[SOLVED] What is the AMD equivalent to i7-7700k?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
you are not even stressing the cpu to get these temperatures , the cooler is self is too weak but not that weak , I suspect its has some sort of manufacturing defect , or you have the cpu fan placed in an incorrect position may be facing your case exhaust fan

Reactions: RodroX
To answer your question, the best value CPU these days is the Ryzen 5 3600 (2600 is $80 cheaper but might give worse gaming performance than 7700k) which is around $190-200...

I think that should be 'best value for GAMING'... in that GAMING ONLY, so not running side-apps simultaneously. If you like to keep your browser with a bunch of tabs open and run a Discord session and stream and etc. it becomes increasingly important to give it more cores, that's when a 3700X becomes 'best value'.

And even then I'm not quite so sure a 3600 is the BEST value: this 1600-AF processor at only $85 sounds incredible. While marked 1600 it's based on a 2600 CPU die so you get a lot of performance for that price and still 6 cores/12 threads.

Jan 23, 2020
That's not big enough.
It's not big enough just for running stock? I'm running a stock intel cooler on an i7-4790 in one of my rigs (which is mini-itx) without any problems. Obviously the 7700k puts out more heat than a 4790 (non-k), either way I think the heatsink I linked is way better than what he's working with now at least.

I could be wrong to recommend that in particular, just trying to say that a decent heatsink is likely the best answer to his problem

Jan 23, 2020
I think that should be 'best value for GAMING'... in that GAMING ONLY, so not running side-apps simultaneously. If you like to keep your browser with a bunch of tabs open and run a Discord session and stream and etc. it becomes increasingly important to give it more cores, that's when a 3700X becomes 'best value'.

And even then I'm not quite so sure a 3600 is the BEST value: this 1600-AF processor at only $85 sounds incredible. While marked 1600 it's based on a 2600 CPU die so you get a lot of performance for that price and still 6 cores/12 threads.
He said "equivalent to 7700k" so I'm assuming it's for gaming, also I'd venture to guess that by far the most common use case for custom PC's is gaming. That CPU you linked looks great, and is definitely better performance/$ than the 3600 but ryzen 1xxx and 2xxx deliver worse single thread performance (and clocks) than the 7700k making them worse for most games, which would be a bit of a disappointment considering it's an upgrade.

Also IMO 12 cores is more than enough for most people, even streamers. Just 2-3 years ago nearly every "power-user" was using an 8 core i7 and they did just fine. There's definitely real uses for high core counts but for gamers or streamers I kinda doubt it.

Last edited:
It's not big enough just for running stock? I'm running a stock intel cooler on an i7-4790 in one of my rigs (which is mini-itx) without any problems. Obviously the 7700k puts out more heat than a 4790 (non-k), either way I think the heatsink I linked is way better than what he's working with now at least.

I could be wrong to recommend that in particular, just trying to say that a decent heatsink is likely the best answer to his problem
The hyper 212 in it's day was great, and still is. The 4790 is a 88W processor that intel doesn't specify a different thermal solution for, the 7700k is a 91W processor that intel specifies a 130W cooler for. The 4790 might use a lot less power than a 7700k,

Added in what we now understand to be an ambient (outside of case) of 38C, so inside case will be a lot higher, you'll need very high end cooling, especially as it'll try and boost as much as it can before hitting thermal limits.

Jan 23, 2020
Do you have ambient room temperature 30-40C ? Probably not.
No.

I'm not suggesting that he uses a stock cooler, just saying that I think the hyper 212 should work on a stock 7700k, high ambient temps or not. IMO a badass CPU cooler is one of the worse value components, spending $60-80 on a cooler when you just want to run stock seems kind of silly. I think that $30 heatsink and an undervolt would do just fine for OP.

Jan 23, 2020
The hyper 212 in it's day was great, and still is. The 4790 is a 88W processor that intel doesn't specify a different thermal solution for, the 7700k is a 91W processor that intel specifies a 130W cooler for. The 4790 might use a lot less power than a 7700k,

Added in what we now understand to be an ambient (outside of case) of 38C, so inside case will be a lot higher, you'll need very high end cooling, especially as it'll try and boost as much as it can before hitting thermal limits.
I'm not too knowledgable about the best CPU coolers these days, can you recommend him something?

The big cryorig's are great, they're 180W, 250W+ depending on how big you go. but that'll give some headroom.

I'd also be really concerned about the PSU as these are mostly tested at 40C (for the good units) and 50C for the really good units), that case is probably 50-55C internally, so unless it's oversized by quite a bit it'll be on the edge.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
7426_30_cryorig-m9i-cpu-cooler-review.png

Going off this, it should still be 78.5 under load, and thats overclocked as well, which mine is not. So idk what it is.
The numbers from this chart were most likely from an open test bench, which would be best possible conditions. Inside a case is a different story.
The answer is really clear in my opinion, that;s a 120W cooler according to Cryorig (that'll be generous I expect). the CPU is a 130W cpu from a cooling standpoint according to intel, and that's just to let it boost properly.
http://www.cryorig.com/m9.php
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-7700k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html

I believe that the cooler is massively undersized, go for something that is 180W+ and you'll be fine.
Per Cryorig's website the M9i is a 120w cooler. 13thmonkey has a point here. A higher wattage cooler should stabilize your temps. FYI the M9 Plus is only rated 10w more than your current cooler. Something like the Deep Cool Assassin III has a 280w TDP, overkill but would do the job. The Arctic Freezer 34 is half the cost of the Deep Cool and has a 210w TDP. It would be more cost effective to just replace your cooler. I am also not a fan of pre-applied paste or the tiny tubes that come with coolers, I would go ahead and buy a tube of good thermal paste (better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it). But if you wanted to go AMD then the 3600x would be equivalent if not better. Then you have to dive into a new mobo, and compatibility with your other hardware.

..That CPU you linked looks great, and is definitely better performance/$ than the 3600...

And that's what makes it such a great value :) in these discussions, people often lose track of the point of what value is, and it is not the blind pursuit of absolute performance.

And while it may not have as good of a performance vs. 3600 considering it's Zen+ heritage it's also much more amenable to heavy all-core overclocking to close that gap. And also, once you start fragging away at 1440p it will probably be quite good enough because that's where the GPU has become the bottleneck anyway. There's so much more than just simple absolute, raw performance to consider.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020
And that's what makes it such a great value :) in these discussions, people often lose track of the point of what value is, and it is not the blind pursuit of absolute performance.

And while it may not have as good of a performance vs. 3600 considering it's Zen+ heritage it's also much more amenable to heavy all-core overclocking to close that gap. And also, once you start fragging away at 1440p it will probably be quite good enough because that's where the GPU has become the bottleneck anyway. There's so much more than just simple absolute, raw performance to consider.
He's coming from a 7700k and asked for the performance equivalent, most zen+ processors will give worse gaming performance, also we've established that he can't do any overclocking (he's having trouble keeping a stock processor running stable). If it was his first build it would be OK but again it would actually be spending a bit of money for worse performance.

JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017
Sorry but I have no idea who I’m replying to anymore but I once again went and bought some brand new thermal paste, took off the old one with alcohol, took off the cooler/heatsink and the bracket holding it and re-did everything, put on the new thermal paste and did everything new again, still doesn’t work, then I went into bios and checked the voltage, like 1.16v which is less than what other users reported their i7-7700k at, then I maxed the fan speeds, that dropped idle temps from 66 to 53, but still rainbow six siege benchmark got me at 100 degrees, tried changing the fan around so it blows into the CPU to cool it down rather than take air away. Still didn’t work.

anyone got any other suggestions?

JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017
The numbers from this chart were most likely from an open test bench, which would be best possible conditions. Inside a case is a different story.

Per Cryorig's website the M9i is a 120w cooler. 13thmonkey has a point here. A higher wattage cooler should stabilize your temps. FYI the M9 Plus is only rated 10w more than your current cooler. Something like the Deep Cool Assassin III has a 280w TDP, overkill but would do the job. The Arctic Freezer 34 is half the cost of the Deep Cool and has a 210w TDP. It would be more cost effective to just replace your cooler. I am also not a fan of pre-applied paste or the tiny tubes that come with coolers, I would go ahead and buy a tube of good thermal paste (better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it). But if you wanted to go AMD then the 3600x would be equivalent if not better. Then you have to dive into a new mobo, and compatibility with your other hardware.
vHwbKQ4.png

So you’re saying any of these would be fine? I feel like it may be a cooler issue

when I put the cooler back on and tested for 20 mins and then took it off again, I saw that the majority of the CPU was covered in thermal paste but the cooler was not, it was missing a bit of it (not mirrored with the cpu) so maybe that’s something to look into. Pc part picker also says it might be the case. https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/deadboom/saved/#view=CH6Xbv (in the “notes” bit)

