Rig1..................................Rig2

Abit KT7A-Raid..................Abit KR7A 133R
1200-133 TB......................XP1800
256-133 SDRAM................2-256 2400 Corsair
IMB HDD...........................WD 1200jb
Live...................................Maya 7.1 gold
Gf2 Ultra............................Leadtek Gf4 4400
Fast Ethernet.....................3 Com

When I install WinXP onto these 2 computers I got different results.

With PCI cards in, before loading Windows.

Rig 1.
WinXP loaded the drivers for my video card. I don't know what version though, and gaming could be a little better. Not sure what it will take to get the same kind of results that I get with Win98, or if it is even possible.

Rig 2.
WinXP did not load any Nvidia drivers for my video card, or any sound drivers. When I install drivers I get into trouble. Because I was trying to dual boot with Win98, reinstalling WinXP a half dozen times, I might of had other problems then just drivers. A real hair pulling experience.

A perfect world would be the same results of Rig 1. with Rig 2. with a dual boot. Any ideas?

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?

delpart

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2002
First and foremost, when you have troubles like this it is much better to install XP with no PCI cards installed. Then one by one install the cards and load the drivers. XP doesn't always automatically load device drivers and if it does they are usually generic and not hardware specifec. If you do a dual boot, make sure that the Win98SE partition is FAT32 and not NTFS. That should take care of rig 2.
As for rig 1, again remove all PCI cards as for rig 1. Make sure you load the correct version of your video card's driver otherwise you may get poorer performance. For both machines, make sure you get signed drivers if any drivers you have installed are unsigned. Check at Windows Catalog at Microsoft's web site if there are signed drivers.

en Xristos

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
rig 1 has some thing screwy with the drivers, try without the live. rig two, install the drivers from nvidia, the ones that come with xp are poor performers.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Thanks guys, but Rig 1. is as stable as a rock and I didn't load a single driver. I only had it up for a couple days, but I haven't even notice a single hic up. Maybe updating the drivers might help some in gaming, but I doubt it. So far I have only tried one game.

Rig 2 is the one that gives me all kinds of trouble. I must have partition my drive, formatted it, also install WinXP with Fat 32, about 6 or more times. It's always the same story, no matter what driver I add to the video card it becomes unstable. I also tried it without PCI cards and it's the same thing. I have a signed 28 version driver, but I still have problems.

Right now I go to Launch to watch some videos and just as it's going to open the video it stops and my CPU usage's goes to 100 and stays there till I close the video out. Also, out of the blue, I lost my Internet connection, and had to reboot. I been moving my PCI cards around also am going to try a different 3 com card. Out side of that I been pulling my hair out for over 3 weeks trying to get WinXP stable. And I was amazed how easily it went and how stable it is one Rig 1.

I think WinXP can be stable as h*ll, not convinced it's a gamer yet, but know if your hardware doesn't agree with WinXP it can be very difficult to set up.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?