CPU:
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology

Memory:
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz

Motherboard:
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Model: Z97-AR

Monitors:
Acer - S/N: MMT0BAA00352707A454205 (1920x1080@60Hz)

Graphics:
8192 MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

Storage:
128GB - C300-CTFDDAC128MAG ATA Device
250GB - Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB ATA Device
320GB - WDC WD3200AAKS-61L9A0 ATA Device

Power supply:
Corsair CX-M series CX600M 600W 80 Plus Bronze Active PFC ATX12V & EPS12V Modular Power Supply

Case:
Thermaltake - not sure the exact model, but outside dimensions are 7 1/4 (width) x 18 1/8 (Depth) x 16 1/4 (Height)

I primarily play Call of Duty, Modern Warfare, but I want to be prepared to play other upcoming games. When I'm playing CoD, I get a lot of stuttering, or a lag of 1-2 seconds, even on low settings across the board - and it is definitely not my internet. I feel like my GPU should be able to handle it...but I'm thinking my drives are a bit too filled, the CPU may need an upgrade, and my monitor definitely needs to be upgraded...but I wanted to get your thoughts. With that said, I'm fine with upgrading anything, especially if I need to upgrade something to support another component. As for budget, I'm looking to keep everything around $2000, but I'm flexible.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Solution
If you want to get an overall faster system and faster game performance, I would upgrade the CPU. You can get something like a ryzen 5 3600 or wait for the next gen ryzen cpu's which will come very soon. If you upgrade the CPU you will also have to upgrade the motherboard. You can go for the cheaper B450's or if you want something more high end X570. The GTX 1080 is still a good GPU so I would not change that for now. What also has to be upgraded is your operating system, windows 7 has a lot issues with incompatibility for newer games and software. If you would get a ryzen cpu, you should also pick new memory because ddr3 is not supported by them. Instead you should get a 3200mhz or higher 2x8 kit of ram.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
That system shouldn't be stuttering to make 1080/60 on anything, particularly low settings. Something else at play there.

To the subject at hand. $2K is a GREAT build and particularly if you keep your very relevant GPU. I would eliminate it as cause of current problem to be sure.

Kenbrown2

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
Thanks, punkncat. The only thing I can think of is maybe too much of my storage is being used up? Or maybe an upgrade to my operating system or at least a wipe and reinstall?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Having low disk space on your OS drive will certainly cause issues.

If you have the ability to do so, I would probably ghost/clone your current install and do a "try and see" Windows 10 install on a fresh formatted drive. If it goes well you may be able to use your 7 key to activate, etc.

I would mention a side note about temps, cleaning dust, etc.

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
If you want to get an overall faster system and faster game performance, I would upgrade the CPU. You can get something like a ryzen 5 3600 or wait for the next gen ryzen cpu's which will come very soon. If you upgrade the CPU you will also have to upgrade the motherboard. You can go for the cheaper B450's or if you want something more high end X570. The GTX 1080 is still a good GPU so I would not change that for now. What also has to be upgraded is your operating system, windows 7 has a lot issues with incompatibility for newer games and software. If you would get a ryzen cpu, you should also pick new memory because ddr3 is not supported by them. Instead you should get a 3200mhz or higher 2x8 kit of ram.

Solution

Kenbrown2

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
Thanks, Iniaskle - I may end up upgrading to those items. I'll probably try getting a new SSD with more room, and installing a fresh copy of windows 10.

Do you know what the "schedule" is for the next gen ryzen cpus? Next month, this year, etc.

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
Thanks, Iniaskle - I may end up upgrading to those items. I'll probably try getting a new SSD with more room, and installing a fresh copy of windows 10.

Do you know what the "schedule" is for the next gen ryzen cpus? Next month, this year, etc.
Probably in october, you already have some SSD's. You can just get a 1 or 2TB hdd just to put games on or whatever you want to put on there. HDD are much cheaper and good to put games on.

May 20, 2020
here are my current specs

Operating System:
Windows 7 (6.1) Home Premium Edition 64-Bit
Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
DirectX 11.0

CPU:
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology

Memory:
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz

Motherboard:
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Model: Z97-AR

Monitors:
Acer - S/N: MMT0BAA00352707A454205 (1920x1080@60Hz)

Graphics:
8192 MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

Storage:
128GB - C300-CTFDDAC128MAG ATA Device
250GB - Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB ATA Device
320GB - WDC WD3200AAKS-61L9A0 ATA Device

Power supply:
Corsair CX-M series CX600M 600W 80 Plus Bronze Active PFC ATX12V & EPS12V Modular Power Supply

Case:
Thermaltake - not sure the exact model, but outside dimensions are 7 1/4 (width) x 18 1/8 (Depth) x 16 1/4 (Height)

I primarily play Call of Duty, Modern Warfare, but I want to be prepared to play other upcoming games. When I'm playing CoD, I get a lot of stuttering, or a lag of 1-2 seconds, even on low settings across the board - and it is definitely not my internet. I feel like my GPU should be able to handle it...but I'm thinking my drives are a bit too filled, the CPU may need an upgrade, and my monitor definitely needs to be upgraded...but I wanted to get your thoughts. With that said, I'm fine with upgrading anything, especially if I need to upgrade something to support another component. As for budget, I'm looking to keep everything around $2000, but I'm flexible.

Thanks for your help in advance!
I think you should get a better drive, atleast a terabyte. Also, if you wanna play COD I don't know why you use such an old card. Sure, it may run but I doubt it runs as good as you would get with an RTX. Also, slap Windows 10 unless you prefer Linux, it has support for DirectX 12 and more games. Also, try getting a new MB. If you wanna stay with Asus you should get a ROG Board. Also, your 16GB RAM only has 799MHZ? If you dont plan on getting new RAM, turn on XMP. Thats not even 1000/1024MHZ. I doubt that sounds right. Also, before upgrading back up. This hopefully should allow you to upgrade to Windows 10. Or, you can try install Linux but I doubt that your 7 programs will work on Linux, but could possiby work on 10 if they are on the latest version but still work on 7.

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
I think you should get a better drive, atleast a terabyte. Also, if you wanna play COD I don't know why you use such an old card. Sure, it may run but I doubt it runs as good as you would get with an RTX. Also, slap Windows 10 unless you prefer Linux, it has support for DirectX 12 and more games. Also, try getting a new MB. If you wanna stay with Asus you should get a ROG Board. Also, your 16GB RAM only has 799MHZ? If you dont plan on getting new RAM, turn on XMP. Thats not even 1000/1024MHZ. I doubt that sounds right. Also, before upgrading back up. This hopefully should allow you to upgrade to Windows 10. Or, you can try install Linux but I doubt that your 7 programs will work on Linux, but could possiby work on 10 if they are on the latest version but still work on 7.
Why would he have to upgrade the gtx 1080? it is still a good card that has simular performance compared to an rtx 2060 super. He games at 1080p and 60hz, there is no need for that GPU to be upgraded. Also upgrading to a faster ram will not be noticable with that CPU.