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
vHwbKQ4.png

So you’re saying any of these would be fine? I feel like it may be a cooler issue

when I put the cooler back on and tested for 20 mins and then took it off again, I saw that the majority of the CPU was covered in thermal paste but the cooler was not, it was missing a bit of it (not mirrored with the cpu) so maybe that’s something to look into. Pc part picker also says it might be the case. https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/deadboom/saved/#view=CH6Xbv (in the “notes” bit)
Yes any of these would be fine. Though I would shy away from the two at the bottom of the list. The key here is to get a cooler with a higher TDP ratting so pick your poison. As with your thermal paste it takes time for it to solidify and for the fluids that allow it to flow out of the tube to dissapate. It will take a day or two of ongoing use for the paste to become more viscus and less liquid. It is common for temps to fall down 2-3 degrees after a few days once the paste has become more solid.

We shall see. But yeah, I have a 600w power supply (here is my part list) , will it matter what Wattage cooler i get?
It will only matter because of your high ambient temps. So get the highest watt cooler you can afford. In the case of cooler wattage, its how much the cooler can dissipate. Not how much is actually drawn, so psu has no bearing on cooler wattage, if that was a worry. Since you do have such high ambient temps, the cooler that would probably be fine for me, may not be enough for you.

On that list of artic freezer coolers, I dont understand the large price difference. Other than the bottom couple with single fans, it appears the only difference is in fan color. Even the part numbers listed are only one or two digits off. I'd get one of the 80s in the color of choice. As I really see no reason that cooler should be anywhere near 150.

Reactions: JayTee3

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's easy. The Duo carries 2x fans, the plain 34 just one. The duo and middling coolers also use higher performance fans. On top of that is price hikes for color demands, red costing more than white as red is in higher demand. To top off the possibilities is the store itself. Not every store carries every cooler, so you'd be looking at 3-4 different vendors, some sell for more, some less, and thats not including any sales on certain models and premium prices on others. The bottom 2x are an older design, so probably overstock and on clearance, the Duo is brand new so fetches a premium.

The xfx 550w TS was often found at newegg for $25. At Amazon it was more often $50, or on sale for $40.

Can't always judge based on price alone, you'll need comparisons.

I agree with 13thmonkey that it is a mix of everything combined.

But your Vcore is alittle high also since you are running it at stock speeds. More Vcore = More heat.

But is seems like none here has mention it so I will (unless I overlooked it) and that is that the 7700K is a hot CPU. I have it and it was kinda broken.
I had to delid it and swap the TIM betweem the CPU die and IHS.

My room temp here I am sitting now is 21 celcius and the CPU is at 26 - 29 celcius at idle.
Full trottle stress test I reach a maximum at 51 celcius with the CPU at 5.1 GHz with a Vcore @ 1.328

Keep in mind that I am on a full custom water loop with a 480 rad dedicated alone to the CPU alone. (I want silence) so its a totally overkill cooling solution.

So you running at them temps I agree with 13thmonkey that is a sum of things that pushes you to them temps.

A cooler like the Cryrig H5 ULTIMATE is more than enough (did not check if your case can fit it tho)
But that is a 160watts cooler and since you are running at stock speeds that one is MORE than enough for you.
For thermal paste I would recommend Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017
That's easy. The Duo carries 2x fans, the plain 34 just one. The duo and middling coolers also use higher performance fans. On top of that is price hikes for color demands, red costing more than white as red is in higher demand. To top off the possibilities is the store itself. Not every store carries every cooler, so you'd be looking at 3-4 different vendors, some sell for more, some less, and thats not including any sales on certain models and premium prices on others. The bottom 2x are an older design, so probably overstock and on clearance, the Duo is brand new so fetches a premium.

The xfx 550w TS was often found at newegg for $25. At Amazon it was more often $50, or on sale for $40.

Can't always judge based on price alone, you'll need comparisons.

Yeah I guess I'll open a new thread asking for that.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...msi-z270-sli-atx-lga1151-motherboard.3568657/

Since this thread is about the AMD equivalent, not about the cooler.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Equivalent is a rhetorical question though, very biased depending on your point of view. Ryzens and Intels are so different that you need to be specific. Is it single core speeds, multi core speeds, fps output, core count or other, because they are only similar in any one area at a time.