What is a "Name Brand" laptop?

Thanks for sharing that website. I was discussing that very subject
last night with someone and wondering if it was so. Well I guess the
article clears up "that" mystery. So when it comes down to it, it looks
like the safest way to go would be to buy locally and make sure we get
good service. If Dell sold and serviced in our area, I would have no
qualms about purchasing Dell but after what I have learned about
computer problems, I don't want to have to hassle with "any" company
out of state or out of the country over computer problems.

Bea

Um, what is a name-brand ANYTHING? All of the name-brand computer companies
like to portray themselves as manufacturers of computers. The reality is that
the assembly of computers (notebooks, desktops, servers, printers) is done by a
contract electronics manufacturer (CEM), and the name-brands strive for a
zero-inventory business model. Hence the CEM assembles a Dell PC, puts it in a
box, pastes the shipping label on the box, and it goes direct from the CEM to
you with a stop in Nashville or Louisville to remove your computer from a
pallet-load and direct it to the flight which brings it straight to you.

Many CEMs, in addition to computer assembly, have taken on overall design
responsibility with consultation from the name-brand companies. The
consultation, by and large, consists of determining what sort of chassis goes on
the computer and how the BIOS is customized to have a Dell (or IBM, or HP, or
Gateway) look-and-feel.

So your Dell box may actually be a Foxconn, Flextronics, or Solectron box.

The computer industry eventually began to follow the automotive industry
manufacturing model, which depends pretty heavily on smaller manufacturers of
brake shoes, door handles, tires, wheels, etc etc etc. The computer industry
has now very much surpassed the auto industry by turning computers into
commodities. If the auto industry followed the evolved computer industry
manuafcturing model, we'd have much less expensive cars to drive, too. However,
the exterior and interior decor of an auto is one of the more expensive elements
to manufacture, as compared to computers where the skins are only so much sheet
metal and extruded cheap plastic. The auto industry continues to succeed in
hyping certain name brands as having higher quality and a classy image. With
computers, only the niche computers used for high end gaming (e.g. Alienware)
and heavy-duty "workstations" command high prices... Ben Myers

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 08:46:50 -0500, Jim Higgins wrote:

> http://www.powernotebooks.com/articles/index.php?action=fullnews&id=17

I've bought laptops from PNB for the last 5 years, they have always
supported them and been very professional. They were the only vendor that
I've ever sent a check to in order to pay.

I bought a 568 series from them for $2700 a long time ago - it was the
same as the Inspiron 5000E that Dell wanted more than $3500 for at the
same time. Even Dell parts worked in it.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Compal made the original XPS for Dell, and I believe is making the
second-generation one as well.

Most 17" notebooks are made by Compal, including the 17" Toshiba and
Apple PowerBook notebooks.

Joan Hansen wrote:
> Thanks Jim, very interesting. Still don't know who made my XPS Laptop.
>
> Jim Higgins wrote:
>
>> http://www.powernotebooks.com/articles/index.php?action=fullnews&id=17
>>
>> --
>> ...guarded by a tired Cohort of Roman Heavy Infantry"

Nice, but the players change all the time. Wistron is a major
manufacturer of ThinkPads now, and makes some of Dell's ultrasmall
notebooks.

Quanta and Compal make most of the other Dells, though Samsung has made
a few as well.

Quanta-built Dells: most of the C-series (4000/4100/4150/8000/8100/8200
and Latitude equivalents), the D600/600m, and many others.

Compal-built Dells: 5000, 7000, 7500, 2600, 2650, 11xx, 51xx, 8500,
8600, XPS.

I recall seeing Compal beat out Quanta for many of the newer Dells
recently - they are the OEM for the D610 and many others now.

Quanta and Compal are also among the largest manufacturers of mobile
phones in the world - Compal supplies Motorola with most of its phones,
and HP with its calculators.