[SOLVED] What GPU Should I get?

Brownie_1g

Reputable
Aug 29, 2016
Hello, so I have had my pc for a while now and have made small changes here and there but something just isn't right. I get fps drops all the time and overall FPS just isn't where I want it to be, I do think that there may be something just flat out wrong with my pc.
My Pc specs are,
-Motherboard- Asrock H97M anniversary
-CPU- i7-4790 (non-k version)
-Ram- 12gb ddr3 ram
-GPU- Gtx 1060 3gb (mini version)
-Storage- 1tb hard drive, 4tb hard drive, and a 250gb ssd

I am mainly wondering what I should upgrade next, and if anyone could put there insight on if they think something is wrong with my pc or if the hardware is just not there,
Thank you

EDIT:

I also noticed when I put my CPU and MOBO into pc part picker it gives me a warning.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XksWtp

Solution
The ram is all the same I had got 4 sticks of 4gb from a friend but only 3 of them would work so I only put 3 in, also in games its not necessarily the overall fps that I get its just the fact that they drop very frequently and freeze but. My pc is just slow and laggy considering just building a new one but don't know what parts i could possibly salvage from this pc.

Taking out the extra stick that's not in dual channel would be a good place to start testing; you appear to have two in dual channel and one in single channel, which is an awkward situation.

What are the FPS drops to and for how long? And are they coming at particularly active scenes with a lot of things for the PC to do? Have you tried turning down settings? I'm...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The warning is that there's no included cooler with the CPU, something that you would have discovered the day you built this.

What are the FPS numbers you're getting, at what games, and at what resolutions and settings? I can judge data a lot easier than I can judge how you feel about your PC's performance. There are some possible problems in the specs -- the 1060 3 GB has not aged particularly well and you appear to have a frankenRAM situation (mismatched RAM not in pairs) -- but it's hard to say whether there's a problem at all.

Brownie_1g

Reputable
Aug 29, 2016
The warning is that there's no included cooler with the CPU, something that you would have discovered the day you built this.

What are the FPS numbers you're getting, at what games, and at what resolutions and settings? I can judge data a lot easier than I can judge how you feel about your PC's performance. There are some possible problems in the specs -- the 1060 3 GB has not aged particularly well and you appear to have a frankenRAM situation (mismatched RAM not in pairs) -- but it's hard to say whether there's a problem at all.
The ram is all the same I had got 4 sticks of 4gb from a friend but only 3 of them would work so I only put 3 in, also in games its not necessarily the overall fps that I get its just the fact that they drop very frequently and freeze but. My pc is just slow and laggy considering just building a new one but don't know what parts i could possibly salvage from this pc.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Taking out the extra stick that's not in dual channel would be a good place to start testing; you appear to have two in dual channel and one in single channel, which is an awkward situation.

What are the FPS drops to and for how long? And are they coming at particularly active scenes with a lot of things for the PC to do? Have you tried turning down settings? I'm grasping for some hard information here from you, because again, I can't say much if all there is to go on is your subjective impressions of your PC's performance.

Reactions: GarrettL
Solution

Mekin69

BANNED
Aug 31, 2019
The best thing on that pc is the cpu, everything else is dated. The cpu is too tbh but it's still a good depending on what you do or play. As for GPU I would get a used 1060 6gb or a new rtx 2060. The GTX 1660 Ti is also a good pick.