Question What is causing this problem with my graphics?

Jan 4, 2023
The grass looks very noisy when it's moving and there's a white silhouette around my character when there's grass in the background in Elden Ring.

My specs are:
CPU: RYZEN 5 3600
CPU cooler: cooler master T20
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M H (F60)
Ram: kllisre 1x8 GB DDR4-3200 MHz
SSD/HDD: 500GB NVME + 1TB HDD
GPU: AMD RX 6600
PSU: GAMEMAX 500W 80+ BRONZE (I had it for 2 years but only used it for 1 year)
Chassis: mid case from an unknown brand
Monitor: AL1916W 1440x900

I have a 1440x900 monitor that doesn't support HDMI so I have to use VGA to HMDI adapter, could that also cause the problem?
edit: I'm sorry for the missing information I'm not used to posting.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Your specs are incomplete. Please pass on the specs to your system like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from the make and model of the unit. BIOS for your motherboard at this moment of time?

You could also state which games you're seeing the issue crop up in.

Jan 4, 2023
Your specs are incomplete. Please pass on the specs to your system like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from the make and model of the unit. BIOS for your motherboard at this moment of time?

You could also state which games you're seeing the issue crop up in.
I've updated the post

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I have a 1440x900 monitor that doesn't support HDMI so I have to use VGA to HMDI adapter, could that also cause the problem?

Very much so. Particularly on fine details like grass.

I think it is time to get yourself a cheap 1080p monitor with native HDMI and DisplayPort.

Certainly more effective than getting a better adapter, particularly since you now have a more than capable GPU for 1080p.

Reactions: smatacom

Lutfij

Titan
PSU: 500W (I had it for 2 years but only used it for 1 year)
500W is the advertised wattage of the unit, this doesn't tell us the make and model of the unit.

Ram: 1x8 RAM
You didn't mention the make and model of the ram. In fact, one stick is hurting the performance of your rig overall. If it's not running at DDR4-3200MHz, then you're loosing more performance.

Reactions: smatacom and Eximo
PSU: GAMEMAX 500W 80+ BRONZE (I had it for 2 years but only used it for 1 year)

Although this may not be directly related to your current issue, but STOP using this Gamemax PSU brand. It's a poor quality PSU, only meant to mostly power cheap igpu systems, not for powerful discrete GPUs.

Most of the Gamemax PSUs land up in either Tier C or D, but basically you can't trust on the quality of Gamemax PSUs. So it's better to change this PSU, before it's too late.

PSU is the MOST important component. So never skimp on the power supply. Also, always go for a dual-channel memory kit if possible. I don't see any white silhouette around the character though.

Also, most importantly, is this an ELDEN RING game specific issue, or even other PC games exhibit this same behavior ? If it is Elden Ring, then most likely it's the game's engine, or some graphics setting causing this issue.

Jan 4, 2023
Also, most importantly, is this an ELDEN RING game specific issue, or even other PC games exhibit this same behavior ? If it is Elden Ring, then most likely it's the game's engine, or some graphics setting causing this issue.
I have encountered issues across different games but not all of them share the same problem it's always a different thing like flickering shadows, pixelated screen space reflections on reflective surfaces i.e water (resident evil 2 remake)
also you have to look closely around the character head to notice the silhouette

TRENDING THREADS