What CPU????

G

Hey here's a great question....

Which CPU/memory choice would be optimal for a server.
Let me know guys

AeroSnoop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree with bobl. Especially if you are looking at more than a single processor server. I don't think they have smp in the P4s yet, but even if they did I wouldn't recommend the current version of the P4.

G

a zeon processor hmmm

who makes this?

sounds coool

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
haven't u heard of Zintel? Tey're really big in outer Mongolia.

<font color=red>Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?</font color=red>

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
What kind of server are we talkin about here. Xeon stuff is expensive if you can get away with less then do so.

There is no way to make a decent reccomendation until we know what kind of server you plan on building.

If you take a truth and follow it blindly, it will become a Falsehood and you a Fanatic.

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
If you want a system for real growth go for a SUN 64bit UltraSPARC III processor. You can start with a single processor and scale to 24 in a single box, then cluster for more power.

PC processors and Windows just do not scale. You are probably after just a small server systems but there are so many stories of startups setting up servers on windows and then choking when they started to grow.

In a few years, Itanium/Hammer & Linux should be a good solution (especially with the investment IBM is making into this area of Linux development).

I don't think Windows will ever cut it, W2K Datacenter has been a bit of a failure and just highlights the fact that you can't make a personal OS be a highend server. Just look at what Hotmail is running on!

<font color=blue> The Revolution starts here... as soon as I finish my coffee </font color=blue> :eek:

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
~ you might want to get ecc ram to make it more stable ~

This is mandatory if you care about the data and high availability.

<font color=blue> The Revolution starts here... as soon as I finish my coffee </font color=blue> :eek: