[SOLVED] What happens when I use old SSDs and HDDs in a new PC build?

Sep 27, 2019
So I plan on building a new PC (first time) and I'd like to use my current SSD and HHD. What happens when I do so? Is it safe? Would I not have to install Windows 10? Do files get corrupted/stay like they are on my current PC? Or is the safest bet just to get new storage?

Solution
You will most likely have to do a clean OS install. The problem with an old Windows install on new hardware is the registry doesn't match the hardware. It might not boot, it might boot but blue screen, or it might boot and run for a month until you notice something isn't right. The only way to fix those situations is a clean OS install. Just ASSUME you have to do it and plan for it.

kanewolf

Titan
You will most likely have to do a clean OS install. The problem with an old Windows install on new hardware is the registry doesn't match the hardware. It might not boot, it might boot but blue screen, or it might boot and run for a month until you notice something isn't right. The only way to fix those situations is a clean OS install. Just ASSUME you have to do it and plan for it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS