[SOLVED] What is the best socket s1 cpu for around $15?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Basically what the title is, my budget isn’t really high because this is for an old laptop that I won’t use much, so there’s no point spending $50 on a laptop that I won’t use for like gaming etc. but I will exceed to $20 if I have to, but if anyone could find a cpu that would be compatible with socket s1 and ddr2-667 ram that would be great.

laptop specs -
Toshiba satellite l500d
Cpu - AMD sempron si-42
GPU - AMD ati Radeon 3100
ram - 2gb ddr2-667
320gb hard drive 2””

Solution
Your socket is S1G2 and although its long time ago i used to upgrade few of this socket cpu:s and there was no problem with the bios, all of these should work http://www.cpu-world.com/Related_CPUs/Socket S1 _S1g2__K8.html

Only issue was thermal problems (25w => 35w tdp) but you should be fine with quality thermal paste like, i personally always use thermal grizzly kryonaut, you can save the leftovers its really good paste, clean old one with 90%+ isoprophlyl alcohol until its shiny and then apply new paste.

Athlon supports ddr2-667 and turion processors (and your chipset) supports up to ddr2-800 so if you think about upgrading ram buy used ddr2-800 2x2gb set. For cpu i would go for turion zm series, even those are cheap as...