What could be wrong?

mall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Hey all!
So we just bought a new graphics card for my younger brother, and i thought i was gonna scramble together some of my old hardware and give him.
All of it has been used by me before (except the graphics card) and i know it all works.
So here is the problem. When i got it all together and booted it (Its XP btw) it went into the stage when loading XP. But in the middle of the process it goes to sleep. I can go into fail safe mode and so on. My thought is that, i used almost all new parts instead of his old computer (where the harddrive was used earlier) so somehow XP wont boot up because all components are new, i know this happened to some ppl before, but i need help to understand the problem, if its only a clean install of windows xp needed, its no prob.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Basically what XP does is it takes a snapshot of your hardware configuration, namely the motherboard, when it is installed. Whenever XP detects new hardware it'll do this kind of thing, but like rolli said it usually gives you some kind of message asking for a activation code, it won't go to sleep.

mall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Any idea of why Xp would go to sleep?
I mean it could be the hardware, all pieces except the harddrive are all "new".
Ive heard about ppl being unable to boot in cuz they had to do a fresh install and stuff.

mall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
I may have described it wrong... but the computer boots, starts to start up windows xp, then it gets restarted. I think its the operative system that may be broken. Ideas?

So you had this old computer stuff w/ some kinda GFX card and then you put a new one in and it won't start up ?

Go back to original build w/o GFX card, uninstall GFX drivers, reboot. Then use registry editor to remove anything related to ya GFX card (read all things nVidia or ATI). Shut down and install new GFX card, ignore windows if it asks to install drivers for new hardware, then install them yaself.

If it's a hodgepodge of miscellaneous parts, fresh install req'd.