skud

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
Ok my situation:

have a pentium 3 933 mhz with a 40 gb hd. the hd had a 50/50 partition and i wanted to reformat the entire disk then make my own partitions and then re-install xp.
what i did:

1. i used a program called killdisk to wipe out the hd
2. used win98 fdisk to set partitions
3. plugged the hd in my other comp as a slave and used a pirate copy of xp pro to install on the drive

2 problems:

1. the hd wont load on my computer after setting it back to master drive with xp pro on it, now all it says when it boots is "verifying dmi pool data"

2. my other comp asks me what OS to boot with every time, even though only one is present.

Guidance?

Thanks, Andrew

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
why did you use win98 to set partitions when you can do that off the xp cd during your installation?

its part of the setup process. just run the xp install, the screen after it says "searching for previous version of windows" is the fdisk/formatting tools.
Delete all partitions...
Create your new partitions...
Make sure you do a full format on the newly created OS partition.

You will need to format the other partition once you are inside of windows from the administrative tools/computer management console.

hammerhead2

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I am guessing your pritated copy of xp pro required you
to upgrade only from windows,, no clean install on a bare drive
my quess is you need to rewipe the drive,, install win98 or me or 2000(guessing 2d computer may have os on it, thats why you did it that way)
and then do your upgrade creating your partitions at that piont
as for dual boot ,,the other computer still sees the original os and
the newly installed one,,have seen that before (see above),, was the partition set to active ,, while xp doesn't care what the partition its on
it needs to be active and on master drive or it seems as I had trouble
with xp installed on slave drive with out another os on master drive
at least

TRENDING THREADS