Question What causes my CPU usage going up that high?

Apr 25, 2019
I have an Intel Core i5-8600 3100Mhz 9mb LGA1151 cpu, and when I play Counter Strike 1.6 (yes that old classic CS), my CPU usage goes up to 40-60%, which is ridiculous, nothing else is opened, but the game and Steam. What causes it?

What does it say in task manager? Open task manager, sort processes by CPU usage and tell us what is reported there.

Don't be surprised if it is CS. Some games don't implement CPU limits, so it will keep your CPU busy regardless of how fast it is.

Apr 25, 2019
What does it say in task manager? Open task manager, sort processes by CPU usage and tell us what is reported there.

Don't be surprised if it is CS. Some games don't implement CPU limits, so it will keep your CPU busy regardless of how fast it is.

Okay, i sorted CPU by usage in Task Manager, CS uses 25-40% of it, Steam uses 1-10%. I also noticed, that if Mozilla is open, it takes up 1042 Mb (over a Gb) of RAM, and says its 65%, but how is that possible if I have 8gb RAM? (I know this is not linked to my previous question, I just don't want to start another thread)

A lot of your memory will be allocated by the system even if you aren't running anything. This is how it should work, processes will load into system memory so they can run fast when needed. If it is constantly close to 100%, you have a problem, otherwise it's ok. The system is just making use of the resources available.

Apr 25, 2019
A lot of your memory will be allocated by the system even if you aren't running anything. This is how it should work, processes will load into system memory so they can run fast when needed. If it is constantly close to 100%, you have a problem, otherwise it's ok. The system is just making use of the resources available.

Alrighty, what can cause massive FPS lag when playing the game? Like I had to cap it at 100 FPS, because the server I'm playing on does not allow more, but it drops to 80-60-40 sometimes 20 and sometimes it just drops to 1 and like my game is all frozen, which is very strange, because when playing a way newer game (for example Rainbow Six, PUBG), I have 100-150 fps, and very rarely drops any frame at all.

mtracy1991

Reputable
Alrighty, what can cause massive FPS lag when playing the game? Like I had to cap it at 100 FPS, because the server I'm playing on does not allow more, but it drops to 80-60-40 sometimes 20 and sometimes it just drops to 1 and like my game is all frozen, which is very strange, because when playing a way newer game (for example Rainbow Six, PUBG), I have 100-150 fps, and very rarely drops any frame at all.

So lockups can occur with cpu and memory hitting 100%. Ive had it happen when pubg first came out

To diagnose that, you should let task manager, or better yet resource monitor, running in the background as you play. When it happens, check for resource usage on CPU, Memory and Disk.