[SOLVED] what kind of adapter to use for an old 2,5" IDE notebook harddrive?

foxfries

Reputable
Feb 14, 2019
the problem is as follows:
for quite some years i've had the intent to somehow gain access to my oldest hard drive, which i used in my first laptop until it broke about 10 years ago. now i've been occupied for a good while but i finally started looking into it again and it seems there are quite a couple of ways to connect this 15 year old hard drive to my current computer, my question now though is which one of them would be the best or "right" one.

it's a Fujitsu MHV2060AT 60GB, it has 43 pins (middle bottom one is missing by default) and 4 extra ones (jumpers?) to the right. i've done a lot of reading but i still can't quite figure it out. some people say you need an additional jumper cable to set the master/slave dynamic of the drive, others say you just need an adapter for the main pins.

i saw that you can get adapter cubes/cables that come with a designated power plug and multiple, different plugs for all kinds of hard drives, but at the same time you can also get a simple hard drive adapter case/caddy that converts the IDE pins into a usb 2 or 3 outlet or a cable-based version of that. the hdd has a rating of +5V, but i'm unsure as to how much power that is. would i need the entire cube setup that comes with an extra power cable or would the adapter/case be enough? i've read that often times, especially big hdds, can't receive enough power from a single usb port and therefore require multiple cables or a power plug, but i have no idea about an old notebook IDE hdd from 2005.

i'd be thankful for any help you can give me!

Solution
That one comes with everything you need. Typically laptop drives can be powered by the USB bus while desktop drives need the extra power.

TRENDING THREADS