What Car do you drive?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tonyb1968

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Ive a 2003 subaru impreza wrx sti Spec C limited
A 1999 version 5 STI type R
A 2005 Vauxhall astra 1.9 cdti and lastly...
(Project car) a 96 Peugeot 306 S16.

Rocky33

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
well, i currently drive my 2000 honda civic si, i enjoy driving it. DECENT gas milage. downside premium only damned high comp. b16 motors. still decent gas milage. never a problem =P

then what i wish i still had but just recently sold to catch up on debts sadly; my 1998 subaru impreza 2.5rs acadia green, 1994 honda prelude si and lastly my favy 1990 nissan s13 240sx swapped/build sr20det.

Prelude was the least of my favs blah but was clean as hell and one of the only clean titled si's out there that ive seen. most being rebuilt/salvaged. The 2.5rs was sexy, clean, fun ride enjoyed it in the winter times and hell the thing was rare. Acadia greens only came out in 98 wish i didnt have to sell her. The 240 lots of time and money invested, but like all good things it had to come to an end when I had to relocate back to WA. Oh well the day will come when I get to build another lol.

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I am surprised with no pics in this entire thread.

I retired my 92 Roadmaster wagon in 01 with 210k on it. It was my work car but I actually drove it more when I was off work than I did my LSC. After a few years I really started missing the versatility I had with it and started to look for another. Since the stopped making them in 96 it was not easy to find a decent one with with relatively low miles. I found a decent one last fall and bought it on the spot.

Contrary to what they look like and you might think with decent shocks and tires they actually handle pretty decent and aren't that slow with the lt1 power plant. The only downside is the fuel mileage which I have been getting around 18 with a best of only 20 which for this car is fairly low, the 18 average isn't gab but the 20 hwy is a good 5 lower than it should be. This winter I will do a major tune-up and hopefully it will solve the problem. My guess is it is on all original 17 year old parts.

Car-4-3-13.jpg

int_0010.jpg

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Currently:
A 2003 Mazda 6S (sepang green)- Like it for the comfortable ride, decent gas mileage, 6 disc in dash CD player, and has been a pretty reliable car.

Also a 2003 Miata Shinsen Version (Titanium Gray)- So many things to like about this one. Great gas mileage, super fun to drive, easy to toss around any corner like a go cart, has a huge aftermarket if you have money to burn, & is convertible.

pabzOr

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
2002 Acura 3.2TL Type S

I love it.... and I love Acura period. It's comfy as hell, so smooth on the highways, pretty damn fast and sexy lookin. My transmission went 1 month after the 72 month extended warranty expired and the Acura dealership here in Edmonton honored the warranty even though I purchased the car 2nd hand through a 3rd party and it was 1 month out of the warranty.

I honestly will probably never buy anything other then a Honda again.

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Currently own a 1994 Nissan Sentra SE 2 Door. Slow, but extremely reliable. Has 199,xxx miles on it and still going strong as ever.

My very first car was a 1990 Geo Prizm with 218,xxx miles one it. Also extremely reliable, but being young I didn't think it was "cool". Eww, 4 door :p

1.6L 4Cyl TwinCam Engine. Gets about 25-27 MPG City. Highest I got was 28 in the city.

281775_10150242076283869_601938868_7436390_3883285_n.jpg

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Right now I got a '05 CTS, '08 Dodge 4500 with a service body(work truck), '81 280Z (project car). Favorite cars I've owned were '71 Impala, '81 Celica GT, and my '69 VW Van. I won't list all my cars because my 280Z is my 31. I've owned more cars than my age. Biggest regret was not getting a '64 Lincoln Continental 4 door. Damn car had 60k miles on it, leather was perfect and I could have got it for 4k. I was driving a lot for work at the time so I bought a car with good fuel economy, a '96 Sunfire GT. Worst decision ever.

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Just traded my CTS for a new Grand Cherokee. It's pretty good, I gotta upgrade the stereo like every car I've owned. I have the head unit, 2 amps, and a JL W6 12" sub. I'm going to do the fibreglass sub box and run all the wires this weekend. I should have the component speakers and the harness kit for the head unit next week for me to finish it. After that I gotta look at a 2" lift and I should be good to go.

I have a 2003 Acura RSX Type S 6-speed manual.. Its black on black (exterior and interior leather and carpet). No fancy spoiler, and no fart cannon muffler for me. I like it because its good on gas mileage and peppy when it needs to be, fun to drive (its my 5th car but my first stick shift). Its reliable and simple to fix when it breaks.

2qv6rud.jpg

I enjoy it alot, it kinda sucks in gridlock of course. But there are many reasons why a manual is superior to an automatic from a mechanical standpoint.

1. Gas mileage- An automatic basically runs by having a hydraulic pump force liquid (transmission fluid) through a turbine-like device called a torque converter.
2. Power- About 1/3 of an automatic's horsepower is lost in the transmission. This kinda falls in line with number 1 as well. It takes a lot of power from your engine to make it run that could otherwise be going to your wheels.
3. Manual transmissions are generally more durable and cheaper to fix when they actually do break.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Well I know all of those points, but what about the fun factor?

Oh and BTW, you may not like traffic at first but eventually you will get used to it and you won't care. Eventually you get so good with feathering out your clutch that moving forward a few inches in traffic constantly becomes extremely easy.