[SOLVED] What diameter and length screw to use to mount m2 hd when screw is in pc case?

Sep 18, 2024
I have an M2 HD in a desktop. The screw holding it in is in the desktop case, not the motherboard.

The problem is the m2 hd is slanted as it's plugged into the motherboard, but held in by the screw in the pc case and the m2 hd needs to be straight.

I'm having trouble figuring out the size (length and diameter) of screw needed. Any suggestions?

PC Model: HP Prodesk 600 G5 MT

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The problem is the m2 hd is slanted as it's plugged into the motherboard, but held in by the screw in the pc case and the m2 hd needs to be straight.
You might want to pass on an image of the slant you speak of.

Are you sure about the Make and model of the prebuilt? My crude search leads me to find motherboards without an M.2 SSD slot.

But the screws should be universal in size;
https://www.amazon.com/SGTKJSJS-M-2-Screw-NVMe-Mounting/dp/B07Q3DLCJ4

Are you sure about the Make and model of the prebuilt? My crude search leads me to find motherboards without an M.2 SSD slot.

This was the only picture i could find inside an actual case, there are two m.2's that hang off the bottom right of the board.

Sep 18, 2024

yes, it originally came with a regulard hard drive, but I have upgraded it with an m2 hd. and yes i am positive on the model. I was looking at it when I posted my question. I am the main hardware tech at my company. However, I have just started to upgraded to m2's in a few older desktops. I have never done this before. It's pretty easy obviously, it's just getting it to be flush so there is not accidental physical breaks by putting pressure on the new m2 hd. I tried to upload a picture, but the system here is stating it needs to be a link, so not sure how to upload a pic otherwise.

I do like that suggestion with the amazon product. That is actually what I was looking for, I just didn't know the name of that type of screw to hold in another screw. so thank you. i will buy that and hopefully that will fit.

yes, it originally came with a regulard hard drive, but I have upgraded it with an m2 hd. and yes i am positive on the model. I was looking at it when I posted my question. I am the main hardware tech at my company. However, I have just started to upgraded to m2's in a few older desktops. I have never done this before. It's pretty easy obviously, it's just getting it to be flush so there is not accidental physical breaks by putting pressure on the new m2 hd. I tried to upload a picture, but the system here is stating it needs to be a link, so not sure how to upload a pic otherwise.

I do like that suggestion with the amazon product. That is actually what I was looking for, I just didn't know the name of that type of screw to hold in another screw. so thank you. i will buy that and hopefully that will fit.
you have to use a 3rd party like Imgur.com, you upload the image there and it gives you a link to post in the forums.