Question What happened to my fps?!

I_DoStufff

Commendable
Mar 28, 2020
I got a new pc about a year ago, every game was running good for like 8 months and then Minecraft (low spec block game) suddenly went from 300 fps to 30-60 fps, no matter what settings I use. I even got a fresh install of windows and it didn't work. I really need to find a fix because I play the game daily.

The reason I am posting this here is because no minecraft community forums found a fix.

Specs:
1050ti
i5 7400
8 gb ram

I_DoStufff

Commendable
Mar 28, 2020
Well, then something is very wrong with the GPU... 29 degrees is barely above room temperature. Even for Minecraft that is low.

What is the GPU frequency when you are playing games?
What app should I look at the frequency with? I tried installing dragon center but it takes so long to set up.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
MSI Afterburner is a common application, it will have brief charts. Most other monitoring tools, Hardware Monitor, HWInfo64 can be set to log the data.

Seems like the GPU is idling. That or you have plugged into the motherboard and are using the integrated CPU graphics chip or Windows has defaulted to that graphics chip for some reason.

I_DoStufff

Commendable
Mar 28, 2020
MSI Afterburner is a common application, it will have brief charts. Most other monitoring tools, Hardware Monitor, HWInfo64 can be set to log the data.

Seems like the GPU is idling. That or you have plugged into the motherboard and are using the integrated CPU graphics chip or Windows has defaulted to that graphics chip for some reason.
Used GPU-Z, it's at 1342 MHz
Tried afterburner it is at 999 MHz

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, that is odd. Would have expected a low number, but not one quite that high. Almost as if the card is starved for power.

Power supply in good shape?

If it is limited to a single game, then I would take a close look at GeForce Experience, if installed, and see if anything odd is happening to the game settings there. Also check Windows settings for any settings related to the game.

May 19, 2021
keep in mind, the problem is only in Minecraft and I haven't messed anything up. I even got a new installation
Hey I_Do_Stuff,

Since you've stated that the problem only occurs on Minecraft, could it be Java that's causing the issues?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but back when I used to play Minecraft (Talking 8+ years ago now) the version/type of Java used played a large role in determining your frame rate for the game.

Like I said, I've not played in so long so my information may be out of date but hopefully it at least gives you an avenue to look into :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

I_DoStufff

Commendable
Mar 28, 2020
Hey I_Do_Stuff,

Since you've stated that the problem only occurs on Minecraft, could it be Java that's causing the issues?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but back when I used to play Minecraft (Talking 8+ years ago now) the version/type of Java used played a large role in determining your frame rate for the game.

Like I said, I've not played in so long so my information may be out of date but hopefully it at least gives you an avenue to look into :)
It actually could be the issue.
I also downloaded MSI Afterburner, TechPowerUp GPU-Z and Dragon Center on the same day, I get "system halted" every 2nd boot, what's the fix?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts