Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2021
So I bought a R9 270x listed as broken/for parts as a learning project to see if I could fix it. so far I have gotten a very garbled and messed up display on it but only during the first day of me fixing this, ive tried flashing new bios, updating new and old drivers onto it, cleaning it, and I have tried to use a hairdryer as a heat gun but I realized that wouldn’t really work. I’ve also tried to mess around with the system bios to no effect and tried down clocking it only to figure out that it hand no clock on memory and gpu on both Msi afterburner and gpu-z but would have a clock of about 150mhz when checking hwinfo but that didn’t change anything. I believe the card is a visiontek one but club3d and vtx3d make the same dual fan shroud on the one I own but a sticker on the back says vt r9270x so I believe it’s more likely to be a visiontek but I’m not sure. I’ve also tried to clean the card and it’s ports to no effect, I can download drivers on the visiontek bios ive been using but the card in device manager keeps having a code 43 error while gpu-z does read that it has installed the bios so I believe that the card the cant use the drivers. I’ve pretty much run out of options at this point but I want to see if the community here can come up with some possible fixes to this gpu, I really want to see if I can get this card to come back to life before my new motherboard comes in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 22, 2021
Are you sure you have flash the right bios?

there were only 3 visiontek bios listed and 2 download and don’t crash so I’ve been testing with those 2, but I have mostly just been leaving it on the one that had dual fan edition listed on the bottom of the page where it lists off compatible gpus I believe, and I have also tried out bios from different models including HIS,VTX3D,and CLUB3D

It was listed as "Broken/for parts"for a reason. Why on Earth would you even think you can fix it? Do you have the proper circuit diagrams and test equipment for such a job? A hair dryer instead of a proper heat gun? That's guaranteed damage from excessive heat. All of your fumbling around in the dark most definitely didn't do anything to help the matter.

Sep 22, 2021
It was listed as "Broken/for parts"for a reason. Why on Earth would you even think you can fix it? Do you have the proper circuit diagrams and test equipment for such a job? A hair dryer instead of a proper heat gun? That's guaranteed damage from excessive heat. All of your fumbling around in the dark most definitely didn't do anything to help the matter.

im not gonna lie, yes I wasn’t prepared for this, this was mostly just to kill my boredom on my part and I didn’t think that far ahead. I thought I could fix its listing said that “the fans spin but no display” and I saw that quite often when looking around ebay at gpus listed as for parts so I thought it was a pretty common issue that I might’ve been able to fix.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
That there were a ton of cards like that on eBay was bad news, not good news. If it was a pretty common issue that was easy to fix, then there wouldn't be a ton of those cards being sold.

You'll see lots more cars with bad transmissions being sold for salvage than cars with flat tires even though flat tires are much more common than bad transmissions. Because a flat tire is far easy to resolve, there's no need to sell a car for parts just because there's a flat tire.

The reason you saw a lot of these cards on eBay is because resolving an issue like this is hard and unlikely to work, not because it's easy. If it was easy, they'd either fix the card themselves or be able to sell it at nearly the same price used as a working used card.

Status
Not open for further replies.