What Is The System Memory Multiplier?

ckaz

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Like the title says, but more, how can I use it to my advantage when oc'ing. See normally, no matter how much voltage I give my Q9400 cpu, placed on an EP45-UD3R mobo, I can never push it past 2.8ghz. Then, on a hunch, I went and increased my system meory multiplier to 2.00D. Doing that, I was able to push my cpu to a stable 3.5ghz. I had determined it was stable by running a prime95 torture test, but then, on another hunch, I used the blend test to test my RAM. Turns out my CPU was stable, but not my RAM. I then went and turned it back to auto (the system memory multiplier), and all of a sudden I have stable RAM again.
My RAM is DDR2 G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) PC2 8500, 1066. Based on that, could anyone give me an explanation as to why, when the system memory multiplier was increased, was I able to OC my CPU to such high levels, and why that caused my memory to fail. Yet when I put it back to auto, I could get my CPU as high as 2.8ghz, yet with stable RAM. What is a good setting for my specific RAM, and desired speed (3.5ghz).