[SOLVED] What is the difference between 3D NAND and 3D TLC?

Jul 14, 2020
I am looking for a 1TB SSD and find there are a lot of choices in the market.

In particular, I find ADATA GAMMIX S50 Lite is 3D NAND while ADATA GAMMIX S50 is 3D TLC.

What is the difference? Which one should I buy? Any advice please? Thanks.

It seems the former has higher MTBF but lower speed. The price is lower. Are these the only major factors I need to consider?

Solution
The terms are not directly comparable. SLC, MLC, and TLC are terms used to describe the amount of bits per cell. 3D NAND means that the cells are stacked creating a much higher density than the traditional 2D NAND memory.
Remember, manufacturers, especially IT component manufacturers, love to throw technical terms into the product name to make it sound better. Many times these terms have no direct correlation with actually being 'better'.
The terms are not directly comparable. SLC, MLC, and TLC are terms used to describe the amount of bits per cell. 3D NAND means that the cells are stacked creating a much higher density than the traditional 2D NAND memory.
Remember, manufacturers, especially IT component manufacturers, love to throw technical terms into the product name to make it sound better. Many times these terms have no direct correlation with actually being 'better'.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS