[SOLVED] What Card to buy!?

HolicFPS

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Hi Lads.
i got a problem im saving money to buy a new Gpu but i dont know which one i should pick!?
so i got:

i7 6700k
asus Z-170A
16gbram HyperX
2 SSd's (860evo samsung and a M.2WD)
GPu is a 670gtx dcii 2gbram
i play on 1080p Asus monitor 70hz refresh rate(i know it sucks) lol

my Question is i've been reading alot about the new AMD are good for their Price/Performance, i was honestly thinking to buy:
1660ti
2060rtx
Rx 5700XT
5600XT
or a 1080ti used or a 1080 brand new?!
i've been using Nvidia since ever....

id love to ear some opinions ;)

Solution
IMO, you'd be wiser to stick with Nvidia. Yes, the AMD cards offer more bang for the buck right now but there are some well known issues with current Navi cards and they are issues that have not only popped up over the last few months but also some that have been around since Navi was released many months ago. To be clear, not everybody is experiencing these issues, but a lot of folks are.

https://www.techspot.com/news/84005-gamers-ditching-radeon-graphics-cards-over-driver-issues.html

And we've seen evidence of it here as well. Here is just one such example from another member.

For your system I'd say that the 1660 Super, GTX 1660 ti or...
How much does budget matter? Do you think you are experienced or patient enough to handle potential AMD driver issues?
Don't get a 1080 new. They are overpriced at this point.
Technically the 1080 Ti used or 5700XT new are the best options, but they do cost significantly more than a 1660 Ti (and are unneccesary for 1080p 70fps).

IMO, you'd be wiser to stick with Nvidia. Yes, the AMD cards offer more bang for the buck right now but there are some well known issues with current Navi cards and they are issues that have not only popped up over the last few months but also some that have been around since Navi was released many months ago. To be clear, not everybody is experiencing these issues, but a lot of folks are.

https://www.techspot.com/news/84005-gamers-ditching-radeon-graphics-cards-over-driver-issues.html

And we've seen evidence of it here as well. Here is just one such example from another member.

For your system I'd say that the 1660 Super, GTX 1660 ti or RTX 2060 would all be great choices. I'm currently running a 2060 Super with my 6700k and it's a great fit even at 1440p.

Last gen 1000 series Nvidia cards should be avoided. They will be exorbitantly expensive new and used they are not a good risk because they are the generation that is likely to have seen use as either a mining card or by now have been run long and hard in somebody's gaming machine. Certainly there ARE some deals out there on good used cards to be had, but I'd recommend letting somebody else roll those dice because we've seen plenty of people come out on the shitty end of the stick buying used AMD RX 500 series and Nvidia used 1000 series cards.

If you want to stick with the less expensive Navi cards, then unless you plan to upgrade your monitor to a 1440p display sometime in the near future, I would think that the regular RX 5700 non-XT would be more than enough for 1080p and any of these cards would be a good fit with your CPU. The real question becomes, before deciding about budget and a card model or which camp you want to drop to your gear in, what the exact model of your power supply is so we know whether it can adequately support a given card or not.

Reactions: extreme_noob
Solution
I've been using a Navi card for the last 4 months. I've had lots of problems with it. But most of those issues were cleared up with the next to latest driver update. I wouldn't go the route of used cards because you might get a card that has been mined on. I'd get a 1660 Super and call it a day. The RTX 2060 is only worth it if more games come out that can effectively use the RT and tensor cores.