Question what might be causing overheating in my laptop?

Jul 20, 2020
Hello, I have my laptop from around 2012, it's a national brand based on some Chinese model unknown to me. In the last year, I've been experiencing serious overheating problems. I cleaned up, as much as I could, replaced the thermal grease, and added thermal pads, I'm not sure about the part name I'm pointing out, but these seem to be too high, so I used two layers of the thermal pads to reach the dissipator.

laptop-vit-2421.jpg

temperatures go from 48 ºC with little CPU usage and the laptop shuts down around 80 ºC. It usually happens when trying to render videos or in high RAM consumption.

temps.jpg

some system information:

system.jpg

Display.jpg

Looking at your processor. It's max operating temp is 85. That's the lowest I've ever seen. I would consider replacing it with say ... an i5 2540 ... it's not much quicker but it's max temp is 100. Here in the states, it can had for $20 but I don't know where you live.

Reactions: cbaloa
Jul 20, 2020
Looking at your processor. It's max operating temp is 85. That's the lowest I've ever seen. I would consider replacing it with say ... an i5 2540 ... it's not much quicker but it's max temp is 100. Here in the states, it can had for $20 but I don't know where you live.

I'm not in the states but I will try to get it send to me, thank you.

Jul 20, 2020
Does your fan kick into high speed when the temp gets up to around 70?

Yes. it increases its speed around 60 ºC, but sometimes the temperatures go from 60 ºC to 80 ºC too quickly, and the fan has no chance to respond.

Also, the temperatures behave a little better when unplugged and working on battery.