[SOLVED] What is the best socket s1 cpu for around $15?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Basically what the title is, my budget isn’t really high because this is for an old laptop that I won’t use much, so there’s no point spending $50 on a laptop that I won’t use for like gaming etc. but I will exceed to $20 if I have to, but if anyone could find a cpu that would be compatible with socket s1 and ddr2-667 ram that would be great.

laptop specs -
Toshiba satellite l500d
Cpu - AMD sempron si-42
GPU - AMD ati Radeon 3100
ram - 2gb ddr2-667
320gb hard drive 2””

Solution
Your socket is S1G2 and although its long time ago i used to upgrade few of this socket cpu:s and there was no problem with the bios, all of these should work http://www.cpu-world.com/Related_CPUs/Socket S1 _S1g2__K8.html

Only issue was thermal problems (25w => 35w tdp) but you should be fine with quality thermal paste like, i personally always use thermal grizzly kryonaut, you can save the leftovers its really good paste, clean old one with 90%+ isoprophlyl alcohol until its shiny and then apply new paste.

Athlon supports ddr2-667 and turion processors (and your chipset) supports up to ddr2-800 so if you think about upgrading ram buy used ddr2-800 2x2gb set. For cpu i would go for turion zm series, even those are cheap as...

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Is your ram stick 800 or 667mhz? Theres no point wasting money for so marginal performance cause this laptop is not used for gaming. If it is 800mhz then go ahead , but if its 667mhz just buy 1x2gb.

When you buy CPU and RAM from aliexpress or similar sites check that there is many legit looking reviews with pics about the product arrived and working in theyre system.

About SSD i would not buy just some crappy one , that is the only thing i would invest in. I have used my samsung 850 evo 120gb in 3 systems now, 2 laptops and a desktop and its working very well, im getting nice speeds on any system, its not waste of money even if you use it 5-8 years later. It will work in any laptop or desktop you ever buy after this.
The ram is 667mhz
And for the ssd, I don’t want to spend to much, but as you said that is something I should in invest in the most
Would this be a good choice for the price or is this a crappy one
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...08#5965#597_668#888#3325#10_668#2717#7567#916
I’m going for the 64gb one

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Maybe think about the SSD for now and just get the ram and cpu. And see how that goes first. Beware shipping times can be up to 2 months from china with free option.
Would it be a good ssd or is it crap?
I’m not really planning on using it to much so what would give me the most performance? 4gb of ddr2 667mhz memory, or the ssd that I showed you?

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Can you confirm what ram is it exactly, download and open cpu-z with administrative rights, go to memory tab , what is the dram frequency in memory TAB

Dont buy the ssd you linked that has zero reviews, go for the one i linked if you really want to buy it.

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Can you confirm what ram is it exactly, download and open cpu-z with administrative rights, go to memory tab , what is the dram frequency in memory TAB

Dont buy the ssd you linked that has zero reviews, go for the one i linked if you really want to buy it.
I got cpu-z and on the memory tab it says dram frequency is 335.8MHz
And I was going to buy the ssd you linked anyway

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
ddr = double data rate means its 335mhz x 2 = 667mhz. I would still get the ram too its the cheapest thing on the list.
Just search for 1x 2gb ddr2 667mhz sodimm it can be used, you should find a deal for about 5$ max, like this : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/326...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

You will be in dual channel mode when you have 2 sticks dont worry about it.

Oh god i love that generic sticker just saying its ram, these guys didnt even bother with somekind of manufactor :LOL:
Reviews looks legit and 3.3 dollars with free shipping you cant really go wrong lol, just buy it. Dont worry if it is 800mhz stick since it will just downclock to 667mhz automatically.

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
You will be in dual channel mode when you have 2 sticks dont worry about it.

Oh god i love that generic sticker just saying its ram, these guys didnt even bother with somekind of manufactor :LOL:
Reviews looks legit and 3.3 dollars with free shipping you cant really go wrong lol, just buy it. Dont worry if it is 800mhz stick since it will just downclock to 667mhz automatically.
Ok, thanks sooooo much for your help, and just one more thing, I don’t know if it shows up because of different countries, but for aliexpress do you have a coupon that gives you a certain amount of money off if you spend a certain amount of money.
I’m in Australia so I know it’s going to be different but for me it says new user coupon $4.81 orders over au $6.42 and it lasts from 1st of April till 1st of March, do you have this. And if so, I know it would be a bit sneaky but could you just Make new account and save little bits of money?

