[SOLVED] What is "Total System power" in hwinfo software??????

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if its base, its totally meaningless on my CPU.
Mine has base of 3.79ghz
its never there, its almost always way below it. Average clock speed all day has been about 200mhz (that is average of 12 threads though)

but then AMD don't measure TDP the same way as either Intel or most Heatsink makers so its like a security blanket, people think using Heatsinks rated to X TDP is going to save them, but its not. its just marketing. AIO makers don't even bother with tdp ratings. I don't know what mine is as they don't say.

Last edited:

Nikhilniks

Prominent
Apr 6, 2021
if its base, its totally meaningless on my CPU.
Mine has base of 3.79ghz
its never there, its almost always way below it. Average clock speed all day has been about 200mhz (that is average of 12 threads though)

but then AMD don't measure TDP the same way as either Intel or most Heatsink makers so its like a security blanket, people think using Heatsinks rated to X TDP is going to save them, but its not. its just marketing. AIO makers don't even bother with tdp ratings. I don't know what mine is as they don't say.
What i have acknowledged about Intel CPU is that their rated TDP is at base clock. Suppose there is no turbo boost in a processor and processor can only run upto its base clock only. In that scenario Stock cooler is powerful enough to dissipate heat produced at heavy load which will increase clock to its max i.e only upto base clock(remember no turbo boost). It means Temps will not reach Tjmax and hence there will be guaranteed performance (i.e continious base clock frequency will be there).
Now in reality scenario differs as there is a introduction of Turbo Boost. And when turbo boost kicks then actual TDP is way above than rated processor TDP. Hence default cooler is not powerful enough to dissipate such amount of heat and so frequency is throlled down. (You too have mentioned this: people think using Heatsinks rated to X TDP is going to save them, but its not , {{ and this might be the reason}} ).
In case of AMD I really haven't any idea.
I will talk to you another day on this topic if I will have doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.