aubycek

Reputable
Aug 9, 2016
Since I bought my i5-6600k, I knew my chip wasn't the best at overclocking. It could never handle an 'average' OC, like other people could achieve with this CPU (for example 4.5GHz at 1.3V). The odd thing about this is that unstable overclocks always hard-freeze my whole PC, instead of BSODing. So I just settled for 4GHz 1.2V, which was perfectly fine - ran at these settings for like 2 years without problems.

I've recently decided to overclock it more, but the damn thing can't even handle 4.2GHz at 1.36V, with LLC being either at Standard or High. Temperatures were fine and voltages corresponding to what I set them to. Again, people would reach 4.2GHz at almost stock voltages (1.2V).

What can be the problem here? I can't be THIS unlucky with my chip, there has to be something more to it... My BIOS is up to date, I even reinstalled Windows but the results are the same, so anything software related has nothing to do with it. I've read several guides on overclocking and even tried to OC based on a YouTube video where they had the same MOBO and CPU, so I don't think I'm doing it wrong. To make matters worse, it now started freezing even at my previously fine settings (4GHz 1.2V).

Note: I have replaced my GPU, PSU and all storages, but the same problem still persists, so these parts can't be the problem.

So, to conclude my questions: Why are unstable overclocks hard-freezing my PC, instead of giving me a BSOD, as it usually does to other people? Why could this be happening, or what can I do?
Here are my specs:
  • CPU: i5-6600k
  • MOBO: Gigabyte Z170 Gaming K3 (rev 1.1)
  • RAM: DDR4 HyperX Fury 2x8GB 2133MHz CL14
  • GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum 650W
  • Storage: Samsung 960 Evo
Any help is appreciated.

Solution
Thank you for the reply.
My PC is running without any problems when I disable OC, so the problem is definitely the overclock itself. I guess I'm just really unlucky then... I know that people are often unlucky with their chips, but I don't think I've ever seen someone having such bad luck where 1.36V at 4.2GHz is still not enough.
You can just take this as a learning with the silicon lottery, it does sound like you just lost and got a bad chip. So what you should do next is when you buy a new cpu buy it from amazon since they have a 30 day return and test your new chip and if you don’t like it return it until you get a good one.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Since I bought my i5-6600k, I knew my chip wasn't the best at overclocking. It could never handle an 'average' OC, like other people could achieve with this CPU (for example 4.5GHz at 1.3V). The odd thing about this is that unstable overclocks always hard-freeze my whole PC, instead of BSODing. So I just settled for 4GHz 1.2V, which was perfectly fine - ran at these settings for like 2 years without problems.

I've recently decided to overclock it more, but the damn thing can't even handle 4.2GHz at 1.36V, with LLC being either at Standard or High. Temperatures were fine and voltages corresponding to what I set them to. Again, people would reach 4.2GHz at almost stock voltages (1.2V).

What can be the problem here? I can't be THIS unlucky with my chip, there has to be something more to it... My BIOS is up to date, I even reinstalled Windows but the results are the same, so anything software related has nothing to do with it. I've read several guides on overclocking and even tried to OC based on a YouTube video where they had the same MOBO and CPU, so I don't think I'm doing it wrong. To make matters worse, it now started freezing even at my previously fine settings (4GHz 1.2V).

Note: I have replaced my GPU, PSU and all storages, but the same problem still persists, so these parts can't be the problem.

So, to conclude my questions: Why are unstable overclocks hard-freezing my PC, instead of giving me a BSOD, as it usually does to other people? Why could this be happening, or what can I do?
Here are my specs:
  • CPU: i5-6600k
  • MOBO: Gigabyte Z170 Gaming K3 (rev 1.1)
  • RAM: DDR4 HyperX Fury 2x8GB 2133MHz CL14
  • GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum 650W
  • Storage: Samsung 960 Evo
Any help is appreciated.

Hi @aubycek,

Set everything back to stock and see how the PC runs. As you know, some CPU's just OC better than others, even if they are the same make & model & some can just hold up to the added stress for longer than others. Pushing a chip, be it the CPU or GPU past it's intended settings can lead to premature death.

Your CPU may have just lost the silicone lottery is all. :) Have you had any power spikes lately? Storms where you live & the like? Is your PC connected to a good quality surge protector? If your system received more juice than it could regulate but not enough to actively fry anything, that could have also led to possible & unseen problems.

Your question about unstable OC's answered itself. They were unstable. I have a 2700X. Mine doesn't OC well but a friend of mines does. Why? It's all in the fab process. Sometimes you get lucky & sometimes you don't. There is no exact "be-all" answer I'm afraid. Some motherboards also provide better OC support as well as OC'ing isn't 100% on the CPU side. I do not know how well your mobo is at OC'ing though it sounds like it was decent for 2 years.

Sorry as I know the above didn't help...

Last edited:

aubycek

Reputable
Aug 9, 2016
Hi @aubycek,

Set everything back to stock and see how the PC runs. As you know, some CPU's just OC better than others, even if they are the same make & model & some can just hold up to the added stress for longer than others. Pushing a chip, be it the CPU or GPU past it's intended settings can lead to premature death. Your CPU may have just lost the silicone lottery is all. :)

Your question about unstable OC's answered itself. They were unstable. I have a 2700X. Mine doesn't OC well but a friend of mines does. Why? It's all in the fab process. Sometimes you get lucky & sometimes you don't. There is no exact "be-all" answer I'm afraid. Some motherboards also provide better OC support as well as OC'ing isn't 100% on the CPU side. I do not know how well your mobo is at OC'ing though it sounds like it was decent for 2 years.

Sorry as I know the above didn't help...

Thank you for the reply.
My PC is running without any problems when I disable OC, so the problem is definitely the overclock itself. I guess I'm just really unlucky then... I know that people are often unlucky with their chips, but I don't think I've ever seen someone having such bad luck where 1.36V at 4.2GHz is still not enough.

Jan 24, 2020
Thank you for the reply.
You can just take this as a learning with the silicon lottery, it does sound like you just lost and got a bad chip. So what you should do next is when you buy a new cpu buy it from amazon since they have a 30 day return and test your new chip and if you don’t like it return it until you get a good one.

Reactions: aubycek
Solution