Question What is wrong with my GPU (RTX 2070 Super) ?

Oct 15, 2022
I have been experiencing issues with my PC since today, was playing some games and then all of a sudden the pc crashes with a weird pattern, and have looked up all the errors on the net but nothing seems to work long term, some of the fixes i tired solved the problem for an hour or two. So far nothing seems to be working and hence i am posting her for some help.

NOTE: The moment the artifacts popup the PC hangs and crashes.

PC Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super FTW3 Ultra
MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Gaming X rev 1.0
RAM: Corsair Vengence PRO RGB 16GB 3200MHZ
SSD1: Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 512GB
SSD2: WD BLUE M.2 2TB
PSU: BE QUIET! STRAIGHT POWER 650W

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If I had to guess, it's the vram/buffer has suffered a heart attack. That's the usual cause of artifacts like that. That may or may not be due to thermal pad deterioration/failure and the vram overheated, or OC or just plain iffy quality vram that finally had enough.

Oct 15, 2022
If I had to guess, it's the vram/buffer has suffered a heart attack. That's the usual cause of artifacts like that. That may or may not be due to thermal pad deterioration/failure and the vram overheated, or OC or just plain iffy quality vram that finally had enough.

How would I check if the thermal pads are bad or have failed, I did notice some sort of oil build up on certain spots on the backplate is that a sign to replace the pads?

I have not oced the card since I had it as I was worried I may shorten the lifespan of the card.

Is there any definitive way to tell if the vram is shot?

Also when I managed to get the PC stable for a bit I ran Heaven Benchmark with Cinebench R23 and was monitoring the temps, but everting was under 70C.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Vram, VRM's don't have temp readers in most cards, the only temp available for a video card is the gpu processor itself. If the pads failed or the vram itself is shot there's no way to tell other than pulling the card apart and checking. Which voids any warranty, if there's any left on it.

That'd be first to check, warranty status.