Question What does it mean if fan is cooling CPU slowly?

Jul 20, 2020
Hi,
I'll write my question in details and will summarize at the end:
I have AMD FX 8350 and motherboard Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0.
I had problems with it's high temp when I was using stock fan, when the usage was 70%-100% the temp used to go up to 69°.
Early May 2020 I installed Dark Freezer X94RD fan. The maximum temprateure I saw was some 54°, I was happy with that and stopped monitoring the CPU's temp.
BUT, few days ago, I was play a game that uses some 90% of the CPU most of the time and the PC just turned off while I was playing. I immediately suspected the CPU's temp, which actually was extremely high.
I cleansed the dust, removed the new fan, removed the old theral paste and put a new one, but the problem was not solved.
the CPU's temp can now goes up to 57° in Bios, on Idle state it's between 39-45° and in games it can go as high as 74° ! this is insane !!
I tried almost every thing, I cleansed the case from dust, I put new paste with enough quantity, the fan is firmly installed, and updated the Bios.
what could possible be the problem. I just don't get it?
I live in Istanbul and the weather is kind of hot (some 29° with high humidity), but there is no way that could be an enough reason for the CPU's temp to reach 75° or more !
I even tried to leave the case open and put a small (normal) fan facing it, the max temp went down to some 69° which is still high.
what I noticed is that the temp doesn't go down as quickly as to goes up, could that mean something?
I also noticed that if the CPU's temp goes high and I touch the fan's aluminum it also feels that, doesn't that mean the conductivity is fine?
one more notification; recently and out of curiosity I touched the motherboard's blue metal of "dual intelligent processors 3" when the CPU was at 43°, it was super hot, is that normal?

Summary:
  • AMD FX 8350 CPU + Dark Freezer X94RD fan = CPU temp extremely high (only noticed recently).
  • Bios is Updated.
  • Thermal Pasted is renewed.
  • Dust is cleansed.
  • Weather is kind of hot.
  • Fan seems firms, and heats up with CPU, which should indicate high conductivity (I guess).
  • Opening the case and puting a normal fan facing off the CPU's fan only seems to decrease the temp a little bit, but doesn't solve the problem.
  • CPU's temp goes high quickly and cools down slowly.
  • Aluminum of the motherboard's dual intelligent processors 3 is very hot.

What did I miss? how do I fix the CPU's temp problem?

Thanks in advance,

Jul 20, 2020
Thanks for the comment, but I don't think the problem is wrong reading.
I used speed fan, HWiNFO64 and now AMD Overdrive. All show very high cpu temp, as the images with hyperlinks below.
AMD Overdrive gives Thermal Margine which should be as large as possible, but I got 10 degrees with some 85% CPU loading, which is very alarming in my opinion. and that's while turning on the air condition, so the room's temp was not high at all.
AMD OverDrive
HWiNFO64
Speed Fan

I also tried to Fan contol to set it on max, it's already running max at 2177 rpm.
so... in regards of the details in my questions... what could possibly be wrong with my CPU cooling? 😢

Jul 20, 2020
mmm , well the linked website says Maximum operating temperature for the FX-8350 is 61c and I'm running it 71c which is pretty bad.
so, your saying the current cpu cooler (Dark Freezer X94RD) is the problem itself, and that I should replace it with Cooler Master Hyper 212 or better? did I understand correctly?
one thing that doesn't make sense to me, is that when I first installed this current cooler, I didn't see the temperature go beyond 55c, so what changed? unless I didn't test it enough and shouldn't have gotten it in the first place.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
mmm , well the linked website says Maximum operating temperature for the FX-8350 is 61c and I'm running it 71c which is pretty bad.
so, your saying the current cpu cooler (Dark Freezer X94RD) is the problem itself, and that I should replace it with Cooler Master Hyper 212 or better? did I understand correctly?
one thing that doesn't make sense to me, is that when I first installed this current cooler, I didn't see the temperature go beyond 55c, so what changed? unless I didn't test it enough and shouldn't have gotten it in the first place.
Download OCCT and run it and see what the temp is saying it's not a crazy load on the processor just more like a bit above average.

71C is not really that bad, when is the last time you cleaned the cooler for it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
61C Thermal Margin - it counts DOWN from 61C.
AMD did the algorithm differently with the FX chips; other programs aren't reading it correctly.
According to that, if your cpu is running 71C, then it's ICE COLD.

I didn't see the temperature go beyond 55c, so what changed?
I can't even tell you what this means, since you weren't using the appropriate app to begin with...

Jul 20, 2020
Download OCCT and run it and see what the temp is saying it's not a crazy load on the processor just more like a bit above average.

71C is not really that bad, when is the last time you cleaned the cooler for it.

I ran OCCT and I reached them temp within less than 6 minutes:
OCCT
kindly check it and tell me your opinion.
I cleaned the case and the cooler, and renewed the thermal paste 2 days ago.

Jul 20, 2020
What pc case are you using? How many intake/exhaust fans?
Can you show any photos?

The case is a basic one, nothing fancy. I installed a fan on the side to bring air in, and a fan on the back to take the air out, both the side and the back fans are pretty weak though.
linked images:
Opened Case
Side Fan
The air comes from the side fan, to the CPU's cooler, it's fan pushes the air towards the back fan which pushes it outside.
I though it's good enough until my PC turned off out of the CPU's heat.
now I'm leaving the case opened as the first linked image, it helps decreasing the temp some 3-4C nothing more.

Jul 20, 2020
Does the case have any frontal intake fans?
Case front panel - is it solid or mesh front?

No it doesn't have frontal fans, like I said, it's a basic case, nothing fancy.

Lot of dust buildup there. Your side intake fan is not filtered.

It does build up dust pretty quickly as you said, but I just cleaned it electric dust blower 2 days ago when the PC turned off out of the CPU's heat.

BTW - what graphics card are you using?
It's GTX 1050Ti, I have no problem with it's temp. I haven't seen it go higher than 58c.

The problem is the CPU's temp, which - based on my initial observation - I didn't have an issue with when I first installed the cooler some 2 months ago.