Question What CPU and MOBO should i get with my 3090ti?

Jan 12, 2023
Hello, so recently I upgraded my gpu to a 3090ti and am looking to upgrade the cpu and mobo. My current setup is, a 3090ti, r7 3700x, b450 tomahawk max, 32 gb ram 3600mhz, evga 1000watt supernova t2 psu and an nzxt h510i.

Thank you.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You could make the move to AMD's AM5 platform if you want to be in the same camp or go towards Intel's Z790 platform. What sort of tasks will you be taxing the system with? Gaming only? If so, what sort of titles do you currently play? If it's for productivity, including the app's will help us two fold. If it's both for work and play, please state them as well.

Just a reminder, with heatware in 2023, that H510i is a bad case to be working with, especially since the other options even within NZXT's portfolio are better suited to hot headed hardware like the concurrent generation of high end PC parts.

Jan 12, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You could make the move to AMD's AM5 platform if you want to be in the same camp or go towards Intel's Z790 platform. What sort of tasks will you be taxing the system with? Gaming only? If so, what sort of titles do you currently play? If it's for productivity, including the app's will help us two fold. If it's both for work and play, please state them as well.

Just a reminder, with heatware in 2023, that H510i is a bad case to be working with, especially since the other options even within NZXT's portfolio are better suited to hot headed hardware like the concurrent generation of high end PC parts.

It will mainly be for gaming and some Microsoft Office for school. What case do you recommend? Also I plan on having it stay atx.

MSI MAG X570s Tomhawk MAX Wifi has bluetooth, wifi 6, very good audio, USB-C and sell for ~$229.00. You can always choosea B550 board that are in the sub $200 range.

As a 510 owner I'm not sure I'd recommend this case for your new build. The 510 flow or H5 would be the better choice but they are more expensive now.

I went with the MSI Gungnir 110R for a new build. Still a modern look but with better airflow. The case is easy enough to work and no compaints.

Jan 12, 2023
MSI MAG X570s Tomhawk MAX Wifi has bluetooth, wifi 6, very good audio, USB-C and sell for ~$229.00. You can always choosea B550 board that are in the sub $200 range.

As a 510 owner I'm not sure I'd recommend this case for your new build. The 510 flow or H5 would be the better choice but they are more expensive now.

I went with the MSI Gungnir 110R for a new build. Still a modern look but with better airflow. The case is easy enough to work and no compaints.
Thanks, is

Thanks is the x570 fairly future proof? I will definitely upgrade the case.

Jan 12, 2023

Would I need to flash the bios to use it with a 5800x or 5800x3d?

DSzymborski

Titan
The 5800X3D maybe. It depends what BIOS it comes with.

Gotta be honest; I like the 5800X3D here as an upgrade, not as a fully new build. If you're giving your old stuff to your brother, then I think a new DDR5 build makes sense. Zen 3 is terrific -- my main PC uses one -- but it's hard to call anything DDR4 future-proof with nothing more coming out for it and the DDR5 transition well underway.

Jan 12, 2023
The 5800X3D maybe. It depends what BIOS it comes with.

Gotta be honest; I like the 5800X3D here as an upgrade, not as a fully new build. If you're giving your old stuff to your brother, then I think a new DDR5 build makes sense. Zen 3 is terrific -- my main PC uses one -- but it's hard to call anything DDR4 future-proof with nothing more coming out for it and the DDR5 transition well underway.

Thank you. What mobo would you suggest to go with the 5800x3d? Preferably one that doesn't need a bios flash to operate out of the box.

DSzymborski

Titan
Thank you. What mobo would you suggest to go with the 5800x3d? Preferably one that doesn't need a bios flash to operate out of the box.

The recommendation was fine. One problem is that while late X570 motherboards did finally start coming out with Zen 3 CPUs in the BIOS, the 5800X3D was a late arrival, and it's going to be hit or miss if the motherboard has been updated for that. With CPU sales slowing down, there are likely a ton of motherboards that were manufactured well before the 5800X3D came out.

Jan 12, 2023
The recommendation was fine. One problem is that while late X570 motherboards did finally start coming out with Zen 3 CPUs in the BIOS, the 5800X3D was a late arrival, and it's going to be hit or miss if the motherboard has been updated for that. With CPU sales slowing down, there are likely a ton of motherboards that were manufactured well before the 5800X3D came out.

Thanks

Jan 12, 2023

If I choose to go with ddr5 what amd cpu and mobo do you suggest?

Jan 12, 2023
Thanks, how do they compare to the one previously recommended?

Reactions: Why_Me
Jan 12, 2023
Jan 12, 2023

So I will likely go with the msi pro z790-a but the ddr4 version due to just upgrading my ram which is ddr4 and will not fit in the ddr5 slot. Is the ddr4 version a good choice? I'm wanting to upgrade to an Intel cpu rather than amd so the original suggestion would not work.