[SOLVED] What if, 2 different windows installs on different HDDs?

Jul 28, 2020
Hi,
I did search on Internet that what if I install 2 different Windows version on two different HDDs. I couldn't find any relevant result tho.
I wanna install Windows 7 on my 1TB WD HDD and Windows 10 on WD 120GB SSD.
So , if I install Windows 7 first on HDD and then after it's installation I install 10 on SSD then will it be safe to boot up?
I mean if some thing goes wrong during Windows 10 installation so can I boot in Windows 7 after that?
That's my main question...

P.s : English isn't my first language. so don't bash me for it. :)

Solution
No.
Ignore the whole Win 7 thing.

Where did your Win 10 license come from?
Install Win 10, wiping out ALL existing partitions on that drive in the process. And do it with ONLY the one physical drive connected.

Win 7 has nothing to do with this, tweaks or no tweaks.

USAFRet

Titan
This is called a dualboot.
Yes, it is "safe".

The best way to do this is:
Install Win 7 on one drive, with only that one drive connected.
Power OFF, and disconnect that physical drive.
Connect the other one.
Power up, and install Win 10.

After, reconnect the Win 7 drive.

To choose what to boot from, you interrupt the boot process when starting the PC, and choose the relevant drive and its OS.

May I ask though...why the Win 7?

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Yes let me repeat with the mod said to put your mind at complete ease. There is what is called a Boot Manager when you install WIndows 10. So on Post you will or should have 2 options to log into the first Windows 10 install or the other Windows 10 install. You can automize this to automatically continue with whichvever WIndows 10 you want which you can find with msconfig in Windows and what not.✝🎗👶

Jul 28, 2020
May I ask though...why the Win 7?

What if I install windows 10 with out disconnecting another Drive (ie, SSD) would it cause any problems?

Actually, when I try to install windows 10 it shows me error related to MS License terms, that it couldn't find valid License terms. However, I've installed Windows 10 on same SSD using same installation CD drive twice. That's why.
I had even erased my whole SSD and created new partition but nothing worked.
When I boot UEFI then it shows that Media Driver is missing.
That's why.
I hope you would have understand. :p

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
If you have that other drive still connected, the Win 10 install will merge the boot partitions.
This WILL cause problems and confusion later.
You read my mind I was going to tell him that my guru. The worst thing to do is have two windows as they both rely on both drives. One drive goes bad your done with and can't boot up as I believe.👶🎗✝ For example you have a C drive and D drive but your boot manager situation is situated on the C drive and the D drive looks for that so if C goes down your done with and if D goes down your C is going to get confused and that is where you open up a can of worms. Can I ask why you want two WIndows 10 installs on your rig? Im very curious.🙈😗

Reactions: Ash_GameKiller?
Jul 28, 2020
Hmm...I'm getting MS valid license terms related error, which is literally weird.
I had installed Windows 10 using same installation CD drive twice on my PC.
But now it's showing that error. ⏫
So I've thought that if I install Windows 7 first and then tweak some settings of SSD drive then I'd be able to install windows 10 on it. And if I couldn't do that then I'll be using Windows 7.
I had cleaned my whole disk (SSD ) using disk part during installation (Shift +F10) but that also didn't work. :(
That's the reason. I tried to launch install via both UEFI and Legacy but both of em showed me error. ;(
Now I've installed Windows 7 on HDD. Will install 10 tomorrow.
:)

USAFRet

Titan
No.

Install Win 10, wiping out ALL existing partitions on that drive in the process. And do it with ONLY the one physical drive connected.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution
Jul 28, 2020
No.

Wdym by from where does it comes?
How would I wipe out whole existing partitions (SSD)?
I had done this before :
diskpart
List disk
Select disk 1
Clean
That's all!
It's empty! How would I wipe out all partitions?

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks bro! It worked! :)
Now, how would I remove Windows 7 from HDD? I wanna use Windows 10 as my default OS. I've not plugged my HDD sata cable yet.
The Win 10 was installed with ONLY that one drive connected?

The easiest way to wipe the other drive completely clean is via the commandline function diskpart, and the clean command.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/85819-erase-disk-using-diskpart-clean-command-windows-10-a.html

Asez23

Reputable
Oct 11, 2020
Hi,
I did search on Internet that what if I install 2 different Windows version on two different HDDs. I couldn't find any relevant result tho.
I wanna install Windows 7 on my 1TB WD HDD and Windows 10 on WD 120GB SSD.
So , if I install Windows 7 first on HDD and then after it's installation I install 10 on SSD then will it be safe to boot up?
I mean if some thing goes wrong during Windows 10 installation so can I boot in Windows 7 after that?
That's my main question...

P.s : English isn't my first language. so don't bash me for it. :)
depends on which is used to boot. If you are using windows 7 to boot and it fails, you will have to unplug the windows 7 drive and replace it with the windows 10 drive, and put the windows 7 in the place of the 10. why you would want to have windows 7 as a backup? i don't know.

Reactions: Ash_GameKiller?

Asez23

Reputable
Oct 11, 2020
depends on which is used to boot. If you are using windows 7 to boot and it fails, you will have to unplug the windows 7 drive and replace it with the windows 10 drive, and put the windows 7 in the place of the 10. why you would want to have windows 7 as a backup? i don't know.
i dont know what would happen if you had two working hard drives with different os's on them. You would have to set up a master/slave hard drive thing. i dont know how to do this but maybe someone does?