Question What is the browser that does not have any caching?

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
So-called privacy browsers are not enough. They still keep my browsing info and search strings I typed on my personal computer.

You might say "Just use Chrome and, to turn off browsing history, change settings as in https://www.wikihow.com/Turn-Off-Browsing-History-on-Chrome"

But that's inconvenient. I will later forget to do that once something changes.

I need a browser which doesn't save any browsing info or Google search history completely. Is there any such browser?

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
Private viewing doesn't add history to browsers. All browsers have private.

If I type "a" somewhere on the browser, then my previous google search strings that start with "a" are automatically shown.

If I reopen the browser, it shows me the list of webpages I previously visited.

I want to find a browser that never does this, even if I don't change any settings.

If I type "a" somewhere on the browser, then my previous google search strings that start with "a" are automatically shown.

If I reopen the browser, it shows me the list of webpages I previously visited.

I want to find a browser that never does this, even if I don't change any settings.
Try firefox you can play around with things it will clean when you close the browser.

Reactions: Cj-tech

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
Try firefox you can play around with things it will clean when you close the browser.

It is not enough to delete history after saving them on my PC. Is there a browser that does not save them in the first place? If there is no such thing yet, is that something possible to make if I hire a programmer?

USAFRet

Titan
Does it work only on Linux?

And "all is gone when you reboot" means the history is saved somewhere on my PC until I close the browser?
At most, any data is in RAM.
Which, being volatile memory, goes away at power off.
But you can't run a PC without some data living in RAM, at least temporarily.

That is a whole Linux OS.
Just one of the options you have when creating a Linux USB to boot from.
Nothing is saved to the flash drive, nothing is saved to any HDD in the system.

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
At most, any data is in RAM.
Which, being volatile memory, goes away at power off.
But you can't run a PC without some data living in RAM, at least temporarily.

That is a whole Linux OS.
Just one of the options you have when creating a Linux USB to boot from.
Nothing is saved to the flash drive, nothing is saved to any HDD in the system.

Sure saving on RAM is perhaps fine I guess. It just shouldn't be saved as files. I guess those "visited websites" and search histories are saved as files on my PC, aren't they?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i don't know of one that comes out of the box doing what you want. but many have it in the options to never save the history or search results. you will have to go into the settings to turn on the feature.

but there is nothing i know about that just does it right away. firefox let's you disable such things and will even let you delete everything everytime the browser is closed. so not just history but cookies and lots of other data as well.

you can do what you want but will have to take the moment to go into the settings and check some boxes :)

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
i don't know of one that comes out of the box doing what you want. but many have it in the options to never save the history or search results. you will have to go into the settings to turn on the feature.

but there is nothing i know about that just does it right away. firefox let's you disable such things and will even let you delete everything everytime the browser is closed. so not just history but cookies and lots of other data as well.

you can do what you want but will have to take the moment to go into the settings and check some boxes :)

Would it be a good idea to hire a programmer who will permanently ban it? If it is based on Chrominum, everything is basically the same as Chrome except the added features made by the programmer?

USAFRet

Titan
Would it be a good idea to hire a programmer who will permanently ban it? If it is based on Chrominum, everything is basically the same as Chrome except the added features made by the programmer?
Still trying to understand the backstory on this.

Many current browsers will delete whatever, upon closing.
A Linux Live USB will go one farther, and not write to a storage device at all.

But what are we trying to protect against?
What is you actual threat model?
Prevent who from seeing this?

Reactions: Math Geek

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
bit of info on what you are trying to accomplish and why would go a long way for us to maybe offer a solution. it seems we have offered it already so we must not be understanding what you are looking for.

could you provide some story here so we know what is needed here..

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Just adding to what's already been said. It's more or less like what USAFRet said above.

There's a standalone portable OS that lives in a flash USB and stores nothing and next session is just the OS like fist installation is called Tails. It can be used on any PC. You can find it here.

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
Still trying to understand the backstory on this.

Many current browsers will delete whatever, upon closing.
A Linux Live USB will go one farther, and not write to a storage device at all.

But what are we trying to protect against?
What is you actual threat model?
Prevent who from seeing this?
bit of info on what you are trying to accomplish and why ...... could you provide some story here so we know what is needed here..
There's a standalone portable OS that lives in a flash USB and stores nothing and next session is just the OS like fist installation is called Tails. It can be used on any PC. You can find it here.

My backstory is simple and usual story. I might share my PC with someone else, or my screen might be shared through screensharing during a Zoom meeting.

Changing the options of popular browsers like Chrome and Firefox is what I have been sometimes doing so far, but I am not choosing this option because it does not seem to last. I might be confused but when Chrome or Firefox updates, these settings seem to get reverted? Or when I reinstall it for whatever reason, or when I buy a new computer, I simply forget to change the setting. So I conclude that if there is a browser whose default setting is perfect, that will be good.

The LinuxUSB solution is something I will give it a try on my Windows computer. I hope I can use every feature.

USAFRet

Titan
Sharing the PC with someone else is handled by having different accounts.
What goes on in your Chrome browser does not bleed over into the other persons Chrome instance.

But also, I employ a couple of VirtualMachines. 'VM'
Both Linux and Windows.

If I ever want to do something that absolutely cannot affect the actual PC, do it in one of the VMs.
I use VirtualBox for this.

The guest OS is literally a whole second PC.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
so the live linux disk or a virtual machine are probably the best ways to do what you want. you can even use bitlocker to encrypt the virtual hard disk created with the vm if you are using the pro version of windows. it is literally an entire OS, so you can use zoom and browsers and whatever else you wish and it will be an entirely new machine just for you to use and do with what you want. don't have pro?? no biggie download it as an iso through the media creation tool and run it unactivated in the vm.

this way the settings won't matter and so on and so on as you will be the only one to access it.