What if Steve Ballmer Left Microsoft Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluntObjection

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
"Still, there is this inherent feeling that Steve Ballmer cannot be identified with Microsoft. Microsoft is still identified with co-founder Bill Gates and despite the fact that Gates is rumored to have lost interest in Microsoft’s everyday business"

Hmm, I thought Steve Ballmer was co-founder while Gates was the founder...Anyone have clarification? Is co-founder being used as an ambiguous term?

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
[citation][nom]bluntobjection[/nom]"Still, there is this inherent feeling that Steve Ballmer cannot be identified with Microsoft. Microsoft is still identified with co-founder Bill Gates and despite the fact that Gates is rumored to have lost interest in Microsoft’s everyday business"Hmm, I thought Steve Ballmer was co-founder while Gates was the founder...Anyone have clarification? Is co-founder being used as an ambiguous term?[/citation]

I think you're think Paul Allen as the co-founder of Microsoft. Steve Ballmer joined MS after the founding.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
I vote Joe Pesci to replace Steve Ballmer. As George Carlin used to say about his friend, "He seems to be a guy who gets things done."

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]JofaMang[/nom]I do think that Ricky from The Trailer Park Boys is the only sensible successor to Steve Ballmer.[/citation]
Ricky would say this:
I would be the perfect processor to Ballmer!

Thumbs up to Ricky and his grd 10!

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I'm gonna remember Ballmer as the CEO who stood behind Vista as Microsoft's flagship OS. Steve Ballmer definitely drinks his own cool-aid. I don't see him as a problem for Microsoft (they seem to be quite profitable). I also don't think a company needs a big, visual CEO.

Quick, name the CEO of the following companies:
Wal-Mart
Exxon Mobil
Toyota
GE

Can't? Funny, those are some of the biggest companies in the entire world. If success is so closely tied to the popularity of the CEO, the CEOs of those companies should be touring the world as some sort of soft-rocking super-group solving mysteries and hanging 10 at the beach.

If Steve left today, they'd put someone else in his place, and that's pretty much it. With Bill still a major share holder (and Steve himself a major share holder), I really don't think the company would change direction at all.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]I'm gonna remember Ballmer as the CEO who stood behind Vista as Microsoft's flagship OS. Steve Ballmer definitely drinks his own cool-aid. I don't see him as a problem for Microsoft (they seem to be quite profitable). I also don't think a company needs a big, visual CEO.Quick, name the CEO of the following companies:Wal-MartExxon MobilToyotaGECan't? Funny, those are some of the buggest companies in the entire world. If success is so closely tied to the popularity of the CEO, the CEOs of those companies should be touring the world as some sort of soft-rocking super-group solving mysteries and hanging 10 at the beach.If Steve left today, they'd put someone else in his place, and that's pretty much it. With Bill still a major share holder (and Steve himself a major share holder), I really don't think the company would change direction at all.[/citation]
Indeed, maybe it is time for MS to become the faceless megacorporation it truly is.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Companies have Brand Identity. Telus has those animals, Apple has Jobs and white computers. Google has their logo page. MS has Windows. Not many people know a person behind the brands.

The people behind the brands only matter to other enterprises, not to the public. Jobs is only popular on IT sites cause we like to make fun of them, same with Balmer.

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Ballmer looks like someone who sells cars. His image is all wrong. To me the most sensible replacement is John Carmack.

He looks the part, kind of like a young Bill Gates. What he lacks in carisma, he makes up for in respect and understanding of the industry and programming.

IMO Microsoft needs Carmack's credibility and genius, and I think Apple would suddenly look very trade-show like in comparison, like Jobs is selling Sham-Wows or Oxyclean ...

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
[citation]hat are your thoughts?[/citation]
[citation][nom]MxM[/nom]Our hats are not thoughts.[/citation]
Well, it's better than "Cat ate your thoughts?", which would certainly have passed the spell checker too...

G

What if Steve Ballmer Left Microsoft Today?
MS would be left with one overpayed, screaming monkey less!
(They might finally sell Windows UNDER $200!) :D

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I'd like to make a clever fail joke about the kin ...

but that'd be not only ficitous on my feelings of how he's operated the company , but it'd also be such an obvious joke i'd feel like a failure for makign it.

i feel he's done a good job, the company has seen growth and been profitable, there have been some risks taken that have panned out like bing, and some that have failed like the kin, however overall he's done a good job and is who i identify with microsoft for now. now when i think of microsoft as a whole yea its gates because thats where the drive that made microsoft the buisness it is today came from. but balmer has helmed the ship well in his time as well

as for the next person to run the company... where do i send my application ;)

G

ProDigit80:
MS would be left with one overpayed, screaming monkey less!
(They might finally sell Windows UNDER $200!) :D
Most versions of Windows are under $200...

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]vic20[/nom]Ballmer looks like someone who sells cars. His image is all wrong. To me the most sensible replacement is John Carmack.He looks the part, kind of like a young Bill Gates. What he lacks in carisma, he makes up for in respect and understanding of the industry and programming. IMO Microsoft needs Carmack's credibility and genius, and I think Apple would suddenly look very trade-show like in comparison, like Jobs is selling Sham-Wows or Oxyclean ...[/citation]
Too bad Carmack is an Apple fan, or at the very least an OS X/iPhone fan. Either way, it's a big leap from game programmer/designer to CEO of a giant corporation.

Status
Not open for further replies.