpherson's...I think they figured it out.

HA lol.. My mother has this ugly yellow PT Crusier, and she had to drive to Minnesota, and she was worried about driving it because it has 130k miles on it so far (and it does run pretty bad) it has some kind of issue with the cooling system, cylinder head, waterpump, etc. I laughed at her and said my RSX has 92k miles on it, its just getting broken in. :D

Jay-Z

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Subaru Forester '09

Great first car, does everything right. Handles brilliantly, good acceleration and very practical

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Just about finished the stereo in my jeep. I got a JVC touch screen, 2 sets of Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.5" components for the front and back, a JL 450w 4 channel amp for the Kappas, a 10' JL W6 in a custom box, a Pheonix Gold 500w amp for the sub, and 2 1000cca batteries.
I got the whole interior ripped out and the head unit already installed.
Every new vehicle I've ever purchased I said that there'll be no modding it, I'm gonna keep it stock. This time I made it 2 months. Now I just need someone to reprogram my ecm, damn Dodge and their rolling codes, so my intake, manifolds, end exhaust can make some real power. I got my 2.5" lift kit ordered as well.

jbh

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
I've lost count on the cars I've had but currently in the household between me and the wife we have 3 cars..

1988 BMW E30 325i Touring ( my toy )
1999 VW passat tdi wagon ( my work horse )
2002 VW passat tdi wagon ( the wife's / family runaround )

popatim

Titan
98 modified bonneville ssei because its super comfy and wicked fast. My nice weather car.
98 olds intrigue 3800 w/m90 gen3 supercharger because it s a great winter beater.
07 Pontiac Vibe. decent family hauler that in no way satisfies my need for speed.

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
It has been so long that I totally forgot if I posted in this thread or not.
I've had a bunch of cars, but my current one:

1986 Mazda B2000 (SE-5 Plus 7)
261,xxx Miles

Its a neat little truck but the carburetor is shot and I only get 15MPG with it.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008

Yes I am seeing that Mcpherson is comparable to Wishbone suspensions. It isn't necessarily inferior at all. It's just an engineering decision. But Lexus uses wishbone still.
I am concerned about all these new cheap cars (and expensive hybrids & electrics including the $70K Cadillac ELR!) that have a torsion beam rear suspension (Mcpherson front of course). Might be limiting with handling on rough roads.

theultimateeye

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Sorry for the late response but i'm kinda new to Tom's and didn't notice the "Notifications" tab up top. Danwatt is right. I drive a (now) k24 swapped civic and have beaten many high dollar cars on the track. (Auto-x specifically) People make fun of civic's but the potential is limitless other than the fact that it's a FWD car. I mostly race against cars like STi's, Evo's, Lotus Elise's, 350/370z's, and the occasional Porsche. I can say with confidence I've taken home the trophy many times running in the same class as these cars.

My setup:

Car 1996 Honda Civic CX Hatchback w/ gutted rear and all the typical CTR interior stuff.

Engine - Now running a K24A2 (08 TSX) built engine, dynoe'd at 302 whp all-motor on a plenum manifold.

Suspension - JRZ triple adjustable coilovers ($4400 and worth every penny), Adjustable Megan Racing upper control arms, Roll center adjusters, 24mm ASR rear sway bar w/ adjustable end-links and subframe brace, PCI spherical RTA bushings, 3-point front Carbing tower bar w/ master cylinder brace, Function7 rear lower control arms, full-alignement/coilover adjustment/corner balancing, and most bushings replaced with Hardrace rubber. I will soon be installing a rigid collar kit to get rid of the subframe slack but the car is fast enough for now. So yeah....lotta money into the car and you're right I could've bought a used Porsche for how much I've spent. But it's my car and I can say I not only built it, but built it right, not bought it.

Brakes - Wilwood 6-piston 12 inch BBK up front, oem Integra GSR rear calipers. All pads are Cobalt Friction (The best imo. I've tried damn near all of them).

theultimateeye

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Sorry for the late response but i'm kinda new to Tom's and didn't notice the "Notifications" tab up top. Danwatt is right. I drive a (now) k24 swapped civic and have beaten many high dollar cars on the track. (Auto-x specifically) People make fun of civic's but the potential is limitless other than the fact that it's a FWD car. I mostly race against cars like STi's, Evo's, Lotus Elise's, 350/370z's, and the occasional Porsche. I can say with confidence I've taken home the trophy many times running in the same class as these cars.

My setup:

Car 1996 Honda Civic CX Hatchback w/ gutted rear and all the typical CTR interior stuff.

Engine - Now running a K24A2 (08 TSX) built engine, dynoe'd at 302 whp all-motor on a plenum manifold.

Suspension - JRZ triple adjustable coilovers ($4400 and worth every penny), Adjustable Megan Racing upper control arms, Roll center adjusters, 24mm ASR rear sway bar w/ adjustable end-links and subframe brace, PCI spherical RTA bushings, 3-point front Carbing tower bar w/ master cylinder brace, Function7 rear lower control arms, full-alignement/coilover adjustment/corner balancing, and most bushings replaced with Hardrace rubber. I will soon be installing a rigid collar kit to get rid of the subframe slack but the car is fast enough for now. So yeah....lotta money into the car and you're right I could've bought a used Porsche for how much I've spent. But it's my car and I can say I not only built it, but built it right, not bought it.

Brakes - Wilwood 6-piston 12 inch BBK up front, oem Integra GSR rear calipers. All pads are Cobalt Friction (The best imo. I've tried damn near all of them).

theultimateeye

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Nice nice. I'm a Mustang fan believe it or not. My very first car was a '66 Coupe with a straight 6 200 cubic inch engine lol. Thing was small as hell. My grandparents bought it for me for my 16th birthday. I was young and stupid however and sold/traded it for a Mitsubishi Eclipse non-turbo. Worst car move i've ever made in my life. My grandparents were crushed. I still feel bad to this day. Then my Dad and I built an '88 notchback w/ a supercharged 302. Was pretty quick but we never took it to the track. Any mods on your Stang?

TRENDING THREADS