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
sorry dont have coupon. One thing i forgot to mention is thermals can ramp up pretty high with zm87, i actually remember this is the exact cpu i have used since i never found good deals for zm88. Do you have thermal paste already?
No, only just recently got into taking apart laptops, do have have a recommendation on what I should use. Do you know good quality thermal paste for around $10?

Thermal grizzly kryonaut is what i use when i overclock cpu:s its very good, almost as good as liquid metal.
With liquid metal you can get max like 5 celsius less but it takes way more time and if your not careful can kill your motherboard.
Best non conductive is thermal grizzly kryonaut : https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/guru3d_thermal_paste_roundup_2019,12.html

But all these pastes are in like 10 celsius margin, if you are going to take more laptops apart in the future and upgrading the cpu:s i would suggest atleast Noctua nt-h1, but thermal grizzly kryonaut shouldnt be much more expensive. I wouldnt buy it off aliexpress they probably have alot of fake thermal pastes going on over there.

Just use isoprophyl alcohol 90%+ with q-tips or similar to clean the cpu / gpu die:s and heatsink carefully before applying new paste, it should dry very fast if its atleast 90% alchol and leaves no residue and is not conductive.

Also dont forget to clean dust from fans and heatsinks, fans can be taken apart for better cleaning if needed there is very small screws if you look carefully.

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Just use isoprophyl alcohol 90%+ with q-tips or similar to clean the cpu / gpu die:s and heatsink carefully before applying new paste, it should dry very fast if its atleast 90% alchol and leaves no residue and is not conductive.

Also dont forget to clean dust from fans and heatsinks, fans can be taken apart for better cleaning if needed there is very small screws if you look carefully.
I know it sound bad, but could you get a Qtip and dab it in water and dry it of a bit so the cpu doesn’t get wet and then clean it off, or will that damage the cpu? Just cause my budget isn’t very high

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Thermal grizzly kryonaut is what i use when i overclock cpu:s its very good, almost as good as liquid metal.
With liquid metal you can get max like 5 celsius less but it takes way more time and if your not careful can kill your motherboard.
Best non conductive is thermal grizzly kryonaut : https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/guru3d_thermal_paste_roundup_2019,12.html

But all these pastes are in like 10 celsius margin, if you are going to take more laptops apart in the future and upgrading the cpu:s i would suggest atleast Noctua nt-h1, but thermal grizzly kryonaut shouldnt be much more expensive. I wouldnt buy it off aliexpress they probably have alot of fake thermal pastes going on over there.
https://www.umart.com.au/Cooler-Master-Ice-Value-thermal-grease_18639G.html
Would this be a good thermal paste? I’m not planning on playing intense games, just average games web browsing etc

No water, do you have access to nail polish remover thats acetone usually and its fine if you use it very little it will melt plastic but is fine on the CPU die and heatsink. Just dont spill it anywhere, very carefully dip into q-tip or wipe and clean so that you wont get it in touch with anything other than heatsink or the cpu die.

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
No water, do you have access to nail polish remover thats acetone usually and its fine if you use it very little it will melt plastic but is fine on the CPU die and heatsink. Just dont spill it anywhere, very carefully dip into q-tip or wipe and clean so that you wont get it in touch with anything other than heatsink or the cpu die.
Ok, and Do you think that thermal paste decent enough to do the job?

Pls dont use water, just rubbing alcohol , isoprophyl alcohol atleast 85% or acetone ( nail polish remover) if you use nail polish remover be very careful with it. Clean until it looks shiny on the heatsink and cpu die ( dont scratch the cpu die just gently clean) then look video on youtube how to apply thermal paste. Good luck .

Im still little worried about the SSD though, about how long thats gonna last.

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Pls dont use water, just rubbing alcohol , isoprophyl alcohol atleast 85% or acetone ( nail polish remover) if you use nail polish remover be very careful with it. Clean until it looks shiny on the heatsink and cpu die ( dont scratch the cpu die just gently clean) then look video on youtube how to apply thermal paste. Good luck .

Im still little worried about the SSD though, about how long thats gonna last.
All good, I won’t use water, and I’m not to concerned about the ssd, I don’t plan to use it to much and for to long, just wanna make this laptop fast enough so I can use it without so much lag

TRENDING THREADS