[SOLVED] What is the best way to partition my hard drive?

Aug 3, 2021
Hello, so I just clean installed windows 10 on my pc and I wanna partition it. My hard drive is 300GB. I know how to do it, but I am confused about in what way I must partition It: 1) a C: drive for system files and programs and a D: drive for personal files, or 2) C: drive for system files, D: drive for programs, and E: drive for personal files? Which of the ways is the best way?

Solution
Hello, so I just clean installed windows 10 on my pc and I wanna partition it.
My hard drive is 300GB. I know how to do it, but I am confused about in what way I must partition It:
  1. a C: drive for system files and programs and a D: drive for personal files, or
  2. C: drive for system files, D: drive for programs, and E: drive for personal files?
Usually it's option #1.
There's no point in putting programs in a different partition. If OS gets damaged and you have to reinstall, then programs need to be reinstalled too.

But your HDD is very small. May not be worth to create multiple partitions at all.
Show screenshot from Disk Management (upoad to imgur.com and post link).

For optimal space assignment you'd need to know...

SoumithCS

Reputable
Oct 6, 2020
You could had partitioned it while installation because most of the third-party software are Paid Only. I have used Paragon Hard Disk manager to Partition my HDDs. It has simple interface and provide enough tools for trial version.
Paragon Hard disk Manager. Scroll down and create a account and download the App

Aug 3, 2021
You could had partitioned it while installation because most of the third-party software are Paid Only. I have used Paragon Hard Disk manager to Partition my HDDs. It has simple interface and provide enough tools for trial version.
Paragon Hard disk Manager
I can partition it using disk management in windows 10 by shrinking the volume of the C: drive. While installation, it didn't let me create new drives for some reason.

Hello, so I just clean installed windows 10 on my pc and I wanna partition it. My hard drive is 300GB. I know how to do it, but I am confused about in what way I must partition It: 1) a C: drive for system files and programs and a D: drive for personal files, or 2) C: drive for system files, D: drive for programs, and E: drive for personal files? Which of the ways is the best way?
It's kind of a personal choice.
Consider just one partition and then creating folders for Your Stuff.
If you chop up the disk into pieces you might find some time in the future that one of the pieces is too small.

Hello, so I just clean installed windows 10 on my pc and I wanna partition it.
My hard drive is 300GB. I know how to do it, but I am confused about in what way I must partition It:
  1. a C: drive for system files and programs and a D: drive for personal files, or
  2. C: drive for system files, D: drive for programs, and E: drive for personal files?
Usually it's option #1.
There's no point in putting programs in a different partition. If OS gets damaged and you have to reinstall, then programs need to be reinstalled too.

But your HDD is very small. May not be worth to create multiple partitions at all.
Show screenshot from Disk Management (upoad to imgur.com and post link).

For optimal space assignment you'd need to know, how much space OS + programs will need and how much space personal files will need.
It's rather hard to predict that.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
With a 300GB drive, leave it as one.

What other storage devices are in this system?

Aug 3, 2021
I actually want to partition my drive because If I ever had to format and reinstall my windows, I would still have a drive in which I can store my needed data instead of backing it up online or on another pc. So, do I really need to do it?

USAFRet

Titan
I actually want to partition my drive because If I ever had to format and reinstall my windows, I would still have a drive in which I can store my needed data instead of backing it up online or on another pc. So, do I really need to do it?
You need to back up your data on some other device or online somewhere.

Having one copy on that one drive and system...there are far more ways to lose your data than just having to do a reinstall of Windows.