What CAS settings/Speed should I expect to reasonably achieve with recent DDR3 modules?

Cogitation

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
I've never tried to overclock DDR3 ram, and I'm looking at building new systems with it. Can an expert overclocker chime in with what's reasonable and what kind of brand/model combinations I should look into for achieving good overclocks?

What about RAM with a decent XMS profile out of the box?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
It will primarily depend on the CPU (more precisely the individual MC (memory controller) in the CPU ( and Intel MCs are much stronger than AMDs and can handle higher freq DRAM) and the Set of DRAM itself - do you have a CPU/mobo combo picked out?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Am3+ uses the FX CPUs which are rated up to 1866 at 1 stick per channel, have seen some run 2133/2400 in small amounts (4/8GB).....the Intel rigs with K CPUs, it's more the sky's the limit, but again it comes back to the CPU (MC)...as far as actually OCing the DRAM, that often depends on the skill and patience of the one doing the OCing, most good sets of sticks with a K CPU can fairly easily OC up a step in CL/freq and many can go higher, I tend to lean towards GSkill, their Tridents are extremely good OCers and their lines of Snipers and the Ripjaws lines (RJ X and RJ Z) are very good also. If looking to build a good rig that you can OC and grow, I'd suggest a Z97 mobo and ppair it with a 46/4790K CPU, this will open the avenue to Broadwell CPUs in the future and the Z97s OC and deal with DRAM and heat better than the Z87s