Question What does "Network Threat Protection" do in BitDefender ?

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
I'm running the latest version of BitDefender Total Security on Windows 11. Under Online Threat Protection > Network Threat Protection, I have this option toggled on.

But I'm wondering what it does exactly? It says it blocks exploits and ransomware (among other things), but I'm not sure what other info it's collecting about my system.

This is in the same section where I have many options disabled, as they pertain to monitoring my searching and visited websites (something I don't wish). Would like to get more info on how the Network Threat Protection is functioning.

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
FYI:

https://www.bitdefender.com/content/dam/bitdefender/consumers/case-studies/total-security/EN.pdf

Reference physically numbered Pages 34 and 35.

Easy to overlook the document because the link uses "case-studies" instead of User Guide/Manual.

Thanks, that's exactly the info I needed! And now that I have it, I have another question...

You can create a list of websites, domains, and IP addresses that willnot be scanned by the Bitdefender anti-threat, antiphishing, and antifraudengines. The list should contain only websites, domains, and IP addresses that you fully trust.

This is from the PDF. It says if you create an exception list for "trusted" sites, it won't scan any of those. Should I take that to mean, if I have no exceptions set, it will check/scan every website, domain and IP address I connect to in my browser? Because that's how it reads to me.

Ralston18

Titan
That would be my understanding.

Unless the end user explicitly exempts a website from scanning the websites, etc. will be scanned.

Be very leery of such thihgs.

Exceptions are potential vulnerabilities and some error in creating the exceptions could end badly.

Allow time for scans.

AKA "Trust but verify".

Will defer to resident security types/members who live and work with such things everyday.

There may be other ideas and suggestions.