[SOLVED] What cpu to match with a 3080 for a 240hz fortnite competitive build?

May 8, 2020
Once I am able to get my hands on a 3080 I am going to build a computer with a main purpose of high frames for stacked end games in fortnite. I was going to pair the 3080 with 9900k but wanted to make sure no bottlenecking would occur with this cpu. Should I move up or down? go with amd? Any suggestions for a cpu on a 240hz setup?

Solution
What little advantage Intel has over AMD is the high-end GPU treatment. For any GPU higher than RX 5700 XT you should choose an Intel CPU (especially if you are going to use 1080P). In these cases using an AMD cpu (any) is equivalent to using a gpu a lower grade.

Choose a 10th generation CPU. From the I5-10600K that you can afford.
What resolution will you be playing at? ...1080p, 1440p, 2160p?

The simple answer would be, "The best CPU you can get!" You're talking about a GPU that, supposedly, will have twice the power of an RTX 2080. So matching it with something like the i7-10700K or the i9-10900K would be the way to go. Of course, the i9-9900k would work fine as well.

Also, the idea of bottlenecking is regularly blown out of proportion. Of course it exists, but it's the outlier. Many (perceived) performance issues receive the undeserved, knee-jerk bottleneck reaction.

May 8, 2020
What resolution will you be playing at? ...1080p, 1440p, 2160p?

The simple answer would be, "The best CPU you can get!" You're talking about a GPU that, supposedly, will have twice the power of an RTX 2080. So matching it with something like the i7-10700K or the i9-10900K would be the way to go. Of course, the i9-9900k would work fine as well.

Also, the idea of bottlenecking is regularly blown out of proportion. Of course it exists, but it's the outlier. Many (perceived) performance issues receive the undeserved, knee-jerk bottleneck reaction.

I would play playing in native 1920x1080 or a slighly less streched res. im more worried about high frames than the way the game looks. Fortnite servers are not in a great place so the goal is just to stay as close to 240 fps in scrims and stacked endgames. The investment is so deep at this point I just want to get the best performance I can. Maybe the 10900k is the way to go.

May 8, 2020
Its not just for fortnite, as I am a full time student taking online classes as a computer science major, so building and having the best computer is an interest and hobby for me. Also will be used for atleast 5 hours a day. The goal is the best performance for around 2k. Do you think there is a better setup to go for for around this price range? I also believe many people who are not into competitive fortnite don’t understand the differnce in running the game casually and in scrims/stacked games. I am excited for the performance jump from the 2080 ti. But at times in stacked engames the 2080 ti could drop to around 100 fps with a 9900k. Which you can def feel a difference from 240 fps.

What little advantage Intel has over AMD is the high-end GPU treatment. For any GPU higher than RX 5700 XT you should choose an Intel CPU (especially if you are going to use 1080P). In these cases using an AMD cpu (any) is equivalent to using a gpu a lower grade.

Choose a 10th generation CPU. From the I5-10600K that you can afford.

Solution

Amen!

(Although I'm sure somewhere, someone has purchased a 10900K , equipped it with a small air cooler, slapped it into a non-Z mainboard, and is currently ordering a shiny new RX550 or GTX1030 for it! At the other end of the spectrum, someone will order an RTX3090 with intent to stuff it into an FX8350-based rig)

:)

Reactions: alceryes