what is this pentium

I am just looking into notebooks. There is one on EBAY that says:

Pentium M 745 1.8 GHz Processor

I'm not sure what that is??

Is that like a pentium 4???

Good? Bad??

I am just looking for a basic wireless notebook to use for word processing,
spreadsheets, internet surfing, and also playing poker online (no heavy
gaming needed).

Mel

Good. That's one of the latest notebook chips. The 745 is the meaningful
number in the new scheme of Intel's naming system. Only the D Dual
processors are a higher number.

Tom

MB_ wrote:
> I am just looking into notebooks. There is one on EBAY that says:
>
> Pentium M 745 1.8 GHz Processor
>
> I'm not sure what that is??

The Pentium-M is Intel's name for the current generation of Pentium
processors for laptops.

> Is that like a pentium 4???

Only slightly; it's actually closer to the Pentium-III from an
architecture standpoint -- but that's not a bad thing.

> Good? Bad??

Very good, the Pentium-M is arguably one of Intel's best chips in the
last five years. Although it's clockspeed is a bit lower than a
Pentium-4, the P-M is more effective per clockcycle and can outperform a
much higher clocked CPU. The P-M also produces much less heat (and
saves a lot of battery life).

> I am just looking for a basic wireless notebook to use for word processing,
> spreadsheets, internet surfing, and also playing poker online (no heavy
> gaming needed).

Well any notebook made in the last few years ought to be fine. I'd
either go with a Pentium-M or save some money and get a P3-M (but not a
Pentium-4M). My IBM T21 from 2001 ran WinXP fine on a P3-M 800MHz (just
try to go for at least 256MB of RAM, ideally 512MB). For word
processing, speadsheets, internet surfing, light online games (like
poker games embedded into web pages), a P3 would have more than enough
horsepower.

If you do go the P-M route, one thing to note is the latest generation
is number 7X0 with X between 3-8, higher being faster. The former
generation is numbered like 7Y5 with Y between 1-6. The newer
processors have a faster front side bus (FSB0 and can use dual date rate
(DDR) RAM but this has only translated to a slight (<10%) boost in speed
compared to a the previous generation at the same clockspeed.

TRENDING THREADS