Question What kind of motherboard is compatible(out of the box) with the 9th generation processor?

Apr 16, 2019
So basically, i bought an Intel i5-9400f from amazon, but i made a terrible mistake on not researching well into the motherboard-cpu compatibility stuff before buying. I was like "OK, since 300 series is supported, i'll get one easily", it's only now that i am coming to know that they apparently need a bios update and i read on several places (including this forum) that you require an 8th gen processor to update the bios (possibly due to the motherboard not booting with the 9th generation processor). So this puts me in a very confusing position as some people have also got a cheap h310 motherboard and they updated without needing an 8th gen processor.

So, is an 8th generation processor really required to update the bios?

If so, then i'm desperate to know what motherboard will work out of the box as i'm working in a limited budget and can't afford to buy an 8th gen processor. But, the processor has been bought two days prior only, so i can return it easily and buy a ryzen 2600/2600x if any of the motherboard currently don't support it out of the box. Again, i'm working on a tight budget and can't afford a 8th gen processor and i'd like to know as quickly as possible because there's still time to return the processor.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Z390 is the only one guaranteed, I believe. B365 chipset boards should be too, just not 100% sure.

Some retailers will list older boards (H310, H370, B360) specifically as updated with the latest BIOS to support 9th gen chips.

Some higher-end motherboards allow you to flash without a compatible CPU, but that's typically restricted to the high-end Z370motherboards, which doesn't really fit a 'budget'.

Retailers will typically update the BIOS for you too, likely for a small fee - they have compatible CPUs on hand afterall.

Apr 16, 2019
So i checked a few motherboards i.e Z390 UD and Z390m by Gigabyte along with Z390 P by Asus. Apparently, they released the bios update for 9th generation processors only recently.
Gigabyte, with their bios version "F7" released on 15th of march and asus with the bios version 2203 on 15th of april. So that again leaves me in a difficult position because i have by no means any way of contacting the seller( except for the slow amazon email system ) to check when their motherboard was manufactured or simply to update.

However before creating this thread i found multiple threads regarding the "out of the box" compatibility thing. The threads didn't confirm whether if the z30 series supports the processors out of the box. So, should i buy a z390 now?

note: it's urgent as i only have 4~5 days to return the processor

TRENDING THREADS