Question What could cause a motherboard to no longer make it to BIOS once secure boot is enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
Simply put, windows 11 beta, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, disabled CSM in order to enable safe boot to install win 11 and give it a spin. PC no longer makes it to BIOS. I'm sure a CMOS reset will fix that but any reason why it won't boot with secure boot enabled / csm disabled...

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
Quick update CMOS obviously lets me now boot. But again I can't successfully get to the bios splash screen with csm disabled and secure boot enabled. Any help appreciated as I'd like to give win 11 a spin before it gets deployed at work

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
Ive read several people having similar problems on the AMD platform trying to get secure boot/fTDM 2.0 to work in their BIOS then not being able to boot properly afterwards. Im leaving Windows 11 well alone for a couple of years!
To be honest if it wasn't absolutely mission critical that I get comfortable with it before it's super mainstream I wouldn't touch it either. Updating my bios now just to see. I'm sure it's similar to win 10 in location of settings as well as admin tools the lot but it's still worth me having a go. Can't wait for all my programs to not work for the next 6 months to a year lmao.

Edit: BIOS update did not fix the issue. It appears so bugged that even discarding the settings once I've selected enable leaves me unable to boot

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz
D

Deleted member 14196

use a virtual machine to deploy it. DON'T install it on hardware while you learn and explore
VMWare Player can create a VM, it's free for personal use. Other than that, how comfortable are you losing everything on that PC?

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
With various backups and such I'm pretty comfortable losing the stuff I use regularly most of my important files are stored on hard drives in the attic or just left unplugged, although really a VM wouldn't give me accurate figures on how well win 11 would work with Adobe premiere Pro and other such editing programs which in my experience in VMs would probably struggle to run. What you should really be asking is how comfortable are you spending £75 on a new motherboard cus my ones just bricked, I mean seriously all I did was turn on secure boot lol and clear the CMOS, maybe I didn't give the CMOS enough time to reload after resting but either way it's just fully bricked it...

Reactions: TopgunMavericK
Status
Not open for further replies.