[SOLVED] What Liquid Should I use in my Custom Liquid CPU Cooler?

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Hello Everyone :) It's my first time using a liquid cooler, I have managed to get my hands on a 120mm Radiator, a CPU block, a pump and a couple of pipes. The paste I'm using is Arctic MX4. i7 4790k is the processor and Asus Maximus VI is my motherboard. It's my new gaming build and I'm planning to OC my processor and that's the only reason I've bought Maximus VI. Okay so right now I am using Car Radiator Coolant in my loop and I'm not satisfied by the results :( Here's the link to coolant: https://www.daraz.pk/products/guard...a0e.searchlist.list.4.3a337b7eRz111K&search=1

It's an open air build, room temp is 25C~29C, CPU is running 40C at idle and mid 60s while Gaming when the usage stays below 50% but for example, in NFS Heat, the usage goes up to like 90% and then the temps are 85C~90C :( The radiator's fan is running continuously at 100% speed but still I'm not able to get some good results. Is there something that I'm doing wrong? Kindly help. A friend of mine (still runs a core 2 duo xD) gave me an idea to try Distilled Water i.e. used in Car/Bikes batteries. Should i try that as well? :/ Here's the link to "that" distilled water: https://www.daraz.pk/products/batte...0e.searchlist.list.10.48d278deH1aknl&search=1

If you guys need any more info, kindly let me know. Thanks in advance. <3

Solution
I do NOT recommend any of those three options, but you MAY be close.

Plain water can work to move heat, but it can cause corrosion of the metal parts of your system. Tap water particularly can be bad that way - it depends a LOT on your local water supply. Distilled water is better because it has no trace contaminants that can cause corrosion. BUT it also has nothing to prevent corrosion from traces of stuff like oxygen from the air, and it can do nothing to prevent the growth of microorganisms to produce slime. You can buy small bottles of a formula to add to distilled water to provide the anti-corrosion and anti-microbial properties for use in your system.

But a reasonable alternative, although not the very best, might well be the...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I do NOT recommend any of those three options, but you MAY be close.

Plain water can work to move heat, but it can cause corrosion of the metal parts of your system. Tap water particularly can be bad that way - it depends a LOT on your local water supply. Distilled water is better because it has no trace contaminants that can cause corrosion. BUT it also has nothing to prevent corrosion from traces of stuff like oxygen from the air, and it can do nothing to prevent the growth of microorganisms to produce slime. You can buy small bottles of a formula to add to distilled water to provide the anti-corrosion and anti-microbial properties for use in your system.

But a reasonable alternative, although not the very best, might well be the automobile anti-freeze you have, but used differently. If you read its label carefully, I expect it tells you how to mix it with normal tap water to give a certain level of freezing protection in your car radiator. It also may tell you about the raised boiling point you get from that mix. What may not be so clear is that NOT diluting it with water is wrong! Pure auto anti-freeze without any water mixed in does not give the protection a car needs. Moreover, it has a higher viscosity and does not flow as easily.

For your use in the liquid cooling system, a pretty dilute mix of the auto antifreeze would be quite enough. Say, 2 parts anti-freeze and 8 parts water to give a 20% solution. Plain tap water for this is probably OK unless your local supply is really bad. Distilled water is ideal, but may not be necessary. Almost as good as distilled is the stuff called De-Ionized water, also available in bottles. If you make this mix and use that in your system, it will give you very modest improvements in freezing protection and boiling protection, but I'm sure that is NOT what you need anyway. What it WILL give you is anti-corrosion properites you do need, and maybe some anti-microbial action, too.

Reactions: taimoorbaig382
Solution

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
90C for car coolant is normal operating temperature
u can dilute it, water carry heat much faster than your coolant, tho water cant handle 100C :p

You'll never see 90C coolant temp in a liquid cooling solution in a PC.

90C reported by a CPU is reported die temp, and not coolant temp, just FYI. Coolant temp would be much, much lower, hopefully within 10-15C of ambient room temp. If not, your loop is not properly built.

Reactions: Paperdoc