Question What exactly is causing my computer to shut down when I plug in my new keyboard?

prendergast

Honorable
Jan 7, 2018
Hey folks, hope you're all well today. I recently purchased a new Asena Wired Gaming Keyboard from my local supermarket and, as the title says, shortly after plugging it in my computer shuts down without warning. The keyboard does work/light up etc in the short time that the computer is active. I have tried it with other keyboards and have yet to experience any issue, so it must be some conflict with that keyboard in particular? Unfortunately, I don't have anything else to test the keyboard on. I have checked the event log and it doesn't contain any particularly helpful information, just that the computer shut down. Any help on finding the cause of and/or solving this issue would be much appreciated, and please let me know if I can provide further information.

What I've done so far:
  • Checked event log.
  • Checked for windows/BIOS updates.
  • Checked different keyboards.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
This keyboard?

https://www.crest.com.au/products/asena-gaming-wired-keyboard-mouse-combo

USB correct?

Check that the USB plug is not damaged or distorted in some manner. May be just a bit off that it first works and then due to vibration or heat causes a short. Especially if connected via the I/O panel.

Also take a look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, etc.. Similiar to Event Viewer but much more user friendly. The timeline format can be revealing as well.

Does the old/original keyboard cause any problems?

If only the new Asena keyboard causes the shutdowns then the keyboard is likely defective.

Reactions: prendergast
If it failed immediately, I would suspect a short in the usb connector or wiring.

Since it happens later, I suspect that some sort of keyboard software is being loaded that is causing the problem.

Try loading windows in safe mode. F8. That loads windows with only a minimum of drivers.

Me, I would return the keyboard as defective and move on.

Reactions: prendergast

prendergast

Honorable
Jan 7, 2018
Thanks for your replies guys, I really appreciate you getting back to me so soon.

This keyboard?

https://www.crest.com.au/products/asena-gaming-wired-keyboard-mouse-combo

USB correct?

Check that the USB plug is not damaged or distorted in some manner. May be just a bit off that it first works and then due to vibration or heat causes a short. Especially if connected via the I/O panel.

Also take a look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, etc.. Similiar to Event Viewer but much more user friendly. The timeline format can be revealing as well.

Does the old/original keyboard cause any problems?

If only the new Asena keyboard causes the shutdowns then the keyboard is likely defective.

USB indeed. I have tried every USB port on my PC with the same result. Might have a look to see if my USB hub doodad is still around here somewhere.

Reliability History doesn't seem to contain anything of note other than the time and date of the unexpected shutdown/windows was not properly shut down etc.

I have tried two other old keyboards with no issues.

Try other USB ports to rule bad port/bad connection.

How shortly? Seconds, minutes, almost instantly?

See above about the USBs.

It seems to be fine if I leave it plugged in and don't touch it, but as soon as I try to type anything it triggers the shut down.

If it failed immediately, I would suspect a short in the usb connector or wiring.

Since it happens later, I suspect that some sort of keyboard software is being loaded that is causing the problem.

Try loading windows in safe mode. F8. That loads windows with only a minimum of drivers.

Me, I would return the keyboard as defective and move on.

Yeah, the shut down doesn't seem to occur until I actually try to type using the keyboard. Interestingly, only some of the keys seem to work in the moments before the shutdown.

What would I do after loading windows in safe mode?

Unfortunately, I don't have a receipt or anything for it, but it's no big deal as it was a cheapo heavily discounted item (which may say something about the malfunctioning.) Then again, I don't really have money for anything more at the moment, so I'd really like to get this up and running if I can somehow.

Additional: I have restarted in safe mode and can confirm that the issue persists.

Last edited:
Safe mode runs with only essential drivers.
If the keyboard triggered some sort of a driver install, that could be the cause.
Sadly, I would discount that.

How much is your time worth chasing the issue?
I think I would just dump the keyboard and buy another.

prendergast

Honorable
Jan 7, 2018
Safe mode runs with only essential drivers.
If the keyboard triggered some sort of a driver install, that could be the cause.
Sadly, I would discount that.

How much is your time worth chasing the issue?
I think I would just dump the keyboard and buy another.
Oh, well. I do have a fair bit of time at the moment, and otherwise I'm stuck with my older keyboard, but that's okay. If there's some way to fix it I'd like to chase it up, even if just out of curiousity.
So this seems to be purely hardware problem, most likely with keyboard itself. The only thing you can do is try it on another machine and if it behaves similarly then it's surely bad keyboard.
Otherwise yeah, seems like the consensus is that the keyboard is just borked and I'll go get another one whenever I can get the money together.