Question What caused my blown psu?

Dexxly_uk

Reputable
Nov 29, 2020
Recently, I've been encountering troubling issues with my PC. Initially, it began with a startling static or electric noise whenever I plugged something into a socket near it.

After a few days, this noise escalated, occurring even when I was playing games, which became quite alarming. Eventually, it started happening randomly, even when the PC was idle. Today, the noise intensified, and the PC abruptly shut off, refusing to turn back on.

I managed to restart it using my brother's PSU, indicating that the problem is PSU-related. However, I'm concerned that the issue might be caused by something else, such as the case potentially causing a short circuit.

Using my brothers psu I have been unable to recreate this noise as of yet,

The psu switch refuses to turn off just springing back.

Any suggestions or insights into resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Nothing seems to be damaged(apart from the psu obviously )

The psu is an evga 700bq bronze 80 plus

also this psu is just over a year old

My specs
- Motherboard: ASUS A320K
- CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (overclocked)
- RAM: 32GB DDR4 3600MHz
- GPU: RTX 4060Ti Founders Edition
- PSU: EVGA 700W Bronze

Last edited:
Hey there,

Well, there could be a number of reasons. How old is the PSU? Running overclocks, draws more power. Stop running them.

The BQ was bang average in it's day. Not really suitable for a modern gaming PC, IMO. Even though it has/had a 5 year warranty, the parts aren't top quality. It may have just had it's time.

Edit: Also, your mobo is very basic, and overclocking the CPU doesn't make much sense, as it will likely throttle the VRM;s, which are not up to overclocking at all. It has just 6 power phases, which normally means 4 for the CPU and 2 for the remainder system. Not ideal for what you are doing.

boohoo2u

Prominent
Mar 18, 2023
Sounds like just a faulty PSU especially if you have used a spare and everything seems ok.

If you say it's just over a year old, then contact EVGA for a replacement as it has a 5 year warranty.

Dexxly_uk

Reputable
Nov 29, 2020
Sounds like just a faulty PSU especially if you have used a spare and everything seems ok.

If you say it's just over a year old, then contact EVGA for a replacement as it has a 5 year warranty.
To be honest I have a bit of a hate for evga I will try track down the invoice but this is the 3rd evga psu I have had die on me now (all for different reasons)

I used to have a very bad nock off one with 500w and that one was more reliable only having to change it because of a gpu change back in 2020

Last edited:

Dexxly_uk

Reputable
Nov 29, 2020
Hey there,

Well, there could be a number of reasons. How old is the PSU? Running overclocks, draws more power. Stop running them.

The BQ was bang average in it's day. Not really suitable for a modern gaming PC, IMO. Even though it has/had a 5 year warranty, the parts aren't top quality. It may have just had it's time.

Edit: Also, your mobo is very basic, and overclocking the CPU doesn't make much sense, as it will likely throttle the VRM;s, which are not up to overclocking at all. It has just 6 power phases, which normally means 4 for the CPU and 2 for the remainder system. Not ideal for what you are doing.
Hello than you for the reply, the oc is a stock mobo oc I am running water cooling but I can't remove the oc I have tried before,

The oc is not that far off base clock anyway.

I would like to remove the oc because it is annoying and causes me pain such as thermal issues.

Hello than you for the reply, the oc is a stock mobo oc I am running water cooling but I can't remove the oc I have tried before,

The oc is not that far off base clock anyway.

I would like to remove the oc because it is annoying and causes me pain such as thermal issues.
Simply reboot your PC, and press either F2 or Delete key to enter the bios. Find the option to reset, and activate it, then save and exit. This will default your bios. The overclock will be gone. Weell, unless you used Ryzen Master?

Dexxly_uk

Reputable
Nov 29, 2020
Simply reboot your PC, and press either F2 or Delete key to enter the bios. Find the option to reset, and activate it, then save and exit. This will default your bios. The overclock will be gone. Weell, unless you used Ryzen Master?
I will try that when I can get the pc fixed It is a bios oc and I have tried reseting the cmos and the didn't work

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Dexxly_uk

Reputable
Nov 29, 2020
Also as a note I may get a new aio cooler because even tho I can't see or feel a leak little bits of water keep ending up on the glass suspiciously near to the psu

I have just ordered a corsair psu

Dexxly_uk

Reputable
Nov 29, 2020
Im just worried about hearing the sound again and what to do on a new psu I don't really feel like killing a new psu after like 5 mins

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"The psu switch refuses to turn off just springing back"

Does that refer to the original EVGA 700W Bronze PSU or your brother's PSU (make, model, wattage)?

= = = =

This motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...IME_A320M-K_UM_V3_WEB.pdf?model=PRIME A320M-K

Verify that I found the applicable manual.

Before doing anything read and review the User Manual. Visit the Asus website to check for changes and updates.

Confirm that any replacement components are on the QVL (Qualified Vendor's List).

Can you provide more description about the sound? Where did the sound seem to be coming from?

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Use a bright flashlight to do a physical inspection for any signs of damage.

Lastly: is all important data backed up?

Dexxly_uk

Reputable
Nov 29, 2020
The mob is an msi b450 m i forgot to change that in the spec sheet .

I have looked around the pc and cleared debris still nothing.

The sound was like a discharge sound I can't explain it that well maybe like an arcing sound but a bit more low piched.

nothing else was broken just the psu.

and yes that is my psu and the switch is still refusing to go into the off position.

Last edited:

Dexxly_uk

Reputable
Nov 29, 2020
Update:

I installed the new psu with minor annoyance due to my badly designed case.

The pc boots everything seems fine and no strange noises yet.